The Official Best Animated Feature Thread

1998 through 2007
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Big Magilla wrote:Criddic is right. As long as the category exists and there are eligible films there should be nominations just as in any other category.

Correct. And that's why the category shouldn't have been created in the first place.

With such a small pool to choose from every single year, there is no incentive to make your animated film a great work for the ages. All you need to do is make it juuuust good enough in order for it to make money, and if an Oscar comes your way that's a side benefit. If there were 350 animated films every year, as there are 350 live action films, then I'd see the sense of it. Of course there are personal pet projects that come along, such as the Miyazaki films, the Wallace and Gromit and The Incredibles. But as we can see they're not going to come around every single year. That the films that have won so far are seen quality films is a matter of sheer luck.

I've never cared for Shrek, and I don't particularly love The Incredibles or the Wallace & Gromit film. And I'm a big animal lover, but if I see one more effin' penguin I'm coming down to the Antarctic with a rotisserie and a skewer.

How many of those films on the list are films with a bunch of talking animals? Every two weeks, it seems another painfully unfunny movie with snide, obnoxious animals comes out, cracking stupid jokes and banging their crotches into something.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

And I really think it is that "cuteness" that will get it the nod.

SEALION: I like you guys, with KETCHUP!

ROBIN WILLIAMS PENGUIN: Fine, but first you'll have to CATCH UP!

It is so corney, and yet, it seems to have so much potential.
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

LOL! Relax atomicage. If I'm not wrong, Damien has not liked any Goddamned Cartoon, right Damien?

Regarding Cars, I will be shocked if it doesn't turn out to be one of the nominees though I think there is a 1% chance it will be overlooked.

Btw, I've been enjoying the Happy Feet trailers especially the one where Williams sang the Spanish(?) version of My Way. So cute and funny! :laugh:
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

Damien wrote:
atomicage wrote:'Cars' -- Although it is said that this film did not reach the caliber of "Nemo" and "The Incredibles", it is still recieving great reviews. This will probably be this year's winner, and Pixar's third Best Animated Oscar.

It's not as "good" as those two pieces of crapola and you still think it's Oscar worthy?

Are you almost finished with your High School Musical coloring book?

Yeah, actually. I just got finished the "Get your Head in the Game" paint-by-numbers segment.

With all due respect, I think you are an idiot, sir. An idiot. What the hell kind of movies do you like, anyway? "Samson does Seattle"? Or, no, how about the classic "Daddy Uses Jumper Cables as Bondage Tools"?

"Finding Nemo" and "The Incredibles" were both fantastic films. "Cars", I am hearing from audiences and critics alike, is, while still above par, one of the least-liked Pixar films. And that's still pretty cool, considering the fact that Pixar has put out nothing but hits since "Toy Story".
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I'm (mostly) with Okri.

Shrek and Wallace & Gromit are MUCH better than the films that won Best Pic those years.

And the other three Animated winners are as good as the films that won Best Pic in their years.

My problem with this category has less to do with lousy winners and more to do with lousy nominees.

In '01, the Jimmy Neutron nomination over Waking Life represents, IMO, one of the Academy's all-time lows.

In '02, the category was unnecessarily expanded to include five (mostly lousy) nominees.

I never expected Millennium Actress to trump Brother Bear for a nod in '03, but after the atrocious Shark Tale scored a place instead of the superior and COMPLETELY nominatable The Polar Express, I figured the animation committee was absolutely bonkers.

I don't think this category should be cancelled this year: A Scanner Darkly and Cars are both worthy enough for nominations. I just find it hard to get very excited about either's chances for a win, mainly because the former hasn't got any and the latter's team has already been deservedly rewarded for far better achievements.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Wallace and Grommit >>>>> Crash
The Incredibles >>> Million Dollar Baby
Return of the King >>> Finding Nemo
Spirited Away >> Chicago
Shrek > A Beautiful Mind

Maybe it's just how crappy the best picture winners have been, but the animated winners completely wipe the mat with the live action mediocrities that have won best pictures.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Criddic is right. As long as the category exists and there are eligible films there should be nominations just as in any other category.

In 1975, Ellen Burstyn who won the previous year's best actress award, suggested that there be no award given for best actress that year as there weren't five decent lead actress performances. She may have been right, but her remark caused more hell than her blink-and-you-miss-her Emmy nomination for Mrs. Harris this year.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Well, it is supposed to be about what is the best of this year. If we had the luxury of closing down any other category for lack of classic-status contenders, there might come a year when they skip the awards all together.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I don't share the Damien-led contempt for recent animated features in general, and I think the five winners since the award's inauguration have been worthy enough (better than some other categories).

But, barring stunning reviews for Flushed Away or Happy Feet, I'd have to say this year's group reeks. Cars, for me, ranks at the absolute bottom of Pixar releases (previous place-holder: A Bug's Life). If that's being touted as the year's likely winner, I'm all for taking a pass till '07.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

The hatred for animated movies is sad to me. Several animated films have been joyous experiences for many audiences over the years. They are the artistic expressions of talented people.

I enjoyed Cars and Monster House (saw it in 3D). Neither one is really in line to be a great classic, but they were well done I thought. The animation and the stories were worthwhile. Neither one made gratuitous references to sex or profanity, making them good for the family. Neither one was a bore for most adults.

Should Happy Feet be good, I see this being the 3 movie list. If there's 5, I see the possibility for either Everyone's Hero (for sentimental reasons), Ice Age 2 (they nominated the first one), The Ant Bully (received well by most critics), and/or Over the Hedge (popularity) making the list as well.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

atomicage wrote:'Cars' -- Although it is said that this film did not reach the caliber of "Nemo" and "The Incredibles", it is still recieving great reviews. This will probably be this year's winner, and Pixar's third Best Animated Oscar.
It's not as "good" as those two pieces of crapola and you still think it's Oscar worthy?

Are you almost finished with your High School Musical coloring book?
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The option exists in the award rules that the Animation Committee can vote that the selections are not worth an award and not give one. However, I'm sure they'll do all they can to ensure the award continues.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Happy Feet looks dreadful, but I think it will likely win. There seems to be no passion for Cars at all.
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

OscarGuy wrote:I honestly think they should forego the award this year. The selection is terrible.

Wow. I never thought I'd see the day. Please, let us stop talking about discontinuing this award. I was so over-joyed when they first brought this award in 2001, because so many great animated films are overlooked by Clint Eastwood (whose "Million Dollar Baby" I was NOT very fond of) and other directors who can crap in their hands and still have the critics rave.

As of now, I am really hoping that "Happy Feet" does well, both in the box-office and the critics corner. It looks "March Of the Penguins" meets "Finding Nemo", which is, suprisingly so, a truly wonderful combination.

So, if you were to ask me, I would say that the five nominees will be:

'Cars' -- Although it is said that this film did not reach the caliber of "Nemo" and "The Incredibles", it is still recieving great reviews. This will probably be this year's winner, and Pixar's third Best Animated Oscar.

'Monster House' -- the animation looks a tad bit like something I could have done in my garage, but apparently the story and wit is so great that critics forgive the horrible look.

'A Scanner Darkly' -- an art film at it's best; live action animation?

'Over the Hedge' -- great cast, and apparently a great film

'Happy Feet' -- this is just speculation, I'm HOPING it's worthy of a nomination.

If they're going with three nominations, which I doubt they will, despite everyone else's opinions, I think it will be down to 'Cars', 'Over the Hedge', and 'Monster House' (replacing 'Monster' with 'Scanner' is acceptable in this case).

But to say, ah, forget this award, NOTHING deserves this, is to stab every animator involved in one of these films, and then twist the knife.

All in all, I'm going with 'Cars'.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I honestly think they should forego the award this year. The selection is terrible.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The 8th Decade”