Fall Predicitons

1998 through 2007
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Smart move on Dench's part as she would probably have a better shot at supporting actress. Affleck in support makes sense as well, although the competition seems tougher there this year.
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

I've read that Jeffrey Wells was told by a 20th Century Fox executive that in all likelihood, Streep will be pushed for lead.

I've also read somewhere (sorry, can't remember) that Dench said she wouldn't be campaigning for lead since she feels that Notes On A Scandal actually belongs to Blanchett.

As for Affleck in Hollywoodland, I think he'll be pushed for supporting since Brody is in the lead.

I shall come out with my Fall predictions later as well.
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I know it isn't Fall yet, but the publication of Premiere and Entertainment Weekly's Fall Preview issues traditionally bring on the Fall predictions. Of course what seems good on paper doesn't always work out that way and there's always an unforeseen sleeper lurking in the background, but as of now these are my fearless predictions:

Best Picture
The Blood Diamond
Dreamgirls
Flags of Our Fathers
The History Boys
Little Children

Outside chances: Babel, Children of Men, Hollywoodland, The Good German, The Good Shepherd, The Prestige and The Queen.

Best Actor
Richard Gere, The Hoax
Richard Griffiths, The History Boys
Toby Jones, Infamous
Forest Whitaker, The Last King of Scotland
Patrick Wilson, Little Children

Something tells me the actor nominns will lall be first timers this year. Griffiths, Jones and Whitaker seem sure bets. Gere as the infamous Clifford Irving seems to have his best shot yet and Wilson appears to have the best shot of any of the younger actors. Outside shots: Ben Affleck in Hollywoodland and former nominee Matt Damon in The Good Shepherd.

Best Actress
Judi Dench, Notes on a Scandal
Helen Mirren, The Queen
Meryl Streep, The Devil Wears Prada
Kate Winslet, Little Children
Renee Zellweger, Miss Potter

Unlike the actors, something tells me all the actress nominees will be repeaters this year. Dench and Streep are co-leads in their films who could just as easily be nommed in the supporting categories, but I have a hunch both will be pushed for lead. Mirren seems to be as close to a sure bet winner as anyone this year. Outside shots: Annette Bening in Running With Scissors, Naomi Watts in The Painted Veil, Keisha Castle-Hughes in Th Nativity and potential first time nominees Penelope Cruz in Volver and Beyonce Knowles in Dreamgirls.

Best Supporting Actor
Samuel Barnett, The History Boys
Adam Beach, Flags of Our Fathers
Gael Garcia Bernal, Babel
Tobey Maguire, The Good German
Eddie Murphy, Dreamgirls

Vets Michnael Caine in either Children of Men or The Prestige, Jack Nicholson in The Departed and Albert Finney in A Good Year could also be nominated, but like lead actor I have a feeling this year's nods will all go to first-timers.

Best Supporting Actress
Sandra Bullock Infamous
Jennifer Connelly, Little Children
Frances de la Tour, The History Boys
Jennifer Hudson, Dreamgirls
Gwyneth Paltrow, Infamous

Also possible: Jane Alexander in Fur, Ellen Burstyn in The Fountain and Jill Clayburgh in Running With Scissors, all of whom could get nominated for awards for just for just showing up, and often do.

Best Director
Bill Condon, Dreamgirls
Clint Eastwood, Flags of Our Fathers
Stephen Frears, The Queen
Alejandro Gonzalez Irarritu, Babel
Nichoals Hytner, The History Boys

Since it's rare for the Best Picture and Best Director categories to line up perfectly, I'm predicting the directors branch will nominate Frars and Gonzalez Irarritu (The Blood Diamond) over Edward Zwick and Todd Field (Little Children).

Return to “The 8th Decade”