Want to Help?

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Has anyone tried purchasing through the UK, Canada, Germany or French links yet? I want to make sure it's working. Please let me know if/when you do.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

There are now search links on the right hand side of my site, at the bottom of the column. There are search boxes to Amazon in the U.S., U.K., Canada, Germany and France. I couldn't read either the Japanese or Chinese sites well enough to register, so I gave up on those.

You should be able to search using these boxes and click through to the individual sites as posted below.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I agree that the UK is the only other one to go for. I occasionally purchase from France, Germany & Canada but it's very rare. A couple of times a year and then only one or two discs.

Whilst I order from the UK & US sites virtually every month.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I would think the one in the U.K. would be the one most commonly frequented by our members outside the U.S.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Ok. There are six regional Amazon sites outside the US (Canada, UK, Germany, France, China and Japan. Each has a separate associates program. Now, I can go through and read these to get information about joining, but before I do, I'd like to know who shops which countries so I don't have to bother with all of them right away (though, I may eventually to cater to different people in diff locs).
Wesley Lovell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

OscarGuy wrote:So, for now, it only works on the US pages, but I didn't think about the international ones and since we have people in Pakistan, Phillippines, Italy and other international destinations who may not go through Amazon US, I hope to have an answer soon to make it easier for them to participate if they want to.
I always use Amazon US so you can count on me Wes.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I did some testing this morning. I clicked through one of my links and then went and switched to UK and Germany. The linking information that would give me credit was removed and replaced with a standard link, so going that way will NOT give me credit.

I just e-mailed the associates program to find out if it's possible or if they have separate programs in those countries that I would need to sign up for or if it's even possible. I don't know how long it will take to respond, but fair warning that it won't work.

I did, however, read some other data for the US site. If you click through and place the item in your cart within 24 hours, I get credit. If you go to another site and then back again without going through my link, I won't get credit. So, if you leave Amazon for any reason before you place your order or get it into your cart, I will not get credit.

So, for now, it only works on the US pages, but I didn't think about the international ones and since we have people in Pakistan, Phillippines, Italy and other international destinations who may not go through Amazon US, I hope to have an answer soon to make it easier for them to participate if they want to.

Since Peter's DVD Report and my reviews are the only ones that have the links, I'll try to remember to look at creating a "store" on my site at some point to make it easier. There are also links on the Resources page down under the Literary Resources where you can find links to Oscar-related books (the set is a bit out of date though, so it may be missing some works). Also, on the DVD Report page where you can go back to old articles that weren't done in wordpress, there are links on the right that will take you to Amazon as well.
Wesley Lovell
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Wes, I've just purchased a DVD from Amazon's German site and entered Amazon via your CinemaSight.

The total cost was about $30US. Could you post on this thread if you receive something from it because I order from the UK site on a monthly basis and if you get the German one it means you should get the UK ones as well.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I do a good portion of my Christmas shopping on Amazon, so Ill make sure to link through you, Wes.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Well, I tried it out and it placed a Toy Story 3 blu ray into my shopping cart. I changed that to 0 and then clicked on Amazon.com on the top left hand corner of the screen.

So I assume that when I start buying it should contect to this site?

I am going to do a big American order later in the month and I will probably buy something from Amazon's German site over the weekend so you can see if it works.

Edited By Precious Doll on 1288942858
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The only way is to test it out. If you want to go through and buy something on Amazon, (or have already), I can look through the list of items bought and determine whether your order was one of them.

And don't worry if it's a third party item. I still get some credit for them.

Here's an example. For October, 16 items were purchased totaling $416.81. I earned $25.02 from it. So, not a lot based on the volume, but still a good chunk (btw, it's around 6%, not 2% as I originally thought).
Wesley Lovell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Clicking the link will take to to Amazaon.com.us. From there you can click on other country versions at the bottom of any page. Whether that helps Oscarguy or not, I don't know.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't think it does. I don't know, though. I don't know if when you click the link it takes you to your country's version and you get credit or not. That data is not presented in my monthly report.
Wesley Lovell
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

OscarGuy wrote:When you purchase through these links, I get a very small portion of the sale from Amazon.com (1% to 2%).
Does this include other Amazon sites, i.e. the UK, French & German sites?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Yes indeed. There are also ads all over CinemaSight.com (which, if you aren't reading, I encourage you to).

Magilla, FilmFan, MovieWes and I put a lot of work into CinemaSight and we would appreciate your readership.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1288898265
Wesley Lovell

Return to “General Off-Topic”