R.I.P. Precious

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Thank you everyone for your kind words.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I´m sorry!
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I'm very sorry. Through your avatar, Precious has become a part of all of our lives.
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Extremely sorry to hear about your loss.
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

I'm very sorry...
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

As I recall, Precious Doll, you also lost a cat back in '06, the year I (and Damien as well, I believe) lost cats. Seeing as how the wound of that year remains fresh for me and my wife, I'd imagine it's especially hard to deal with another loss so relatively soon.

There's nothing to say except the banal -- "You're lucky to have had such a wonderful animal so long", etc. -- but I do offer my most sincere sympathy.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I am so sorry. :(
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I'm so sorry to hear the sad news. As I said to Wes last week, there is a special bond between humans and their pets because of the way we interact and communicate with each other, creating a bond that's as strong in its own way that people have with each other.

When our Tiffany died a few years ago, we cried for weeks, so I know how you're feeling.

Thinking of you.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I'm so sorry.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Very sorry to hear about your loss. Our pets are our most beautiful commodities. They are a model of unconditional love. If only society truly understood these magnificent beasts the way their owners do, perhaps we would be a better society.

My deepest regrets and condolences.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

One week after Wes lost his much loved Idgie my beloved Precious passed away this morning.

It's Precious who's photo appears on this board in a photo taken when he was about 16 weeks old.

He was the very first cat that I obtained for myself in November 1996 at the age of 12 weeks old. I had long wanted a ruddy Abyssinian and a local breeder put me in contact with a lady from Canberra who breed ruddy Abbeys. At the time my partner traveled alot for work and collected my kitten on one of his trips.

I named him after a minor character played by Mary Portser from the John Sayles film Passion Fish called Precious. I'd never heard the name Precious used before and decided that when I adopted a cat that that is what I would call them.

He was an incredibly smart cat who dominated our household. He was also one of the most handsome cats I had ever seen. I don't know what many times I would just look at him, struck by his beauty. He could be somewhat aloof and loved sharpen his claws on the carpet stairs. I'd hiss at him, he'd look at me and then run off.

Seven weeks ago I discovered that he was suffering from feline diabetes. Insulin treatment was a risky option in this case and on the vets advice I decided not to take the risks which would have included substantial stress to Precious.

Over the weekend, Precious was simply not himself. He was moving slowly, not eating very much and was becoming very listless.

I obtained a urine sample from Precious this morning and took it to the vets. The results were my worst fears realized and euthanasia was the only option.

Thankfully our vet does home calls so later this morning he came around with a vet nurse. Precious passed away peacefully at 10.50 am.

The vet called before leaving the surgery so whilst waiting for him to arrive we nursed, cuddled and rocked him.

I am having him cremated but Have not decided what to do with the ashes. Plenty of tears have flowed today and probably will for the next few days.

Precious (26 August 1996 to 12 April 2009) is survived by his long time companion Dolly (he is 3 weeks younger then Precious).

Edited By Precious Doll on 1271063014
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “General Off-Topic”