Super Bowl XLIV - Who dat?

Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sonic Youth wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:Sonic, you never like the half-time performers, do you? Do you think all baby-boom rock-stars should hang it up?
Me??? I'm certain I've never said anything like that. I thought the recent half-time shows have been pretty awesome for the last several years. Tom Petty, U2, Springsteen, the Stones all did great jobs and I'm not even fans of of them all. And Prince's set was one of the most glorious things I've ever seen.

But the Who, not so much. Pete and Rog just don't have the voices to carry their songs anymore. I'm positive the trademark scream in "Won't Be Fooled Again" was prerecorded. Sorry. I did enjoy the lasers.
Sorry; I obviously had you confused with someone else. I recall alot of people moaning that both Springsteen and the Stones should hang it up; I apoligize for attributing it to you.

I actually have no opinion about The Who, as I had to do an outdoor errand for my wife during halftime. I only by the skin of my teeth got back in time for the onside kick.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Mister Tee wrote:Sonic, you never like the half-time performers, do you? Do you think all baby-boom rock-stars should hang it up?

Me??? I'm certain I've never said anything like that. I thought the recent half-time shows have been pretty awesome for the last several years. Tom Petty, U2, Springsteen, the Stones all did great jobs and I'm not even fans of of them all. And Prince's set was one of the most glorious things I've ever seen.

But the Who, not so much. Pete and Rog just don't have the voices to carry their songs anymore. I'm positive the trademark scream in "Won't Be Fooled Again" was prerecorded. Sorry. I did enjoy the lasers.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1265662715
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I work across the street from a whole bunch of Tom Benson dealerships. God, I am envious of the employees over there this morning! :D
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

You should have been here on July 5, 2004. :D
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

My wife, as many may know, is from New Orleans, so we had a great emotional investment in the game. Things looked glum in the first quarter -- not the score so much as how the Colts seemed to be rolling over the Saints -- but the last-minute field goal to end the half gave a glimmer of hope, and then the onside kick was a jolt of lightning. Nothing, though, compared to the late interception...extraordinary that the same guy, in two successive games, managed key, game-turning pickoffs off two legendary quarterbacks.

kaytodd, my wife has been in touch with several friends in N.O. for the past week, so has at least heard the excitement second-hand. With Mardi Gras just eight days away, it's easy to imagine something like a week-plus of partying. And alot of the country shares the feeling, given the grim history of the franchise and the city's recent troubles -- imagine if the Amazin' Mets had had their win shortly after 9/11.

Sonic is correct: in the early years, it was taken for granted the Super Bowl would be a dreary, lopsided game. The '79 Steelers/Cowboys match-up, which managed to end up with a close-ish score despite being a mostly unremarkable game, was touted well out of proportion to its achievement ("This One Was REALLY Super!", said SI), simply by comparison. But this past decade the game has lived up to it status as the premier match-up of the sport. This one may not have been quite on a par with the Giants' or Patriots' wins for drama, but it was damn close.

Sonic, you never like the half-time performers, do you? Do you think all baby-boom rock-stars should hang it up?
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

kaytodd wrote:The entire city has been giddy the last couple of weeks. I am looking forward to work tomorrow.
I assume it will be a slow day in New Orleans, with hangovers galore.

What an exciting game! And Saints linebacker Scott Fujita, who is vocal about supporting gay and reproductive rights, is my new hero.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

The entire city has been giddy the last couple of weeks. I am looking forward to work tomorrow.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

One of my college roommates plays for the Saints. Which means one of my college roommates now has a Super Bowl ring?! Bizarre...
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Didn't the Super Bowl used to be the lamest, dullest game of the season? That hasn't happened for eight or nine years now. I was sorta kinda nominally rooting for the Colts, and as they outclassed the Saints in every way during the first half it looked like we were finally going to get that long overdue yawner of a Super Bowl. But how can anyone outside of Indiana not be thrilled for New Orleans and not marvel at that magnificent comeback? Congratulations.

Even the commercials were pretty okay this year, although the same can't be said for The Who. Pack it in, guys.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “General Off-Topic”