Grievances Aired

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I really don't see any positive coming out of this thread. And I'm sorry Zahveed, but that means your wife is a midget and therefore not a real person.
"How's the despair?"
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote: He was, in fact, the only person who said in the private thread that he thought it should be made public so the main person being discussed could read it.
Ah, the only one... Congratulations to all the others then...
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Glad to hear Penelope is in private communication with someone. I know others have been trying to get a response from him, but to no avail.

But let's stop this ganging up on Cam. When he talks about "kids" he is not talking about people of a certain age, but people who "act" like kids in his estimation. He isn't saying anything behind anyone's back he isn't saying for them to see. He was, in fact, the only person who said in the private thread that he thought it should be made public so the main person being discussed could read it. I do wish he'd stop all those allusions to Chloe Sevigny's cousin, though. She was a one-issue poster who was so convinced her cousin was going to win the Oscar she had so much egg on her face she disappeared the mintue Anglina Jolie won instead.

I guess we could have an off-topic thread called Bitching and Moaning. If no one uses it, all the better.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sabin wrote:Great idea, Wes. I'll start.

Mister Tee, you can go fuck yourself. Either you're for midgets as pets or you're against. But none of this pussyfooting horseshit. Fuck you and die on a cock! For or against, or you're not grown enough to have an opinion and we don't fucking need you on the planet! Worthless!
You've convinced me. I'll switch my position.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

For the off-topic record: my wife is legally a midget. 4'9''
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Sabin wrote:Great idea, Wes. I'll start.

Mister Tee, you can go fuck yourself. Either you're for midgets as pets or you're against. But none of this pussyfooting horseshit. Fuck you and die on a cock! For or against, or you're not grown enough to have an opinion and we don't fucking need you on the planet! Worthless!
I'm with Sabin. It's a terrible, unproductive idea.

All I care about is that Penelope is okay, and I'm sure the rest will resolve itself in time.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Great idea, Wes. I'll start.

"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

From this point forward, I'm going to create a place for you guys to argue if you insist. If you want to go off-topic, try to find somewhere else to go, but if you have a grievance you wish to air, you can do it there.

I don't want this shit leaking into other discussions so that people feel that they have to stop reading them. I want more people to stay and participate. For every argument we have, there is at least one person who sees it and never comes back. Who wants to be a part of a board where they are viciously attacked for no real reason.

You can say whatever you want, but be civil. I have a very low tolerance right now for vitriol of any kind. You're adults and you may preach that censorship is bad, but mature adults don't act the way I've seen a number of people act. If you want to be an ass, do it elsewhere. Treat your fellow board members with respect.

If you disagree, state your case and then move on. If it's clear there is no winning, back away and move on. Anonymous and I really should have stopped our Sweeney discussion sooner because it wasn't a debate that could be won. We both felt strongly on our side of the matter and thus we had a tete a tete that wasn't in our best interest.

Italiano and I went on and on about the vote splitting thing. We should have ended it sooner. It didn't and as a result an entire thread had to be closed just to end a pointless debate that had verged off topic in an area that was highly visible and had the potential drive away potentially great members.

There are off-topic sections for a reason. Use them. If you want to bring up something slightly tangential to an existing topic or debate something similar, move it to a new thread. Don't turn the thread into a cess pool.

We've all done it, but we all have to start controlling it. If we can't, then the board will collapse on its own without any help from me shutting it down.

Let me know if you think a grievances forum would be a good addition. If no one wants it and no one uses it, then I won't create it.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Another chime in with Sabin (though I'm iffy on the pet thing).

When I was a kid, my mother had an experience with some friend who was feuding with another friend of theirs, and told my mother she'd have to choose between them. My mother said anyone who issued such an ultimatum was asking to be the one not chosen. I apply that standard today.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

cam wrote:I'll wait to see if the kids leave. They remind me of Chloe Sevigny's cousin, but fortunately, she did not bombard us with antagonistic posts. She was just as omipresent, though.

I'm really not trying to dog you out here Cam (though I'm sure you'll be offended anyway, I expect a private meeting about ME next!) but can you stop for a minute and think about how comments like these sound? Since this thread is about "airing grievances", I'll just say you guys are always accusing other people of inflaming the discourse on this board, but it's not like you are completely innocent either. Especially when you subtly pit it as a war of "us" vs. "them", "long time posters" vs. "newbies", "older posters" vs. "kids." I mean, we get it, YOU'RE OLD. Moving on...

...word to everything Marco and Sabin said. And now that Penelope is OK (thank goodness), can we just stop bitching about the bitching?

Um...only the sexy midgets.

Edited By Akash on 1202919574
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I agree 100% with Sabin

People should be allowed to keep midgets as pets.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I agree 100% with Sabin.

Those who even just undirectly suggest censorship of ANY KIND (or who cowardly half-agree with it) haven't lived in a real world till now. What they are doing, by the way, is an act of much worse violence than the one they accuse others of.

We all know those who are behind this. I don't care much anymore, and I certainly don't want to start a war now, but some of the posts in this thread are, for me, unbelievable. Anyway let's forget their oily way of doing and let's go back to more important things.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

You want me out of here too, Cam?

Was any of this necessary? Honestly, we can all breathe a sigh of relief that Penelope is okay and well but did a goddamn minute of this need to reach the light of day?

To the best of my knowledge, only one person was asked to leave before...that one dude who clearly only came to discuss his conservative point of view. I don't recall the other person. I do have experience in the removal of a Board member...filmgabber. We were debating the death penalty, it leaked on the Board, fg was warned to desist, he got offended and left. And I didn't even request a warning be made!

We lost a friend for no reason. I do not want to see anybody else excised for no reason. For the life of me, I do not understand why everybody on this Board has to be so thin-skinned! This is ludicrous! Going the teachers for help doesn't work in middle-school, it doesn't work in high school, and it doesn't work here. I'm going to use this thread as initiative to say that if anybody is kicked off without damn, damn good cause or warned for that matter, I'm out. This is an Oscar Discussion Board and that ANY kind of situation like this can get so histrionic and out of hand is unreal.
I do not want to be a part of a message board if I can't say whatever horseshit goes through my head. Also, I think people should be allowed to keep midgets as pets.
"How's the despair?"
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Sonic Youth wrote:He earlier alluded to something about his state of mind that I don't even want to speak about in explicit terms
I wonder why not. Is it a taboo for you? Try to be more explicit, Sonic Youth - your posts in this and other recent threads are masterpieces of allusions, something that honestly I never expected from you. From others, maybe.

Unlike what you say, Penelope didn't allude - he was very clear. And thank god he's relatively well now - we are in contact privately, so I know for sure that things are getting better for him.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I'm also extremely worried about Penelope. I private messaged him but if he's not visiting the board, he may not get it. I know at least one other person has tried to contact him. If anyone else can, please do. His language in this thread (and other places) is cause for alarm.

Edited By Akash on 1202869857

Return to “General Off-Topic”