Mondo Kim's Moving to Sicily

rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Thanks for the link. I'd heard that the collection was looking for a new home, but I never imagined it would have ended up in Sicily!

Thankfully Le Video here in San Francisco is still plugging along. I refuse to join a subscription DVD service- even though in the past couple years I've been paid to do freelance writing for one!
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

Recent years have seen a number of video stores closing down due to services like Netflix and, in urban areas at least, rising rents. I think I first read about NYC's Mondo Kim's Video here on the UAADB about a decade ago, thanks to Ed Gonzalez probably. The video rental section, ~55K titles strong, has closed down and the collection will move to the city of Salemi, in Sicily. Being that there are several New Yorkers here, and that Kim's was one of the few nationally famous local video stores (like Scarecrow in Seattle, or Odd Obsession in Chicago) I thought it might be of interest to report.

http://vanishingnewyork.blogspot.com/2008/12/kims-to-sicily.html

Dec 31, 2008 was its last day open. I returned my last videos there--two by Bertrand Tavernier, neither of which are on Netflix I might add--a day or two before that.

RIP.

Return to “General Off-Topic”