Out Magazine's 50 Most Powerful Gay Men and Women

Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

They stay in the closet because it's sexier. Duh.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Ellen's show was cancelled not because she was gay but because after the season she came out, the show fell into the ratings toilet.

Her sexuality may have been a small part of the issue, but it was well known that the show was foundering.

I don't think Foster coming out would hurt her career, because as of late, it's hardly been much of anything. And with two Oscars under her belt and the perception, even among straights, that she's a lesbian hasn't hurt her, so I doubt a rumor being confirmed will do anything.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Akash wrote:Ian McKellan is much older - the rules are different for younger actors trying to land roles as romantic leads, or even action films. And Ellen's show was cancelled not long after she first came out.
True but she bounced back. Neil Patrick Harris and T.R. Knight are still gainfully employed in their respective hit shows.

But, yeah, I see your point.

QUESTION: Has an openly gay/lez/bi actor ever won an Oscar? Or has an Oscar winning actor ever came out as gay/lez/bi later on?
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

But neither McKellan or Everett were established "movie stars" when they came out; until a Foster or a [insert your A-list gay actor/actress here] comes out, we really won't know how it'll effect their career.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Ian McKellan is much older - the rules are different for younger actors trying to land roles as romantic leads, or even action films. And Ellen's show was cancelled not long after she first came out.

It certainly does make a difference. Rupert Everett has been vocal about losing leading roles as an openly gay male actor.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Precious Doll wrote:I also think she may also be afraid of the effects coming out could have on her career. This is always a price to pay in this world.
It didn't exactly hurt Ellen DeGeneres and Ian McKellen, did it?
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I also think she may also be afraid of the effects coming out could have on her career. This is always a price to pay in this world.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I tend to side with anonymous on this one. It's not as if she goes around talking about everything but her sexuality. She rarely (if ever) mentions the problems she's had with her father, or the John Hinkley Jr. situation, or her kids (except to say that motherhood is the reason she rarely works now). She considers her sexuality to be part of her private life, not public life.
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Her sexuality is under attack? Under question, yes, but attack?
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I think Jodie Foster's reason is: Her private life, including her sexuality, is nobody's business. I think she came very close to coming out when she did a guest appearance on Ellen DeGeneres and she vaguely made a joke about it.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Damien wrote:43. Jodie Foster
Here is something from imdb.com:

Foster's Sexuality Under Attack Again in Gay Magazine

Actress Jodie Foster's sexuality is under attack again - this time from one of America's top gay magazines. The bold editors of Out have put an image of two models holding masks of Foster and CNN newsman Anderson Cooper over their faces on the cover of the upcoming May issue, over the headline: "The Glass Closet: Why the stars won't come out and play." The lifestyle magazine's May issue features a list of America's most influential gay men and women, but editors couldn't resist taking a swipe at Foster, who has been the subject of lesbian rumors for years. According to the editors, the controversial cover image is "a sly commentary on the way that semi-closeted celebrities hide in plain sight." The accompanying article, penned by leading gay writer Michael Musto, sets out to challenge stars like Foster to address the sexuality issue that dogs them, rather than simply avoid the question. Musto writes, "It's true that stars are free to put up whatever walls they want in order to maintain boundaries with the public." Meanwhile, entertainment mogul David Geffen tops Out's gay power list.

My thoughts: I really don't understand why Jodie Foster doesn't come out of the closet. It must be one of Hollywood worst kept secrets. It's quite ironic too that Fosters best roles (Silence of the Lambs, The Accused, Carny, Candleshoe & Inside Man) are somewhat dykey.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Out Magazine has a story on the 50 Most Powerful Gay Men and Women in America. On the cover are models holding Jodie Foster and Anderson Cooper masks. (Not everyone on the list is out.)

Here's the list:
1. David Geffen
2. Anderson Cooper
3. Ellen DeGeneres
4. Tim Gill
5. Barney Frank
6. Rosie O’Donnell
7. The New York Times Gay Mafia: Richard Berke, Ben Brantley, Frank Bruni, Stuart Elliott, Adam Nagourney, Stefano Tonchi, and Eric Wilson
8. Marc Jacobs
9. Andrew Tobias
10. Brian Graden
11. Jann Wenner
12. Andrew Sullivan
13. Suze Orman
14. Joe Solmonese
15. Fred Hochberg
16. Christine Quinn
17. Perez Hilton
18. Scott Rudin
19. John Aravosis
20. Sheila Kuehl
21. James B. Stewart
22. Nick Denton
23. Tom Ford
24. Nate Berkus
25. Adam Moss
26. Jim Nelson
27. Lorri L. Jean
28. Adam Rose
29. Annie Leibovitz
30. Simon Halls and Stephen Huvane
31. Bryan Lourd
32. Bryan Singer
33. Jonathan Burnham
34. Brian Swardstrom
35. Robert Greenblatt
36. Chi Chi LaRue
37. Dan Mathews
38. Neil Meron and Craig Zadan
39. Ingrid Sischy
40. Marc Cherry
41. Carolyn Strauss
42. Irshad Manji
43. Jodie Foster
44. Christine Vachon
45. André Leon Talley
46. Hilary Rosen
47. Matthew Marks
48. Benny Medina
49. Mitchell Gold
50. David Kuhn
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Return to “General Off-Topic”