RIP Estelle Reiner

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Estelle Reiner, wife of Carl and mother of Rob, dies at 94
By SHALLON LESTER

Thursday, October 30th 2008, 3:31 PM

Estelle Reiner, matriarch of the Reiner comedy clan, died Saturday in Beverly Hills. She was 94. Born in the Bronx in 1914, Estelle Lebost graduated from the National School of Design during World War II, becoming the first female isometric draftsman to work at Sperry Rand.

There, she drew up blueprints for assembly workers manufacturing submarines and planes for the war effort. She wed Carl Reiner while he was on a weekend pass from the Army in 1943.

While Carl would go on to become one of Hollywood's most successful moguls as a film and TV producer, director, writer and actor, Estelle was far from the typical Tinseltown housewife.

She appeared in "When Harry Met Sally," directed by her son Rob, as the diner patron who famously deadpanned to a waitress, "I'll have what she's having" in response to Meg Ryan's infamous faked orgasm.

At the age when many people retire, Reiner decided to become a jazz singer. At 65, she began performing in clubs around the country, continuing until she was 93. She released seven albums, including "Ukulele Mama" and "Grown Up Songs for Kids," a collection of standards.

Singer-songwriter Dave Frishberg told Variety, "I feel comfortable entrusting my songs to Estelle Reiner, whose musicality shines through every track."

In the 1970s, she also enjoyed success as an artist, presenting four one-woman shows of her paintings. Not only did she raise three children - Rob, Lucas and Annie - but she also found time to study acting with Viola Spolin and Lee Strasberg.

The family requests that donations in her honor be made to Save the Children.

Edited By Penelope on 1225413721
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Return to “The People”