I'm finally going (back) to the U.S.

danfrank
Assistant

Re: I'm finally going (back) to the U.S.

Post by danfrank »

Yes, congrats on getting the visa. I have lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for most of my adult life. Currently I live a couple of hours east in the Sierra foothills, but come to SF at least a couple of times per month (partly to see films which don’t show on my area). I will likely be traveling (to Oaxaca) for a week or so in October, but if our schedules match up I would love to meet. Feel free to private message me.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: I'm finally going (back) to the U.S.

Post by Reza »

Congratulations on getting the visa.
anonymous1980
Laureate

I'm finally going (back) to the U.S.

Post by anonymous1980 »

To people who have known me a long time, they would know I have been to the United States several times in the past...as a child and a couple of times as an adolescent. But I haven't been since. In case you didn't know, it is quite difficult to get a U.S. tourist visa as a young, single Filipino citizen with not a lot of money. It's expensive too (you have to pay $185 non-refundable, whether or not you get the visa).

I tried and failed twice. I've pretty much given up. But last year, my mom wants to go the U.S. to visit my aunt who just had her first grandchild. Of course, my mom isn't young. She'll need someone to go with her, to carry her stuff, make sure she's well. My brother is married and busy with his own family. My dad isn't interested in traveling so that leaves me. She figures I've worked in the same job for years, have enough savings and a good enough reason to go that I can get approved. She hired a travel agent to sort of "coach me" on what to answer during the interview (it's the interview where I usually flunk, I get nervous and get tongue-tied).

It worked. I finally have a U.S. ten-year multiple entry visa. I'm finally going back to the U.S. later this year, most likely October.

I will be mostly in the San Francisco area since that's where my aunt lives but I do plan on spending a few days in Los Angeles as well. I don't know if there are any people here who want to meet the famous not-so "anonymous" but if you are in these areas, let me know, maybe we can have coffee or see a movie or something if I'm free. :)

Return to “General Off-Topic”