Napoleon reviews

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Napoleon reviews

Post by Sabin »

OscarGuy wrote
I've seen a couple of very enthusiastic initial reactions. One of those was from an Academy member.
True. I think I spoke a little too soon. There does seem to be an appreciation.

Currently, it's sitting on a 70 on Metacritic and a 69 on Rotten Tomatoes, which is not a recipe for a Best Picture contender. But early reactions suggest a funnier, weirder film than one would expect. At the very least, I'm mistaken. I thought it was going to be a flop but it appears to have something to offer.
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

From the trailer it seems to have a similar sweep like a David Lean film. That alone makes it seem like a worthy film to go and watch on the big screen. Such epic films are rarely made today so this one seems to be a good reminder of a genre that is totally dead today.

Pity Phoenix mumbles (as per the review - mentioned below). Weird acting choices by actors today - like the upturned mouth and "duh" expression throughout by DiCaprio in the Scorsese film.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I've seen a couple of very enthusiastic initial reactions. One of those was from an Academy member.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Reviews seem to be in two camps:
-it's a mess
-it's a mess but the director's cut will/might be better.

So it's a typical Ridley Scott film.

Possible for tech, sound, maybe Vanessa Kirby. I haven't heard anything about the music.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

From Variety's review:

"The director’s motives are unclear, much like those of Napoleon Bonaparte as played by Joaquin Phoenix, who gives a mumbly and oddly anti-charismatic performance..."

I got that from the trailer. I wasn't looking forward to watching this at all. Thought it might grab a few technical nods, but now I'm wondering if it will even get those.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Napoleon reviews

Post by Mister Tee »

Some Oscar-obsessed people have always viewed Ridley Scott as among the unjustly unrewarded, and have had this on their lists. But it doesn't seem like much from these reviews.

https://variety.com/2023/film/reviews/n ... 235790009/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235647400/

Return to “2023”