R.I.P. Burt Young

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: R.I.P. Burt Young

Post by Mister Tee »

Just for the record: in real time, I thought of Young as the natural nominee for Rocky (more prominent role) and Meredith the coattail-er. Not that Meredith isn't a far more impressive actor, with much the stronger resume (and a nomination just the year prior). And both might well have been left off if Rocky had been some minor thing, rather than the ultimate best picture winner (neither made the Globe list, despite Rocky winning Best Drama there). But, in the context of Big Film That's Going to Get Acting Nominations, my first supporting actor instinct was Young.

I'd thought of him as not having had much career beyond the infinite Rockys, but I see he had a massive number of credits, right up till 2021, including a couple I've seen, like Transamerica, Back to School, and Win Win. And, of course, his Curly in Chinatown is not to be forgotten.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

flipp525 wrote
Wasn’t Young just nominated that year for Rocky? Or was this a typo? Assuming the latter.
Typo. Yes.
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Sabin wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:16 am He worked pretty constantly, both in film and television. It's nice that he has an Academy Award to his credit. He's the kind of character actor who rarely gets a moment of recognition. I remember him being a pretty unexceptional coattail nomination but after rewatching the film recently he's still certainly coattails but Paulie has a bit more anger and bite to him than I remember. The last film I remember seeing him in was Win Win (a film I like more the more I think about it) where he played an elderly man under conservatorship.
Wasn’t Young just nominated that year for Rocky? Or was this a typo? Assuming the latter.

I think he appeared in almost all the sequels, I think. “Adrian” dies at some point.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

He worked pretty constantly, both in film and television. It's nice that he has an Academy Award nomination to his credit. He's the kind of character actor who rarely gets a moment of recognition. I remember him being a pretty unexceptional coattail nomination but after rewatching the film recently he's still certainly coattails but Paulie has a bit more anger and bite to him than I remember. The last film I remember seeing him in was Win Win (a film I like more the more I think about it) where he played an elderly man under conservatorship.
Last edited by Sabin on Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Shame it took 10 days for word of his passing to get out.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

R.I.P. Burt Young

Post by Reza »

Return to “The People”