R.I.P. Jimmy Buffett

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P. Jimmy Buffett

Post by Big Magilla »

It helps to know a few people who are wasting away in Margaritaville. I've known a few.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

I don’t have antipathy toward the man, whom I know little about except that he accumulated great wealth. The music just grates at me, an involuntary reaction.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I'm honestly astonished people can work up the energy for such antipathy. Change the station? Leave the party? I can see that if it was The Archies (or -- my contrarian taste -- ABBA). But for somebody as minor-key happy as Buffett?

Then again, he's not exactly been a major presence in my life. He had his brief period of prominence, where Margaritaville and Changes in Latitudes appeared in rotation on the radio, and I neither loved not hated them, just considered them part of the background music of my young life. Except for when Margaritaville pops up on a soundtrack, I haven't really thought of him since. Apparently Sonic's experience is way different.

Amyway...each man's death diminishes me, even this in its small way.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Just not my jam. For decades now, every time a Jimmy Buffett song comes on the radio, I switch to a different station. Like Sonic, I respect that he was able to develop such a devoted following. Just don’t make me listen to his music.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I think Jimmy Buffett is great. Whenever he comes on, I know I'm at the wrong party. It's time to leave.
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

When Gordon Lightfoot passed away, I was puzzled by notices calling him “legendary”, figuring it was just Boomer hyperbole. But I was soon set straight. Turned out a lot more people than I realized were fans of his, and not just Boomers. So I figured Lightfoot was an artist with a devoted following who just passed me by.

Jimmy Buffet is an even stranger puzzle. To me, he’s fine. Friendly, amusing, like that, not a significant figure in my personal soundtrack. But his fan base is a real phenomenon. How did such a laidback unassuming artist like Buffett grow and cultivate such an intense following? (And you can’t call it a cult following. It’s much too big for a cult.) He was never a superstar, like Dolly Parton. His music didn’t chart much. And there are lots of singer-songwriters who worked as long as he did, and none of them had a following like his. Not even close. Turned out he had a genius for business so maybe that was a factor. I’m writing this with no disrespect intended. He accomplished a lot and had a full life, and he won the love of millions all the way to the end. Not a bad way to spend your limited time here. I’m just at a loss as to why it happened to him of all people.

I had a dentist several years ago who was a huge fan, and had Buffet’s Sirius radio station piped into his office. He had it on for hours every single day. (I’m assuming. It was on at all my appointments.) That, I do not understand. However prolific a writer he was, it’s still a limited songbook. So… set me straight again, please.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

R.I.P. Jimmy Buffett

Post by Big Magilla »

All was quiet in Margaritaville as Jimmy passed away peacefully on the night of September 1st surrounded by his family, friends, music, and dogs.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna103104

Return to “Broadcast Media”