Best Supporting Actor 2022

For the films of 2022

Who should have won and who will be remembered most?

Brendan Gleeson - The Banshees of Inisherin
4%
Bryan Tyree Henry - Causeway
No votes
Judd HIrsch - The Fabelmans
No votes
Barry Keoghan - The Banshees of Inisherin
32%
Ke Huy Quan - Everything Everywhere All at Once
16%
Brendan Gleeson - The Banshees of Inisherin
8%
Bryan Tyree Henry - Causeway
No votes
Judd HIrsch - The Fabelmans
No votes
Barry Keoghan - The Banshees of Inisherin
12%
Ke Huy Quan - Everything Everywhere All at Once
28%

Total votes: 25

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Best Supporting Actor 2022

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

danfrank wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:04 am I, too, like the addition of guessing who will be most remembered. Since you used 50 years as a marker, I looked back at the supporting actor nominees of 50 years ago. They were:

Eddie Albert in The Heartbreak Kid
James Caan, Robert Duvall, and Al Pacino in The Godfather
Joel Grey in Cabaret

Remarkably, 4 of the 5 nominees are very well remembered, given the legacy of those two films. Eddie Albert would clearly be the odd man out here. If I had to pick one who is the most remembered among the general public it would have to be Pacino, given how popular The Godfather continues to be. Most indelible in my personal memory is Joel Grey because that performance is just so vivid, and probably because I’ve watched Cabaret several more times than The Godfather.
Yes, four out of five of those performances still resonate with audiences today and three of the four actors are still alive and amazingly still active. 91-year-old Joel Grey was just honored with a career achievement Tony last night, and 83-year-old Pacino is expecting a baby with his latest girlfriend who at 29 is young enough to be his granddaughter.

For the 2022 group, Koeghan will be 81 and Henry 91 if they are still alive. The others will all be over 100 so even if any of them are still alive they are likely to have been long retired. Koeghan, in addition to having arguably given the most memorable performance, has the advantage of being the longest lived with the longest list of more recent performances behind him in 50 years, but we can't know that. So, we can only go by the performances themselves.

If we look back 65 years at the best actor nominees, which performance still resonates? James Dean's in East of Eden, of course. There is still an audience for that film. Not so much for Ernest Borgnine's Marty, James Cagney's gimpy gangster in Love Me or Leave Me, Frank Sinatra's Man with the Golden Arm, or Spencer Tracy's one-armed man in Bad Day at Black Rock.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:13 pm Keoghan is superb in a film I really loved but I think Quan will be remembered 50 years from now because audiences today have no appreciation for anything subtle and old fashioned. It's all about noise and quirk which was in huge supply in Quan's film and performance.
Trends change. Everything old is new again at some point.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Keoghan is superb in a film I really loved but I think Quan will be remembered 50 years from now because audiences today have no appreciation for anything subtle and old fashioned. It's all about noise and quirk which was in huge supply in Quan's film and performance.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

I, too, like the addition of guessing who will be most remembered. Since you used 50 years as a marker, I looked back at the supporting actor nominees of 50 years ago. They were:

Eddie Albert in The Heartbreak Kid
James Caan, Robert Duvall, and Al Pacino in The Godfather
Joel Grey in Cabaret

Remarkably, 4 of the 5 nominees are very well remembered, given the legacy of those two films. Eddie Albert would clearly be the odd man out here. If I had to pick one who is the most remembered among the general public it would have to be Pacino, given how popular The Godfather continues to be. Most indelible in my personal memory is Joel Grey because that performance is just so vivid, and probably because I’ve watched Cabaret several more times than The Godfather.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Keoghan, although if Dano had been nominated that would probably change. I like Hirsch a lot in The Fabelmans but I think his nomination over Dano will seem really odd in hindsight.

I do think Quan will probably be well-remembered though. I think Bryan Tyree-Henry may be the one that people struggle to remember in a few years, not because his performance is bad (it's not), but because his film suffered from the "drop it on a streamer and forget about it" mentality that kills so many movies now.
CalWilliam
Temp

Re: Best Supporting Actor 20222

Post by CalWilliam »

A nice addition to these polls, thank you.

I also think Barry Keoghan should have won this Oscar, but I voted Brendan Gleeson for the future memory, because I think revisionism of his character -which is more complex, and also supporting in my view- will bring more in-depth discussion about the movie itself. Maybe fifty years from now some will judge Keoghan’s performance the same way a lot of people judge John Mills’ win for Ryan’s Daughter today, who knows. Judd Hirsch was wonderfully rescued in a wonderful film, but it’s just too little time. Brian Tyree Henry is really good and subtle in a really mediocre film, and Ke Huy Quan won mainly for his narrative and for having a lot of things to do in the movie almost everyone got inexplicably crazy about. It’s a nice performance.
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I voted for Keoghan for mostly the same reasons Sabin did.

I have no expectation of being around fifty years from now but hopefully however old movies are seen then will keep Banshees around for new generations to discover it.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I would've voted for Barry Keoghan over Brendan Gleeson even though I think they're both fantastic. Keoghan gets the edge for me mainly because I view Gleeson's as a leading role.

(Keoghan is the only nominee I would nominate. I'd have Gleeson in lead. Keoghan would be joined by Zlatko Buric (Triangle of Sadness), Justin Long (Barbarian), Theo Rossi (Emily the Criminal), and Nicolas Hoult (The Menu). I have yet to see Armageddon Time.)

Fifty years? I hope we're still around by then. I think there are going to be a lot of opportunities for roles that will demonstrate Barry Keoghan's talent as the years go on so I'm going to say Barry Keoghan. I think his scene with Kerry Condon will be fondly remembered.
Last edited by Sabin on Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Best Supporting Actor 2022

Post by Big Magilla »

Who do you think should have won, and which of these performances do you think will be remembered most fifty years from now?

Vote twice. First option will be for who you think should have won the Oscar. Second option is for who you think gave the performance that will be remembered best fifty years from now.

You can vote for the same performance twice or change it up.

Return to “95th Academy Awards”