Killers of the Flower Moon reviews

mlrg
Associate

Re: Killers of the Flower Moon reviews

Post by mlrg »

Just left the theater.

As most of Scorsese movies, this left me cold. He’s probably the best director with whom I find it very hard to make an emotional connection with. I preferred Wolf of Wall Street to both The Irishman and this. It was an uncompromising movie. And Scorsese is much better at that in my opinion.

It’s a towering achievement though. But it waaaay too long. The last half hour is very good.

Both di Caprio and de Niro are tremendous. This is de Niro’ best performance this century by far.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Sabin, the “birth of the FBI” storyline (which, as I’ve gathered is a HUGE part of the book) is minimized in favor of telling the emotional story of this extended family and what happens to them. I felt like it was just the right amount of it and that Scorsese struck the right balance between the two threads which eventually coalesce.

I think this is his best film since The Wolf of Wall Street. I thought there was a lot to admire about The Irishman, particularly Joe Pesci’s performance which I thought should have won that year, but this movie moved at a better clip and seemed tighter. I’m one of the few people who hasn’t seen Oppenheimer yet, but I think Leo is a strong candidate for Best Actor this year. He’s very good.

Lily Gladstone’s performance, while powerful and constant throughout the film, may be too recessive for Academy tastes but she will be nominated.

My Best Supporting Actress wishlist includes Cara Jade Myers who plays one of Lily Gladstone’s sisters. She steals almost every scene she’s in and has a harrowing final scene.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

flipp525 wrote
I attended a sneak preview of Killers of the Flower Moon tonight. Still processing as I literally just walked out, but this is a major work from Scorsese and included some interesting “surprises” that I won’t give away including some really greats cameos.
I've had to reschedule my ticket time twice this week (including sadly missing out on a Holdovers screening) but I cannot wait to see this film.

There's a little bit of talk going around about how the "birth of the FBI" angle was minimized in the film. Did you find the movie that we ended up with lacking in any way? Or needing something like that?

Refresh my memory, how did you feel about Scorsese's last handful of projects and how does this stack up?
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I attended a sneak preview of Killers of the Flower Moon tonight. Still processing as I literally just walked out, but this is a major work from Scorsese and included some interesting “surprises” that I won’t give away including some really greats cameos.

Lily Gladstone is very much a borderline supporting/lead performance, but I could see her getting into the lead category as she is such a strong presence throughout the film and unquestionably the film’s female lead character. It’s a very strong performance.

It took me awhile to warm up to what Leo was doing in this but once I did, I was hooked. His last forty minutes or so are pretty phenomenal including his (and Gladstone’s) last scene.

Robert De Niro is casually chilling throughout and seems like a sure-fire nominee (not approaching win consideration for me though). I loved what John Lithgow did with limited screen-time. He’s always good.

The supporting cast is wonderful from top to bottom and I would single out Cara Jade Myers who could honestly get in what’s looking like a rather anemic supporting actress race. She stands out for sure.
Last edited by flipp525 on Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

One thing that could keep Gladstone in support is that De Niro, who of course has a bigger name as well as having an equally large role, will likely be campaigned in support. Another is that she is silent in many of her scenes while DiCaprio raves and rants. That, though, didn't stop Luise Rainer from outshining Paul Muni in The Good Earth.

Then there was Hud in which Melvyn Douglas whose role was larger than Patricia Neal's won for supporting actor while she won for lead actress.

On the other hand, criticisms have been made that the camera's focus in on DiCaprio in scenes that should favor Gladstone, putting her at a disadvantage.

It could also be a repeat of 1984 when Peggy Ashcroft won the NYFC award for Best Actress but most other awards in support.

It's really too early to say either way.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Yeah, my takeaways is that Lily Gladstone is our frontrunner for Best Supporting Actress and the film will probably show up across the board for at least nominations. Gladstone being the standout is especially heartening. She really should have been nominated for Certain Women in 2016 (Kidman and Spencer were throwaway noms that year) and I feared she'd never find a role like that again simply for lack of options that get an audience.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Time will tell, but even the mixed reviews single out Gladstone's performance.

She doesn't need to be campaigned. It's one of those roles that speaks for itself like Scarlett in Gone with the Wind although the character seems to be more like Olivia de Havilland's Melanie which was relegated to support at the Oscars so as not to compete with Leigh. There is no competition here. She is the female lead and the soul of the movie. There will be hell to pay if they campaign her in support, especially if she wins major critics award in lead.

Do I think she will have a career approaching anywhere near the heights of Vivien Leigh's? No, but it could give her staying power.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 6:07 amGladstone, however, goes from being a frontrunner for Best Supporting Actress to the presumptive lead for Best Actress. While all the other contenders for the award are being presumed worthy based on past performances, she leaps ahead with some of the best reviews ever for a heretofore taken for granted actress. This is Vivien Leigh in Gone with the Wind territory and Scorsese's first real shot at having directed a Best Actress winner since Ellen Burstyn in Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore. Give her spot in Supporting Actress to the always watchable Tantoo Cardinal.
Have they announced that Gladstone will be campaigned in the lead category â la Michelle Williams last year? I think she will go supporting and win. Isn't a comparison with Vivien Leigh a bit much?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

While it's still too early to say whether this is the clear front runner for Best Picture and Director, these reviews clearly indicate that the film and Scorsese will be in the running as will DiCaprio for Best Actor. DeNiro becomes a major contender for Supporting Actor.

Plemons is likely out of the running. Gladstone, however, goes from being a frontrunner for Best Supporting Actress to the presumptive lead for Best Actress. While all the other contenders for the award are being presumed worthy based on past performances, she leaps ahead with some of the best reviews ever for a heretofore taken for granted actress. This is Vivien Leigh in Gone with the Wind territory and Scorsese's first real shot at having directed a Best Actress winner since Ellen Burstyn in Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore. Give her spot in Supporting Actress to the always watchable Tantoo Cardinal.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Scorsese within easy reach of his second (and third) Oscar he has so coveted. And maybe a third, finally, for De Niro? And it goes without saying that Lily Gladstone will also win.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Wonder if they'll trim it down a bit. These reviews are a bit more measured that one would hope.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Killers of the Flower Moon reviews

Post by Mister Tee »

I was out all afternoon; I'm surprised no one beat me to posting these.

Many raves, a couple of too-damn-long's...on the whole, a very solid response to a movie for which expectations could barely be higher.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235496646/

https://variety.com/2023/film/reviews/k ... 235614694/

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/killer ... ic-reviews

Return to “2023”