2023 Emmy Awards

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: 2023 Emmy Awards

Post by Big Magilla »

This is so deja vu all over again. Does anyone know anyone who is planning to watch?

The Iowa caucuses tonight are going to take up all the oxygen in the news.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

FINAL PREDICTIONS!

OUTSTANDING DRAMA SERIES
Succession (HBO)

OUTSTANDING COMEDY SERIES
Ted Lasso (AppleTV+)

OUTSTANDING LIMITED SERIES
Beef (Netflix)

OUTSTANDING VARIETY TALK SERIES
The Late Show with Stephen Colbert (CBS)

OUTSTANDING VARIETY SCRIPTED SERIES
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO)

OUTSTANDING VARIETY SPECIAL - LIVE
Elton John Live: Farewell from Dodger Stadium (Disney+)

OUTSTANDING REALITY-COMPETITION SERIES
RuPaul's Drag Race (Bravo)

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Kieran Culkin, Succession (HBO)

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Sarah Snook, Succession (HBO)

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Matthew McFadyen, Succession (HBO)

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Jennifer Coolidge, The White Lotus: Sicily (HBO)

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING FOR A DRAMA SERIES
Peter Hoar, The Last of Us ("Long, Long Time") (HBO)

OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A DRAMA SERIES
Jesse Armstrong, Succession ("Connor's Wedding") (HBO)

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
Jeremy Allen White, The Bear (FX)

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
Quinta Brunson, Abbott Elementary (ABC)

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
James Marsden, Jury Duty (Freevee)

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
Ayo Edebiri, The Bear (FX)

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING FOR A COMEDY SERIES
Christopher Storer, The Bear ("Review") (FX)

OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A COMEDY SERIES
Jason Sudeikis, Joe Kelly and Brendan Hunt, Ted Lasso ("So Long, Farewell") (AppleTV+)

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR IN A LIMITED SERIES or MOVIE
Steven Yeun, Beef (Netflix)

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A LIMITED SERIES or MOVIE
Ali Wong, Beef (Netflix)

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A LIMITED SERIES or MOVIE
Paul Walter Hauser, Black Bird (AppleTV+)

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A LIMITED SERIES or MOVIE
Niecey Nash Betts, Dahmer - Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story (Netflix)

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING FOR A LIMITED SERIES or MOVIE
Dan Trachtenberg, Prey (Hulu)

OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A LIMITED SERIES or MOVIE
Weird Al Yankovic and Eric Appel, Weird: The Al Yankovic Story (Roku)

OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A VARIETY SERIES
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Reza wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:04 am
anonymous1980 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:38 am To the surprise of no one, the Emmy awards have now been officially postponed.
To January, I believe.

Does this mean that it is confirmed that the strike will last till January or is there a chance it could be called off before?
I think January is the worst case scenario. No one wants to hold the Emmys the same month as the winter film and TV awards. I think the Television Academy would like to hold it no later than November (they were postponed to November before back when 9/11 happened).
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

anonymous1980 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:38 am To the surprise of no one, the Emmy awards have now been officially postponed.
To January, I believe.

Does this mean that it is confirmed that the strike will last till January or is there a chance it could be called off before?
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

To the surprise of no one, the Emmy awards have now been officially postponed.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

HarryGoldfarb wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:42 pm
danfrank wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:55 pm I looked up the answer to my own question and indeed, Succession’s 14 acting nominations is the most ever in a single year. The previous record holder for a drama series was The West Wing with 12, and the most by any type of show was 13 for Roots, the one series I was wondering about when I asked the question.
It is a tie, tying the previous record holder: its own season 3, the real record-breaker. It could have broken its own record had Justine Lupe or Zoe Winters gotten nominated.
Thanks for that. I’m not sure why the article I read didn’t mention that. One could still make the argument that this year’s numbers are more impressive in that 9 of the 14 nominations are for regulars on the show, while last year fully half of the acting nominations were for guest slots.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I'm not done with Jury Duty yet but I really appreciated that it took a high concept approach to create something low-key. The pitch for the show is The Office meets The Truman Show. It's about a wacky jury in a disastrous case gone wrong, except everyone in the series is an actor playing a part except for one guy (who works at Home Depot) who answered a craigslist ad and doesn't know he's in a hoax mockumentary series. It has the same BTS (behind the scenes) interstitials featured in The Office, Parks & Rec, and Abbott Elementary, but the added element of a real guy who doesn't know he's in a show really brings some new life into it. He's just smiling like an idiot and trying to play along (he apparently clued in that something was wrong by day two). In a year where every episode of Ted Lasso is a goddamn hour, I appreciated Jury Duty's dedication to just doing something a little fresh and trying to make people laugh.

It also has a real reason to feature BTS camera interstitials, which is something we never get in Abbott Elementary. Why on Earth would they let a camera back there around those kids? I don't know if I ever wrote about my thoughts on Abbott Elementary. I think the world its depicting is fantastic but there's a few things about that hold me back from really loving. First of all, it's more warm than funny, but it certainly thinks it's funny. It's clearly doing the Leslie Knope arc where we are going to slowly follow Quinta Brunson go from eager underdog to principle over the course of several years. So, the comedy comes from rooting for Quinta's character and finding her hilarious (yes to the former, eh to the latter) as well surrounding her with a wacky cast. But we've seen characters like Janelle James and Lisa Ann Walter too many times before for them to feel especially fresh and singular. Tyler James Williams and Sheryl Lee Ralph fare better because they're playing more interesting characters. But what I think is interesting about Abbott Elementary is in many ways it's the first BTS sitcom of the post-social media consciousness era. One of the joys of The Office and Parks & Rec is you were watching a show about lonely, isolated people (especially The Office) and hearing their thoughts. There was a sense that these disconnected people were using the camera as their weird confessional. In Abbott Elementary, these people are post-social media. They're less lonely weirdos and more discourse savvy. It's not a good thing or a bad thing, it's just a noticeable shift in style.

I'm happy that a show like Abbott Elementary is a hit without especially feeling the need to watch it all the time.
"How's the despair?"
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

danfrank wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:55 pm I looked up the answer to my own question and indeed, Succession’s 14 acting nominations is the most ever in a single year. The previous record holder for a drama series was The West Wing with 12, and the most by any type of show was 13 for Roots, the one series I was wondering about when I asked the question.
It is a tie, tying the previous record holder: its own season 3, the real record-breaker. It could have broken its own record had Justine Lupe or Zoe Winters gotten nominated.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Completely agree with Flipp and am ALSO very shocked (not dws, just those who watched) most didn't know Fahy was almost certainly the actor/actress from the show checked on most ballots first. She had the buzz the second her "kidnap Harper" episode aired!

While most all TV is consumed differently now...White Lotus had a season 2 (based upon the wild buzz and success of season 1) which was a complete throwback to the Sopranos/SATC days and appointment television. Not a lot of water cooler discussion nowadays but Fahy was the antithesis from what I could read...in many eyes/articles, even moreso than Mike's muse, JC.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OK, you made me look them up! :|

I had Sabrina confused with Eleonora Romandini who played the other prostitute who became the house pianist.

We all know that Jennifer Coolidge is going to win again. It would be more suspenseful if they had nominated her in lead to give one of the real supporting players a shot.

I just found out a week or two ago that Jon Gries who played Coolidge's husband in ten of the series' 13 episodes played Joan Hackett's son in Will Penny in which he made his film debut at 10 against the wishes of his father, Tom Gries, who directed the film. The film's producers found him playing on the set and cast him over the professional child actors they had interviewed. He's been acting ever since.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Big Magilla wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:40 am I know hat Fahy played Theo James' wife, but I couldn't tell you which of the other two played which Sicilian prostitute without looking them up.
Just FYI: Sabrina Impacciatore played Valentina, the hotel manager. Simona Tabasco played the prostitute who has sex with Michael Imperioli's son who becomes smitten by her.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

danfrank wrote
I DO like all the actors in The Bear and am glad to see those noms. The first season was compelling, but the new season is something special. Even though these noms are for Season 1 I wonder if voters will reward it for its superior achievement in Season 2. The Emmy voting season can be weird that way.
That's what I'm thinking, especially considering that Abbot Elementary failed to get any writing or directing nominations. Unless of course Ted Lasso wins again, which is entirely possible.

There was a brief window when Emmy voting and mounting abuse allegations against the creators of The Other Two were taking place. This resulted in news of the series' cancellation as well as its first Emmy nomination for said series creators... who are now persona non grata within the industry.
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I’m kind of surprised by the response to Meghann Fahy’s nomination here which was on my wishlist for yesterday. Her performance is one of the best parts of the season. Two scenes in particular (telling Harper about her personal trainer and the scene in the last episode between her and Nathan) were very strong. Most predictions lists included her, Aubrey Plaza and, of course, Jennifer Coolidge.

Fahy wasn’t swept in, she was always a lead contender for a nomination.
Last edited by flipp525 on Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Looks like the Emmy voters decided to concentrate mainly on Succession, The White Lotus and The Last of Us. I don't blame them. Who the hell has time to sit through so many different shows!
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I tried to watch Succession several times. I got through most of season one when season four dropped but it became too much for me and I haven't got back to it since. Maybe I should just watch season four.

I don't get why all those actors and actresses were nominated for White Lotus. Those three ladies (Fahy, Impacciatore, and Tabasco) give the kind of performances that used to get actresses nominated for a Best Newcomer award at the Golden Globes. I know hat Fahy played Theo James' wife, but I couldn't tell you which of the other two played which Sicilian prostitute without looking them up.

Return to “Broadcast Media”