Final Thoughts

For the films of 2022
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: Final Thoughts

Post by Mister Tee »

flipp525 wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:Deep in party prep, but a few things crossing my mind:

In many ways, I hate to see this day arrive. I know it's what gives it all its meaning, but it's been so much fun to have such a high level of suspense that I hate to see it resolved...especially if it ends up happening in the most boring way imaginable. Butler/Yeoh/Quan/Bassett would be a real letdown, after such an intriguing year.
This quad didn’t even win and you’re still letdown though!
As they say, apparently I needed to be more specific.

I did actually comment, at my party, that Curtis winning was at least not as poor a choice as Bassett. And I indicated elsewhere that I found Fraser a somewhat more acceptable choice than Butler. Though, in each case, it was only my fourth choice triumphing over my fifth choice, which does not a happy Oscar night make.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Mister Tee wrote:Deep in party prep, but a few things crossing my mind:

In many ways, I hate to see this day arrive. I know it's what gives it all its meaning, but it's been so much fun to have such a high level of suspense that I hate to see it resolved...especially if it ends up happening in the most boring way imaginable. Butler/Yeoh/Quan/Bassett would be a real letdown, after such an intriguing year.
This quad didn’t even win and you’re still letdown though!
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Eenusch
Graduate

Post by Eenusch »

Does anyone know who is presenting Best Picture?

I was hoping for Gene Hackman as there isn't much time left.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Final Thoughts

Post by Mister Tee »

Deep in party prep, but a few things crossing my mind:

As usual, I've done a survey of predictors (friends/professionals/etc.). My summary of them is: there are 3 absolutely universal predictions: Ke Huy Quan, Avatar visual effects, and All Quiet International Film. There are several others that are all-but-locks: Everything best picture (two people, not including here, opting for All Quiet -- reminding me of the lone LA Confidential predictors in 1997; to be fair, also the lone Moonlight predictor 6 years ago), the Daniels in directing (a few Spielberg die-hards), and Pinocchio in animated (one whimsical Marcel prediction). There are many roughly 2-1 choices (Yeoh, Women & Everything's screenplays, Elvis' costumes and make-up), but, given the hive-mindedness of these folk, just having that much dissent suggests more fluid races than usual. And then there are the true huhs? -- supporting actress, score, production design, editing. Hoping the winners tilt toward the unpredicted.

For some reason, it hits me how much I miss the Honorarys being given on-air. In the old days, whatever the current race, I could take comfort in knowing I'd at least see a speech from Cary Grant, Groucho, Myrna Loy, Deborah Kerr, or Robert Altman, I don't know if this year's pack will even show up, but I know I won't see Liv Ullmann give the speech she deserves.

Proving there's-no-telling, my mother LOVED Banshees. Said it reminded her of everyone in her Irish family. I had to prod her to even mention the fingers.

I feel like the only way the best actress outcome can not feel like some kind of injustice is for Blanchett and Yeoh to tie. But, as always, must recall that, while the wish for the tie is emotional, the fact of one is pure mathematics, and unbelievably unlikely.

Return to “95th Academy Awards”