Independent Spirit Award Winners

For the films of 2022
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Re: Independent Spirit Award Winners

Post by Sonic Youth »

Sabin wrote: Best Lead Performance: Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All At Once
Best Supporting Performance: Ke Huy Quan, Everything Everywhere All At Once
If they're going to condense the acting categories but keep twenty nominees, can't they at least find a way to have four winners? Part of the fun of awards shows is seeing which actors - the public figures the viewing audience most readily responds to - win. This cuts the entertainment value by half.

Maybe they can have Best Career Veteran Performance to compliment Best Breakthrough Performance.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:I always thought it was Bi-op-ic personally and I'm not from California, so don't assume it's a Cali thing.
It's not. I assumed Californians knew better.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I always thought it was Bi-op-ic personally and I'm not from California, so don't assume it's a Cali thing.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Oh, and could someone tell California born and raised Hasan Minaj that biopic is pronounced bi-o-pic, not bi-op-ic?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Okri wrote:Sideways, Fargo and Stand and Deliver each had 6. So did Moonlight if you count the ensemble category, which isn't a competitive one.
Proving that more at the Spirits means less at the Oscars, at least until now?

I watched the opening monologue - was the cannibal joke a new low even for this group? Then I watched Aubrey Plaza repeat half of Hasan Minhaj's material before giving Ke Huy Quan his award where he gave a different speech than he's been giving but all it amounted to was reading a bunch of names, most of whom no one ever heard of before. Then some other guy came on yelling something or another and I'd had enough.

I tuned back in about an hour and fifteen minutes later where the show had improved. Presenters were now presenting instead of doing stand-up schtick and the acceptance speeches had gotten better with the Women Talking group a real standout. The speakers were Polley, her brother John Buchan the casting director, and Judith Ivey and one of the little girls (Emily Mitchell?) while the more famous actresses stood behind them. Frances McDormand did not take the stage but sat in the audience where she could smile every time that they mentioned her name.

Ivey, by the way, won the AARP Movies for Grownup Award for Best Supporting Actress over Angela Bassett and Jamie Lee Curtis. Curtis won their career achievement award, while Brendan Fraser, Michelle Yeoh, and Judd Hirsch won the other acting awards. Hirsch won over Brendan Gleeson and Ke Huy Quan. Top Gun: Maverick won Best Film over EEAAO, Tár, The Woman King, and Elvis. Baz Luhrmann won Best Director for Elvis.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Yeah. Sideways, Fargo and Stand and Deliver each had 6. So did Moonlight if you count the ensemble category, which isn't a competitive one.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Independent Spirit Award Winners

Post by Sabin »

This has to be a record for most wins (7), right?

Best Film: Everything Everywhere All At Once
Best First Feature: Aftersun
John Cassavetes Award: The Cathedral
Best International Film: Joyland
Best Documentary Film: All the Beauty and the Bloodshed
Best Director: Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert, Everything Everywhere All At Once
Best Lead Performance: Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All At Once
Best Supporting Performance: Ke Huy Quan, Everything Everywhere All At Once
Breakthrough Performance: Stephanie Hsu, Everything Everywhere All At Once
Best Screenplay: Everything Everywhere All At Once
Best First Screenplay: Emily the Criminal
Best Cinematography: Tar