R.I.P. Tom Sizemore

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
dws1982
Emeritus

Re: R.I.P. Tom Sizemore

Post by dws1982 »

In the late 90's and (very) early 2000's, it seemed like he might become one of next big actors. He was one of those who was showing up, seemingly, in big movies constantly, and with big directors. But then, after being in Black Hawk Down and Pearl Harbor in 2001, it fell away almost instantly, and he was barely in another movie that anyone has heard of. He was making sometimes as many as ten movies per year but it was almost all direct-to-DVD/VOD. I think it was the cancellation of the series Robbery Homicide Division, specifically his role in it, that killed his career. The show was in a tough time slot, but had the prestige of Michael Mann attached, so CBS probably would've given it more chances than most shows. But because of Sizemore's drug issues, CBS decided not to order more episodes after the original 13 were produced and didn't even air the initial 13. Michael Mann never forgave him, and I think that kind of destroyed his career, at least as any kind of a serious actor. And then in the years after it was more addiction, more scandal. His is a sad story.
danfrank
Assistant

Re: R.I.P. Tom Sizemore

Post by danfrank »

Yes, troubled life but he had great screen presence and loads of talent. Worked a lot, too. It’s always disconcerting when someone exactly your own age dies.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

R.I.P. Tom Sizemore

Post by Sabin »

He was 61. Suffered a ruptured brain aneurysm. His family was planning end of life choices for a week apparently. Very talented actor who seemed to be perennially tortured by various addictions and scandals.

https://www.indiewire.com/2023/03/tom-s ... 67f4510774
"How's the despair?"

Return to “The People”