Notable Firsts and Records

For the films of 2022
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Notable Firsts and Records

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:
anonymous1980 wrote:Feel free to add:

- All Quiet on the Western Front is the first non-English language to get a Best Visual Effects nomination leaving only Best Supporting Actor the only category left without a nominee from a non-English language film.
It also has a shot at winning adapted screenplay, which would be one of the few categories no foreign film has ever won. (Including of course that same supporting actor, plus, I believe, sound mixing and visual effects.)
All Quiet on the Western Front has a shot at becoming the first film since Gigi, 64 years ago, to win all 9 of its nominations, neither of which were in the acting categories. Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, though, would still hold the record in that regard with 11 wins despite having had no acting nominations.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Judd Hirsch's 42-year gap sets a new record between first and second nominations long held by Helen Hayes at 39 years. The record for the gap between first and last nominations is held by Katharine Hepburn at 48 years.
Ahem...I believe you're overlooking Henry Fonda 1940-1981. It's his record that was broken today.
Either Wikipedia got it wrong, or I wasn't looking in the right place, but I had a feeling there was someone else. I was too tired to do a year-by-year search, but yes, Fonda whose second nomination came the year after Hirsch's first is the one whose record he surpassed.

Wikipedia got one thing wrong for sure. Hayes' span was 38 years, not 39.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

This is the first time both supporting categories have featured double nominees since 1971, when The Last Picture Show pulled the trick. It's the first time it's happened involving two different films since 1959, when Anatomy of a Murder scored twice in supporting actor and Imitation of Life did the same in supporting actress. Peyton Place also did the double-double in 1957; On the Waterfront and The High and the Mighty made it happen in 1954 (even more impressive, since Waterfront got 3 nominees); and the first such case was 1939, when Mr. Smith Goes to Washington did it for supporting actor while Gone with the Wind managed supporting actress.

And here's one I saw at another site: Jamie Lee Curtis joins Liza Minnelli and Laura Dern in securing an acting nomination after both her parents had previously been nominated (Dern the only precedent if you're sticking to the acting categories).
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

anonymous1980 wrote:Feel free to add:

- All Quiet on the Western Front is the first non-English language to get a Best Visual Effects nomination leaving only Best Supporting Actor the only category left without a nominee from a non-English language film.
It also has a shot at winning adapted screenplay, which would be one of the few categories no foreign film has ever won. (Including of course that same supporting actor, plus, I believe, sound mixing and visual effects.)
anonymous1980 wrote:- I believe this is also the year with the most number of first-time acting nominees with 16 out of 20 being first-timers.
I don't know if people realize how remarkable this is. Most years this past decade, the number of repeat nominees has hit double digits. Even in a year like 1971, where it was noted that all 10 supporting nominees were first-timers, there were 7 repeaters in the lead categories.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:Judd Hirsch's 42-year gap sets a new record between first and second nominations long held by Helen Hayes at 39 years. The record for the gap between first and last nominations is held by Katharine Hepburn at 48 years.
Ahem...I believe you're overlooking Henry Fonda 1940-1981. It's his record that was broken today.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Is this the first time where the Best Director and Best Original Screenplay nominations all came from the same films?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Judd Hirsch's 42-year gap sets a new record between first and second nominations long held by Helen Hayes at 39 years. The record for the gap between first and last nominations is held by Katharine Hepburn at 48 years.

Glynis Johns, 99, is the oldest living Oscar nominee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_A ... ed_records

Some news groups are reporting Michelle Yeoh as the second Asian to be nominated for Best Actress. She is more appropriately referred to as the first Asian-identifying actress to be so nominated. 1935 Best Actress nominee Merle Oberon, who has posthumously been identified as Eurasian, identified as Caucasian, denying her mother's ethnicity. Her mother, who had Maori ancestry, was 12 years old when she was born. She was raised by her grandmother, who also had Maori ancestry, who was 14 when her mother was born. She was raised by her grandmother who passed her off as her mother's sister. Her mother, who accompanied her to Hollywood, posed as her maid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merle_Oberon
Eenusch
Graduate

Post by Eenusch »

Judd H's gap is 42 years...not the record but definitely in the Top 10.
Aceisgreat
Temp

Post by Aceisgreat »

John Williams is the oldest nominee ever at 90.

Angela Bassett is the first acting nominee in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

And I think the gap between Judd Hirsch's first nomination and his second is the widest ever.
"I can't stand a naked light bulb any more than I can a rude remark or a vulgar action." -- Blanche DuBois
anonymous1980
Laureate

Notable Firsts and Records

Post by anonymous1980 »

Feel free to add:

- Mandy Walker is now the third woman nominated for Best Cinematography (and oddly enough the first woman nominated DP-ing for a male director).

- I believe this is also the year with the most number of first-time acting nominees with 16 out of 20 being first-timers. It's the first year since the 1930's that the Best Actor slate is all-first timers and inverse of last year's Best Actor slate.

- Michelle Yeoh is the first East Asian woman nominated in the Lead Actress category.
Last edited by anonymous1980 on Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “95th Academy Awards”