Golden Globe Awards

For the films of 2022
Jefforey Smith
Graduate

Re: Golden Globe Awards

Post by Jefforey Smith »

Mister Tee wrote: I watched this all through a Nyquil haze (not COVID; just a standard winter cold), so that's pretty much my full reaction.
:) I hear ya. Along these lines, after two garnered triple points early on I knew I didn't stand a chance so I took a shot of NyQuil and went to bed.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Mister Tee wrote
The lead actors were pretty much expected (with Brendan Fraser not only having a less-nominated film, but having made it clear he wasn't attending). The Bassett win was the sole difficult choice in a performance category; I'm not sure if this moves her closer to an Oscar win (it could be good old HFPA star-fucking), but it might move her closer to a nomination.
I think Angela Bassett moved closer to a win for this film. She won the Golden Globe. She just got a SAG nomination. She's a good match for that crowd. And she made the BAFTA Longlist. Shouldn't she be considered some kind of frontrunner at this point?
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

danfrank wrote:I’m not watching but just curious: is everyone showing up for this like they did every year except last year, i.e., is all forgiven and the Globes have seemingly fully recovered?
A little hard to tell, because they didn't show nominees in the crowd as their nominations were being read, nor did they have them all on screen as the envelope was being opened. All winners but Blanchett were there (two TV winners were also absent), but I can't say if that reflected overall attendance, or if longer-shot nominees skipped the festivities in greater numbers than pre-COVID/scandal.

The winners were interesting enough, with the late-distributed two best film prizes being among the most difficult to be sure of. I was delighted by Banshees beating out Everything Everywhere... -- I just think McDonagh's movie is better, and I've been annoyed by the "inevitable" tone many have been adopting about the latter's best picture prospects. The Fabelmans I'm not especially high on, but anything, as long it wasn't Maverick, was acceptable by comparison.

The lead actors were pretty much expected (with Brendan Fraser not only having a less-nominated film, but having made it clear he wasn't attending). The Bassett win was the sole difficult choice in a performance category; I'm not sure if this moves her closer to an Oscar win (it could be good old HFPA star-fucking), but it might move her closer to a nomination.

Quan's speech was absolutely terrific, got the night off to a zippy start. Farrell, Yeoh, McDonagh and Spielberg also gave quite nice speeches.

I thought Carmichael made a pretty dreadful host. I'm not familiar with his work; maybe it comes off better in isolation. But his tone was so low-key, it failed to bring any energy to the proceedings, and a couple of his riskier jokes -- Scientology, Whitney Houston -- seemed to fall flat because of this. I wonder if Rickey Gervais' in-your-face style might have made them work better.

I watched this all through a Nyquil haze (not COVID; just a standard winter cold), so that's pretty much my full reaction.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

danfrank wrote:I’m not watching but just curious: is everyone showing up for this like they did every year except last year, i.e., is all forgiven and the Globes have seemingly fully recovered?
I'm sure most of the ones invited were there. It's the perfect time to publicize themselves which eventually is more important in the long run to the actor than any perceived negativity related to the event. Seeing the stars on the red carpet almost every nominee was there except Brendan Fraser. And Tom Cruise.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

I’m not watching but just curious: is everyone showing up for this like they did every year except last year, i.e., is all forgiven and the Globes have seemingly fully recovered?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Good for The Fabelmans and The Banshees of Inisherin, my two favorite films of the year. No real problems with any of the film winners though they weren't all my choices.

Never heard of the host before but he did a decent job, staying out of the way most of the time. On the other hand, there were too many unfunny presenters going on about nothing and too many long speeches from winners seemingly thanking everyone they know.

Best speeches: Spielberg's first, McDonagh's first, Colin Farrell. I would add Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Quan but I've heard those same speeches from them before and will probably hear them again before awards season is over.

Worst speech: House of the Dragon producer thanking the series' two actresses who showed up but not knowing their names.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Best Picture, Drama:

The Fabelmans
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

For the fourth time in five years, the winner of the Globe for Best Comedy-Musical has won a total of three awards (Green Book, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, West Side Story).
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Best Picture, Comedy or Musical:

The Banshees of Inisherin
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Have they given out any movie awards yet?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Did they need to do two lifetime achievements awards or whatever? This show is running loooong.
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

OscarGuy wrote:Best Director:

Steven Spielberg - The Fabelmans
They don't dare play him off.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Best Director:

Steven Spielberg - The Fabelmans
Wesley Lovell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Best Screenplay:

The Banshees of Inisherin
Wesley Lovell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

OscarGuy wrote:Best Non-English Language Film:

Argentina, 1985
The biggest surprise of the night so far. I thought this was fifth place.

Return to “95th Academy Awards”