List of submissions to the 95th Academy Awards for Best International Film

2018 through 2027
anonymous1980
Laureate

Re: List of submissions to the 95th Academy Awards for Best International Film

Post by anonymous1980 »

I will most likely will not be seeing any more entries until the short list drops (but should I do so, I will continue reviewing it here). So here's my assessment of the 20 I have seen.

In order of preference:

LOVED
01. South Korea
02. Belgium
03. Denmark
04. France
05. Germany
06. The Philippines
REALLY, REALLY LIKED
07. Argentina
08. Jordan
09. Singapore
10. Finland
11. Indonesia
12. Ukraine
LIKED WITH RESERVATIONS
13. Japan
14. Poland
15. Austria
OKAY
16. China
17. Venezuela
18. Thailand
19. Kosovo
UGH:
20. Mexico

In order of chances to make the shortlist:
LOCKS
01. Germany
02. Belgium
03. South Korea
04. Argentina
05. Mexico
06. France
LOOKING GOOD
07. Poland
08. Denmark
09. Austria
10. Ukraine
COULD SNEAK IN
11. Finland
12. Jordan
13. Japan
14. Venezuela
COULD SURPRISE
15. The Philippines
16. Singapore
17. Indonesia
NO
18. China
19. Thailand
20. Kosovo
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Bardo, False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths, Mexico (Alejandro G. Inarittu) 5/10 - This is a semi-autobiographical film about a famous Mexican journalist and documentary filmmaker looking back at his life just days before he's to receive a prestigious American award. I personally try to avoid the words "boring" and "pretentious" whenever I write reviews because I always feel those are reductive and dismissive words often used by people who refuse to engage with the art form. Well, I have to use those words now. This is indeed a boring and pretentious film. Alejandro G. Inarittu has always been hit and miss for me and his attempt at an 8 1/2 and All That Jazz wallows in a lot of the elements of his misses: miserablist with an air of self-importance. While Darius Khondji's cinematography is truly spectacular and the performances of his actors are terrific, it is all in service of their director's worst filmmaking instincts. Watch only if you think all of Inarittu's films are great.

Can it get in? The Academy LOVES Inarittu since all of his other films got at least one Oscar nomination if not wins. But I hope they skip over this one (or if they don't, just Cinematography). They probably won't.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

The Box, Venezuela (Lorenzo Vigas) 6.5/10 - A teenage boy goes to retrieve the remains of his estranged father. Then he sees a man who strongly resembles him. This leads him into an unexpected path involving migrant workers. The premise is intriguing and the first two acts is quite excellent. But as the film unfolds, it goes into a narrative direction which, quite frankly, I'm not a fan of. I'm not going to spoil it here but it somewhat mars the film as a whole. It's still a pretty good, well-made film about a very important, very relevant subject matter. It is kind of disappointing that it kind of drops the ball in the third act.

Can it get in? Very doubtful but not completely out of the question.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Looking for Venera, Kosovo (Norika Sefa) 6/10 - A teenage girl who lives with her patriarchal, multi-generational conservative family befriends a more worldly, sexually liberated young woman and soon starts to rebel against her sheltered, traditional life. The concept is intriguing, it starts out well and there are some nice, natural performances. But unfortunately, this coming-of-age film kind of goes nowhere particularly significant with it. There's very little pay-off. While that method can work sometimes, I don't think it was particularly well-suited here. Nevertheless, it is still overall an interesting, very well-made glimpse into a culture we seldom see on the world stage.

Can it get in? Highly doubtful.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Plan 75, Japan (Chie Hayakawa) 7/10 - In the future, the elderly get the brunt of the blame of being a burden in society so the Japanese government passes a bill called Plan 75 which legalizes assisted suicide for people 75 years old and above. This film looks at what that would be like. I've heard this film called the modern day Ballad of Narayama. I'm not sure if I completely agree with that but it does contain elements of it. This film does give you a lot to chew on and think about particularly on the way society treats its elderly citizens even if it's through the prism of the Japanese. It doesn't particularly want to go for tears (which is why I think it at times comes off as a bit cold) but it does present a matter-of-fact scenario for what would happen if this is a reality. Overall, it's a solid drama.

Can it get in? It's far from a slam-dunk unlike Drive My Car last year but it may still sneak in the Top 15.

Farha, Jordan (Darin J. Sallam) 8/10 - It is 1948 in Palestine. A young girl in a small village is finally allowed by her father to finish her studies in the city. But then something horrific happens before she could do it. Inspired by true events , this film is a pretty harrowing experience. I actually had to read up on what exactly was happening here. It is brutal and heartbreaking. First-time actress Karam Taher gives an excellent performance. She had a tough job since she acts by herself during huge chunks of the film thereby pretty much carrying the film on her back. This is the International Feature Oscar entry from Jordan and it is on Netflix so more people should definitely check this one out.

Can it get in? By merits, yes. But its politics might be problematic for some voters.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Apparently all the films you’ve seen can make the top 15 :D
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Nice View, China (Wen Muye) 7/10 - A young man desperately wants to raise money for life-saving surgery for his little sister. He decides to take a chance with a risky business venture. China's entry to this year's International Feature Oscar race is a formulaic pull-yourself-up-by-your-bootstraps story that will definitely hit you in the feels. It definitely did mine (kind of helped by the fact that the kid actress playing the little sister looks a bit like my niece). It even features some quirky supporting cast who provide some laughs. You can definitely see all the narrative beats coming a mile away. It's definitely not the most original film but it does what it does quite well. I was not a big fan of the ending though. It was a bit overkill. But overall, not bad.

Can it get in? It's not impossible for it to somehow sneak into the Top 15. It does have a cute kid and lovable old people in it which used to be mainstays in this category.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Close, Belgium (Lukas Dhont) 9.5/10 - Two 13-year-old boys have a close, affectionate friendship. When that closeness is questioned in school, this causes one of them to push away and this leads to some tragic consequences. One can say that this film is an elegant takedown of toxic masculinity and homophobia. And it is. But more importantly, it is a beautifully realized, beautifully acted coming-of-age film about growing up and all its sadness and pain. The two child actors playing the central characters are outstanding and will break your heart. Personally, I could imagine a world where Francois Truffaut would've made something like this. It's as great as anything he has done in this subject matter. It's one of the best films of the year, quite frankly.

Can it get in? Yes. It's also a threat for the win.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Holy Spider, Denmark (Ali Abbasi) 9/10 - Based on a true story, this film is about a serial killer in Iran who targeted sex workers in order to get rid of the city of "corrupt women". A female journalist covering the story attempts to flush him out. I'm still not sure, but I have to say, when I got out of theater, I thought, this must be the best serial killer movie since Zodiac. I didn't remember if this was based on a true story when I went in but I was riveted from start to finish. The film is more than just a serial killer procedural. It is also a commentary and critique on the very patriarchal society which produced this monster. Indeed, in a film which already features some disturbing acts of violence, some of the most troublesome stuff actually doesn't involve killing but how people react to it. Plus as dark and disturbing this film is, it manages to sprinkle in moments of dark humor which adds yet another layer to the film. The performances of the two leads are outstanding. Overall, a great piece of work.

Can it get in? The darkness and disturbing subject matter could turn off a segment of the voters but I think this is good enough that it could make the Top 15.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Saint Omer, France (Alice Diop) 9/10 - In France, a Senegalese immigrant woman is put on trial for drowning her own 15-month-old daughter. We hear her story through her testimony and the testimonies of other people. This film mostly takes place in a courtroom with characters just talking in often long extended monologues. But it is riveting. It is best to go in knowing as little as possible so I will not spoil anything further than what I have already mentioned but this film really takes you for an unpredictable ride. The film never does what you may expect it to do and doesn't leave you with any easy answers which makes this film even better. It also leaves you a lot to chew on and think about. It is not quite perfect but it is a remarkable piece of work from a talented filmmaker. Highly recommended.

Can it get in? Yes. I'd be shocked if this doesn't at least make the Top 15.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

EO, Poland (Jerzy Skolimowski) 7.5/10 - A donkey that worked in a circus escapes to find his owner and goes on a road trip that makes him a witness to various human characters and the nature of life and death. This is basically a modern-day riff on Robert Bresson's Au Hasard Balthazar. Even though the concept is identical, the way the story is told is almost the total opposite. The slow, austere style of the earlier film is exchanged for bold colors. There's also a bit more humor and light-hearted moments. There's also a bit more anthropomorphising of the central donkey. I know I should be able to judge the film on its own merits but I can't help but compare between this and the French masterwork. Suffice to say, it pales in comparison. There are some moments of brilliance here but they're scattered around. I found the overall film good but not great. It is still worth watching though.

Can it get in? Very possible. It could easily get in the Top 15 at least.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Ajoomma, Singapore (He Shuming) 8/10 - A middle-aged widow from Singapore decides to take a trip to South Korea in order to tour shooting locations of her favorite K-dramas. A series of complications happen of course. I have to admit I was not expecting much from this film. The premise felt a bit cheesy and formulaic road movie/fish-out-of-water comedy/coming-of-middle-age dramedy we've all seen before. And in a way, it's like that but the film has enough surprises and more than enough charm, warmth sweetness and poignancy to win me over. I found myself laughing, smiling, being moved and really falling in love with the lead character (who could have easily have been MY mom). It doesn't break new grounds artistically or narratively but it's a real charmer.

Can it get in? Doubtful but I wouldn't be TOO surprised if this pops up in the Top 15 if enough of the right voters see it.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Corsage, Austria (Marie Kreutzer) 7/10 - This is a fictionalized biopic of Empress Elizabeth of Austria. The film follows her as she turns 40 and is now considered "old" by society's standards. She seeks to get more out of her privileged but still stifling life. I have to admit, I was kind of disappointed because I was expecting this to be something like The Favourite and while this film does have some elements of that, this is a different beast entirely. It is a period drama that uses its anachronistic elements to highlight that things have changed little in society in their treatment of women in general. I'm not sure if it was entirely successful. But one thing that makes this film a must-see is Vicky Krieps who is simply outstanding here. She's the one that holds the film together. All in all, I'll put this on the "like and admired" but didn't love column.

Can it get in? It has a good chance at making the Top 15. I think Vicky Krieps may have made a play for Best Actress in a less competitive year. It could sneak in for Costume Design too.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

anonymous1980 wrote:
Reza wrote:The submission from Pakistan is Joyland (2022) which I have yet to see as it releases on November 18 here.

It won the Jury Prize and Queer Palm award at the Cannes Film Festival earlier this year.
The Pakistani government just banned it.
But as you mentioned that since its release had already been scheduled (the censors passed it - stupid religious fanatics in the government have banned it) it still has a chance to compete.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Reza wrote:The submission from Pakistan is Joyland (2022) which I have yet to see as it releases on November 18 here.

It won the Jury Prize and Queer Palm award at the Cannes Film Festival earlier this year.
The Pakistani government just banned it.

Return to “The 10th Decade”