Poll - Year the Insanity Ends

In what year will we no longer hear Donald Trump's name on the news every day in the U.S.?

20%
40%
40%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 5

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Re: Poll - Year the Insanity Ends

Post by Sonic Youth »

Sabin wrote:*re: Trump's re-election chances, honestly, I don't know and I don't think anyone who says definitively whether or not Trump should win or not should be listened to either. I thought the Democratic Party was headed towards a historic wipeout this fall. It looks like that won't happen. I was also wrong about how much Roe v. Wade would galvanize voters. I was far too embedded in political hopelessness. But there are countless ways that Trump could get re-elected.
Big Magilla wrote:Trump himself will eventually fade from everyday view but Trumpism will last at least through 2024. When he or one of his clones loses the 2024 election, concern will not go way until after the certification process has been completed. Depending on how badly that goes, the stench could last through the 2026 midterms and maybe even until the 2028 election.

I think 2030 will be the earliest year in which Trumpism will not be a major factor and it won't be a source for discussion on daily newscasts.
"Why Trump's presence in the mid-terms is risky for the GOP."
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wh ... r-the-gop/

Articles like this one can only be a positive sign.

I think we need to remember that Trump was viewed with wariness within the GOP before winning the 2016 election. Even if he had support, he wasn't necessarily seen as the party leader. That all changed once he defeated Clinton. In the natural course of events, after losing 2020 the GOP would toss him aside like every other losing candidate. But Clever Boy Donald declared the election fraudulent, and by doing so he remained the leader of his party, and the other Republicans - lacking, like typical sheep, any critical thinking skills - continued to fall in line. The result being: we're stuck with him for a while. But there's a problem with continuously keeping yourself the center of focus when you lose your power, and that is, when you get beaten up and suffer humiliation, you don't have the protections the office once provided you, and everyone can see all the injuries you're sustaining. And Trump has done nothing these past two years other than suffer humiliations.

So yes, the 2022 elections will be a referendum on Trump, which may not be fair to Biden who had some real accomplishments these past two years (although how often do accomplishments actually motivate voters?), but we should welcome it. Trump's "aura" is infecting the rest of the party. From promulgating the "Big Lie", to the investigations and prosecutions, to keeping the memory of Jan. 6th fresh in everyone's minds (I mean, Trump just announced he'd pardon the fanatics who stormed the Capitol. Wow, that should provide instant relief to as many as 200 voters!)... all of this has been a two year long self-own. 85 million people voted against him in 2020. How many of those do you think Trump has charmed and won over during the past two years? Instead, he's made himself even more hated and repulsive. And, because the GOP decided they would be complicit to everything Trump does, they are powerless to disengage now that the shit's hitting the fan.

Add to that Roe v. Wade, the "trigger" laws and other demonstrations of who the Republicans really are. The Democrats are doing a decent job highlighting the stark differences between the parties, but there's always room for improvement. They have a couple of months left to really drive it home. I'm not 100 percent confident that what we're seeing now isn't a summer "bump", but that may be my pessimism driving my judgments. But if they perform as strongly as they look right now, then Trump is done.

I think he's done anyway. Whenever I see him, I think "Dead Man Walking". No, he's not getting convicted (although he could make a plea deal). He may or may not get indicted. But even if he doesn't, this has drawn blood. He doesn't have the bearing of a martyr (Ollie North could teach him a thing or two), so claims of martyrdom will be of limited use value. And the number of true thick-thru-thin fanatics are diminishing. Remember, Trump's brand was being a "winner". If the midterms leave Democrats more powerful than before, then Trump's reputation for strength and victory goes into the garbage. And articles like the one I posted above means he's on the way out already.

As for president, I'm sure he'll run. It's a lucrative gig, so why not? But he's no longer the same Donald Trump. In 2016, he was an outsider and a "winner". Today, he's neither. I doubt he gets past Iowa and New Hampshire, and he may not even get that far.

And as for when the insanity ends, these things sometimes take a while. I stopped watching news entirely because I couldn't take all the stories about Sarah Palin's goddam family, long after the 2012 election was settled.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

That definitely doesn't sound like him, especially the last line given that Prince Philip refused to meet with him.

Barach Obama was the only president she invited to meet with her after leaving office.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Reza wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:Well, we're gonna get a break today....
Not quite, it seems.

Donald Trump, the 45th president of the US, and former first lady Melania Trump, said: “Melania and I will always cherish our time together with the Queen, and never forget Her Majesty’s generous friendship, great wisdom, and wonderful sense of humor. What a grand and beautiful lady she was—there was nobody like her!

“Our thoughts and prayers will remain with the great people of the United Kingdom as you honor her most meaningful life and exceptional service to the people.

“May God bless the Queen, may she reign forever in our hearts, and may God hold her and Prince Philip in abiding care.”
I blame you for this one, Reza! I wouldn't have seen this at all if you hadn't posted it.

Anyway, he probably didn't write it so I don't think it counts.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sonic Youth wrote:Well, we're gonna get a break today....
Not quite, it seems.

Donald Trump, the 45th president of the US, and former first lady Melania Trump, said: “Melania and I will always cherish our time together with the Queen, and never forget Her Majesty’s generous friendship, great wisdom, and wonderful sense of humor. What a grand and beautiful lady she was—there was nobody like her!

“Our thoughts and prayers will remain with the great people of the United Kingdom as you honor her most meaningful life and exceptional service to the people.

“May God bless the Queen, may she reign forever in our hearts, and may God hold her and Prince Philip in abiding care.”
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Trump himself will eventually fade from everyday view but Trumpism will last at least through 2024. When he or one of his clones loses the 2024 election, concern will not go way until after the certification process has been completed. Depending on how badly that goes, the stench could last through the 2026 midterms and maybe even until the 2028 election.

I think 2030 will be the earliest year in which Trumpism will not be a major factor and it won't be a source for discussion on daily newscasts.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Well, we're gonna get a break today....
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
In what year will we no longer hear Donald Trump's name on the news every day in the U.S.?
I assume you're talking about the ways in which Donald Trump is both a news story but also the ways that he narcissistically injects himself into our everyday lives.

I've been having this conversation with a friend for a while now. It's not normal to think about someone like Donald Trump every hour of the day. I'm not quite at that point anymore but for the majority of the last seven years that's been the case. It's unhealthy. That said, we should be hearing about him all the time right now. We just had a POS President who we *BARELY* got out of office, his fascist followers have overtaken an already fascist party, and he's determined to get back into office at any cost. Is there a day where that's not the most important story? I don't think it's insane to cover that everyday. I want them to.

Anyway, how long will we hear about Trump everyday? I don't know. I'm not ruling anything out. If Trump isn't re-elected, then somewhere in between 2025 and 2030. 2025 feels too soon to me. The lawsuits will end. The MAGAs will retreat back to their swamp. Already, the 2022 midterms amazingly seem to be less a midterm curse for Democrats but more a sixth year midterm for Trumpism. At a certain point if he doesn't get back into power, we have to move on. I would say 2026 would be our first Trumpless year. Then as the country heats up for another election, he starts doing rallies again and endorsing candidates. The GOP civil war continues but a little more politely. Maybe he gets asked if he's going to run again. If he's alive by 2029, we're largely Trump-less. If a Republican takes the White House, then the only question is whether or not Trump plays any role in it. But the benchmark you mention is probably 2025/2026. If Trump doesn't get the nomination, then 2025 is in the cards.

If he is re-elected*, then honestly who fucking knows, and we have to consider the nature of political dynasties. To be honest, if Trump is re-elected, I would just pull the plug on cable and don't watch the news for the rest of your life. There comes a point where mental health should be prioritized over the rise of fascism for certain people. We'll just do more polls. But if I had to guess, I would say either A) his death, or B) there will be mounting lawsuits after he leaves office again, so let's add two years onto the end of his second term... maybe in between 2030 and 2035. The Age of Jackson lasted for 25 years, so... :roll:

My guess is a few more years.

*re: Trump's re-election chances, honestly, I don't know and I don't think anyone who says definitively whether or not Trump should win or not should be listened to either. I thought the Democratic Party was headed towards a historic wipeout this fall. It looks like that won't happen. I was also wrong about how much Roe v. Wade would galvanize voters. I was far too embedded in political hopelessness. But there are countless ways that Trump could get re-elected. If the economy falls off. Let's say AOC says "Fuck it" and decides to challenge Biden or Harris for the nomination. That would be enough to re-entrench negative feelings towards the Democratic Party and turn to any alternative. So, who knows?
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:Have we stopped hearing Hitler's name? Nope.

So Trump's name will always be kept alive throughout history. It's people who bring fame to an individual. I guess you guys have yourselves to blame.
Yes, it will be heard throughout history but hopefully NOT EVERY DAY which is the point I was trying to make.

Today, though, is turning out to be one of those days where we are not hearing his name as much as usual due to the death watch for Queen Elizabeth. They're already saying that Prince Charles will become King Charles III at 73, which assumes that she will die before his 74th birthday in two months and six days.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Have we stopped hearing Hitler's name? Nope.

So Trump's name will always be kept alive throughout history. It's people who bring fame to an individual. I guess you guys have yourselves to blame.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Poll - Year the Insanity Ends

Post by Big Magilla »

It's reached the point where I can't even watch the news beyond the headlines anymore. Every day there are multiple discussions about the egomaniacal fascist. All of them are the same no matter what outrageous thing he or his accomplishes say or do. It's mostly handwringing on all these shows with no one hazarding a guess as to when he will no longer be in the news no matter what happens. It is unlikely to stop whether he goes to jail, loses another election, or dies. Some deranged crackpot or another will bring him up regardless.

Return to “Current Events”