TAR reviews

Greg
Tenured

Re: TAR reviews

Post by Greg »

Mister Tee wrote:How many such cases are there, of an actor being the winner-by-acclamation for two different leading roles? Vivien Leigh immediately comes to mind; are there any others?
Sally Field?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Mister Tee wrote
Looking over Blanchett's Oscar absence post-Carol...I may be misremembering, but didn't she take part of that period to do her theatre company thing? She also did the Mrs. America hulu series, a couple of animated voice-overs, and that pair of supporting gigs last year. The only lead role I can see for which you could call her overlooked was Where'd You Go, Bernadette? -- a movie that barely got a release. (I only recently watched the film, and, while it's got many problems, her performance isn't one of them; I was almost surprised, given critical reception, how thoroughly I enjoyed watching her in it.)
I should give it a view. I'm a fan of Richard Linklater's and I know people who enjoy it.

She also got a SAG nomination last year for her supporting work in Nightmare Alley so she couldn't have been far away from a nod.

Mister Tee wrote
Many of the things I used to know about the Oscars have been shattered in this era -- I frankly admit, I have no idea what makes an archetypal best picture winner anymore. But one thing I think survives all the change is, if a performance is singled out at "best performance in years" level, the way this one is, it wins the Oscar, whatever the circumstances.
This is a good point. Obviously, none of us have seen the film. We don't know what dynamics will come into play this year in the Oscar race. But I don't see any reason why she couldn't win her third Academy Award. Her last award was almost a decade ago. I'm pretty sure most voters have forgotten about her first one (in supporting). But most importantly, she has this "Acting God" image that puts her in the same company of those who have won three. She's roughly the same age as Day-Lewis when he won his third.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

This is clearly jumping ahead, but, based on these reviews, it appears like Todd Field will have, in only three movies, generated three lead actress nominations -- which feels like it must be some sort of rarity?

Looking over Blanchett's Oscar absence post-Carol...I may be misremembering, but didn't she take part of that period to do her theatre company thing? She also did the Mrs. America hulu series, a couple of animated voice-overs, and that pair of supporting gigs last year. The only lead role I can see for which you could call her overlooked was Where'd You Go, Bernadette? -- a movie that barely got a release. (I only recently watched the film, and, while it's got many problems, her performance isn't one of them; I was almost surprised, given critical reception, how thoroughly I enjoyed watching her in it.)

Many of the things I used to know about the Oscars have been shattered in this era -- I frankly admit, I have no idea what makes an archetypal best picture winner anymore. But one thing I think survives all the change is, if a performance is singled out at "best performance in years" level, the way this one is, it wins the Oscar, whatever the circumstances. This would of course be the second time Blanchett was in such a position, as Blue Jasmine was viewed as certain winner pretty much from the moment the movie opened. How many such cases are there, of an actor being the winner-by-acclamation for two different leading roles? Vivien Leigh immediately comes to mind; are there any others?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Nice to see at least one film this year living up to the hype.

This should land a supporting nomination for the criminally neglected Nina Hoss as well as Blanchett, Field and a slew of others.

I wasn't much impressed by the early, sight unseen buzz for Bardo, but thought White Noise sounded like something halfway decent. We can probably write off both as serious contenders now.

I'm waiting for the reviews from Venice for Living (today) and The Whale (on the 4th).

I'm kind of dreading the reviews for The Son (in Venice on the 7th and Toronto on the 13th) after watching that godawful trailer. Hopefully, it's just the trailer that sucks.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Very exciting. Was wondering recently what happened to him. Not a fan of Little Children but it was far, far from a career ender. I’m intrigued.

Wild that Cate Blanchett is at her 8th nomination and she’s only 53. Odd to think she hasn’t been nominated since Carol.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

TAR reviews

Post by Mister Tee »

The pre-festival buzz ratified by the trades. These are what can only be called raves, with Blanchett seemingly a certainty for her 8th nomination.

https://variety.com/2022/film/reviews/t ... 235356652/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235207357/

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/09/tar-r ... 234756851/

Return to “2022”