R.I.P. Mikhail Gorbachev

Heksagon
Adjunct

Re: R.I.P. Mikhail Gorbachev

Post by Heksagon »

A pivotal historical figure, but certainly no "great man". He had the integrity to recognize that the system was failing badly and needed reform, but he had little understanding about what would be an effective way to do that. The reforms he carried out only made things worse and things quickly spiraled out of his control. The fact that the communist state couldn't do any better at preparing their leaders for their jobs is another sign at how rotten their system really was.

I've always found it ironic that Gorbachev had a background so heavily in agricultural management. Not only was their agriculture doing so badly that it's hard to see how anyone for promoted through that, but the communist ideology had always emphasized industry over agriculture.

The present war makes it tempting to wonder if Gorbachev could have done something different to keep Russia and Ukraine as a united country. He certainly wanted to do that, but as usual, his actions didn't work out as he planned. His attempt at stifling Ukraine's national aspirations only backfired and strengthened them.
Greg
Tenured

R.I.P. Mikhail Gorbachev

Post by Greg »

Mikhail Gorbachev, who ended the Cold War, dies aged 91, Russian media reports:

https://www.reuters.com/world/mikhail-g ... 022-08-30/

Return to “Current Events”