2022 Emmy Awards

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
mlrg
Associate

Re: 2022 Emmy Awards

Post by mlrg »

The Crown, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, The Handmaiden’s Tale and Homeland all won best series drama during the last years.

Are you saying that CODA, Nomadland, Parasite, Green Book, Moonlight, Spotlight, 12 Years a Slave, Argo or The Artist are as well known or cultural relevant as any of these series?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza, statistics don't lie. Ten times as many people in the U.S. just watch regular TV more than those who watch a combination of regular TV and streaming. Very few just watch streaming only, though that number may grow over time.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I think you guys are mistaken. Maybe not many people have access to HBO Max, Apple TV+, hulu, Amazon Prime and Showtime but once the shows have aired on these channels they are all immediately available on various (illegal?) sites where everything can be watched for free. Not many can afford these channels but don't think they have any serious qualms in watching these tv shows for free.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Tee is correct. Network and basic cable shows, not streaming shows, are still the most watched programs in the U.S.

I suspect that some of them, Yellowstone in particular, the most popular scripted program of all, would have been nominated for a slew of Emmys instead of being snubbed, if Emmys were voted on by the public instead of the insulated elitists.

Football takes the first four spots on Variety's list of the most watched shows for the 2021-2022 season ending May 31. Paramount Network's Yellowstone follows at no. 5, with NBC's This Is Us finishing at no. 6, NBC's Chicago P.D. at no 7, Fox's 9-1-1 at no. 8, CBS's reality-based Survivor at no. 9, and NBC's Chicago Fire at no. 10.

Here's Variety's list of the top 100:

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/most-p ... 235275680/
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

mlrg wrote:The Emmys reward shows that everyone sees and that dictate popular culture.

The Oscars reward movies that no one has seen.

How things have changed.
I think you might have a skewed view of what "everyone sees".

Do you seriously think everyone has access to HBO Max, Apple TV+, hulu, Amazon Prime and Showtime -- all of which have nominations in the major categories? (I exclude Netflix because huge numbers of people DO seem to have that, at least via someone else's password.) People, mostly urbanites with high disposable income (including all the prominent TV critics), see much of this stuff -- and I guess younger people, who've dropped cable and do everything via streaming -- but this excludes a good portion of the population. I think actually it's rather analogous to the Oscars: a bunch of shows that have passionate niche audiences dominate the lists, to the bewilderment of the mass audience.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

The Emmys reward shows that everyone sees and that dictate popular culture.

The Oscars reward movies that no one has seen.

How things have changed.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Jessica Chastain should have been nominated for a Scenes from a Marriage.

I hope Laura Linney wins for Ozark. A masterful work.

The White Lotus should win best mini series
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Some random thoughts of this year's Emmy nominations:

- Yay! Rhea Seehorn FINALLY got in!
- Sadie Sink was robbed!
- Surprised they didn't give black-ish and This Is Us farewell noms but they stuck with Killing Eve.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Sabin wrote:A little late to go the game on Hacks but I just finished Season One. Can someone explain to me why Hannah Einbinder is considered supporting? She's clearly the co-lead, if not the protagonist. If Hacks were a feature, I could see her delegated (bullshittily) to supporting, but this is television and they're at least slightly more open to nominating co-leads, especially a series with so much industry support.
Agreed. It's as much her show as it is Jean Smart's (having already finished Season 2, she's gonna win again). Hopefully, they'll remedy that this year. Credit to the Globes for nominating Einbinder in the right category this year.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

A little late to go the game on Hacks but I just finished Season One. Can someone explain to me why Hannah Einbinder is considered supporting? She's clearly the co-lead, if not the protagonist. If Hacks were a feature, I could see her delegated (bullshittily) to supporting, but this is television and they're at least slightly more open to nominating co-leads, especially a series with so much industry support.
"How's the despair?"
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

I think seasons 1 and 2 of Succession might be one of the best things ever produced for tv. Season 3 was somewhat underwhelming, except from the last episode.

On the other hand, the final season of Ozark is simply outstanding and Laura Linney should have no competition for the win as best actress drama. I really don’t see anything other than Ozark taking best series.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I know that it’s submitted as a Drama Series but Severance really straddled the line for me between comedy and drama. While it’s not actually going for funny (except when Patricia Arquette in on-screen), it’s clearly most effective as a satire exploring the different morbid facets of its nightmarish world. I think it’s most effective as a poker faced dark comedy.

Side note, structurally it’s first season has a few similarities to The Good Place.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Eric wrote
I have too many rooting interests in this category to let it just sit if Elle Fanning, Rachel Brosnahan or (as some are predicting) Selena Gomez or Sarah Jessica Parker make it in but not Bridgett Everett (Somebody Somewhere), Issa Rae (Insecure), Helene Yorke (The Other Two), Renée Elise Goldsberry (Girls5eva), Alia Shawkat (Search Party), or especially neither Maya Erskine nor Anna Konkle (Pen15).
Co-sign. I'll add that I'm pretty late to the game with Search Party. I only started watching it in the last couple of years. It's insane yet predictable that it hasn't received a nomination nomination. This is as good a sitcom as any I've seen in years and the best quartet I've seen post-Seinfeld (sorry, Schitt's Creek).
"How's the despair?"
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Eric wrote:
anonymous1980 wrote:OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
Rachel Brosnahan, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Prime Video)
Quinta Brunson, Abbott Elementary (ABC)
Elle Fanning, The Great (Hulu)
Sarah Lancashire, Julia (HBO)
Natasha Lyonne, Russian Doll (Netflix)
Jean Smart, Hacks (HBO Max)
I have too many rooting interests in this category to let it just sit if Elle Fanning, Rachel Brosnahan or (as some are predicting) Selena Gomez or Sarah Jessica Parker make it in but not Bridgett Everett (Somebody Somewhere), Issa Rae (Insecure), Helene Yorke (The Other Two), Renée Elise Goldsberry (Girls5eva), Alia Shawkat (Search Party), or especially neither Maya Erskine nor Anna Konkle (Pen15).
I second you on the PEN15 girl-women. This is out-on-a-limb acting that is fully committed, truly comedic, and fantastic in every sense of the word.

Return to “Broadcast Media”