Early impressions

rolotomasi99
Professor

Re: Early impressions

Post by rolotomasi99 »

With just two feature films under his belt, writer/director Robert Eggers has established himself as a uniquely visionary filmmaker. Both his movies were noted for their use of period appropriate language, even if it alienated more mainstream viewers.

Interestingly, NORTHMEN seems to be a linguistic departure for him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMSdFM12hOw

I hope success has not spoiled his gift for telling bizarre but compelling stories. This looks more like an action film than I was hoping for when the project was first announced. Perhaps it is just the studio cutting a trailer to lure in audiences and does not reflect the actual film.

Either way, THE LIGHTHOUSE surprised many with its Oscar nom for gorgeous cinematography so we should at least consider what might be possible for this film.

Make-up seems the most likely category for it to break into, particularly since having five nominees allows movies without heavy prosthetics to show-up (CRUELLA, EMMA, JUDY).

After that, it all depends on how much the movie overall is appreciated. Sound, Score, Set, Costume, Cinematography, and Editing are possible but long shots. I doubt any other of the dramatic categories are within reach, but I look forward to seeing what Eggers does next.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Big Magilla wrote:Jeffrey Wright is the first black Commissioner Gordon.

It will undoubtedly be the year's first major box-office hit. Where it goes from there only time will tell.
Folks want to see a black James Bond and Batman, but they will just have to make do with a black Moneypenny and Commissioner Gordon.

At least that is better than Nolan's very white Batman series, which actually changed the race of characters who were originally people of color (Bane, Ra's al Ghul, Talia al Ghul). He still had supporting characters of color (i.e. Morgan Freeman), but not any of the main foes...for whatever reason.

As for THE BATMAN, I agree it will be a huge box-office hit, and it will of course be in the Oscar discussion. In the previous decade, the annual conversation was about the lack of racial diversity in the Academy membership and the Oscar nominees. Now that the Academy has made serious efforts to improve their diversity, the new debate is whether comic-book movies are worthy of being included among the Best Picture nominees.

I certainly think THE BATMAN will be taken more seriously than the usual Marvel fare, but the previews I have seen do not seem to show the type of movie the Academy can get behind. Then again, some may nominate it just to prevent more down-ballot categories from being removed from the telecast.

What a strange time to be an Oscar fan. :?
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Jeffrey Wright is the first black Commissioner Gordon.

It will undoubtedly be the year's first major box-office hit. Where it goes from there only time will tell.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Will THE BATMAN do what THE DARK KNIGHT was unable to, and be nominated for Best Picture?

I doubt it, but this trailer suggests the filmmakers considered this movie serious cinema rather than just another comic book action film:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqqft2x_Aa4

I think we can all agree the film is at least guaranteed a Make-Up nomination for Colin Farrell's transformation in to the Penguin. Sound also seems like a strong possibility and maybe Visual Effects. Set, Cinematography, Editing, and Score nominations all depend on how seriously this movie is taken. The M.A.G.A. wing of the Academy elevated THE JOKER to an Oscar juggernaut, but I doubt this new Batman film shares that offshoot's deplorable politics. Similarly, this movie is not breaking any real ground in terms of diversity, like BLACK PANTHER. Eartha Kitt and Halle Berry beat Zoe Kravitz to giving us a Catwoman of color, and the Caped Crusader himself is still as lily white as James Bond.

Just being a huge financial success were not enough for any other comic book movie to be nominated in Best Picture, so for THE BATMAN to breakthrough is going to take something more...and I just do not see that quality coming through in this film.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Big Magilla wrote:I don't know. The trailer looks decent and there's been enough distance now from the 1979 TV movie with Kurt Russell and the 2005 mini-series with Jonathan Rhys Meyers that the material could seem fresh. Austin Butler does seem to have the voice down if not necessarily the physicality.

This is only Luhrman's sixth film over a more than thirty-year period but all his films including the infamous Australia seem to be awards magnets so it is possible this one will be too.

Right now, though, the 2022 film I am most looking forward to is Scorsese's Killers of the Flower Moon. The musical I'm most looking forward to is Amy Pascal's untitled Fred Astaire biopic with Tom Holland which is likely to be a 2023 release.
Absolutely concur about KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON. I think it could even top THE AVIATOR as Scorsese's most nominated film.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I don't know. The trailer looks decent and there's been enough distance now from the 1979 TV movie with Kurt Russell and the 2005 mini-series with Jonathan Rhys Meyers that the material could seem fresh. Austin Butler does seem to have the voice down if not necessarily the physicality.

This is only Luhrman's sixth film over a more than thirty-year period but all his films including the infamous Australia seem to be awards magnets so it is possible this one will be too.

Right now, though, the 2022 film I am most looking forward to is Scorsese's Killers of the Flower Moon. The musical I'm most looking forward to is Amy Pascal's untitled Fred Astaire biopic with Tom Holland which is likely to be a 2023 release.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Early impressions

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Just thought I would create a thread for a place to discuss the potential Oscar movies for this year before actual reviews and public screenings.

First big contender with an actual trailer is ELVIS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBDLRvjHVOY

With the exception of AUSTRALIA, I love all of Baz Luhrmann's movies and am looking forward to this one despite not being all that interested in the musician. Just from this brief glimpse, I think we can be pretty certain of Oscar noms for Costume, Set, and Make-up. Sound, Cinematography, and Editing are distinct possibilities, but only if the movie is taken seriously as a Best Picture contender. As we saw with NIGHTMARE ALLEY, in a field of 10 nominees, a movie can make an impression with just a few tech categories. I like that Austin Butler is doing his own singing, but I doubt such a young, unknown is going to be able to break into the Lead Actor race. Tom Hanks, on the other hand, sounds like he has a Razzie nom locked up.

While it is certainly possible this film could be ignored like ROCKET MAN, every Baz film (barring his first) has been nominated for Costumes, Set, or both.

Return to “2022”