R.I.P. Ronnie Spector

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
danfrank
Assistant

Re: R.I.P. Ronnie Spector

Post by danfrank »

Sonic Youth wrote: with a big wall between us.
Nicely done, Sonic. The Ronettes were a bit before my time, though “Be My Baby” remains a radio staple to this day, and I always turn the radio up when it comes on. Spector’s voice is so distinct, and just wonderful. A big salute to her.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Re: R.I.P. Ronnie Spector

Post by Sonic Youth »

A small boast:
For a few years in the 90s, Spector and her family were next-door neighbors to some cousins of mine in the Upper West Side of Manhattan near Riverside. "Reserved... quiet... we never had any issues with them."

I never met her or saw her, but I did visit my cousins frequently during that period. So, not quite a brush with greatness. More like, in the proximity of greatness with a big wall between us.
Last edited by Sonic Youth on Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

R.I.P. Ronnie Spector

Post by Mister Tee »

I'm watching the news and they say, Next, remembering an iconic lead singer. I think, the way that word's overused, it's probably someone unimportant -- oh, wait. This one definitely qualifies.

Between the time Elvis went into the army and the Beatles arrived was a low point in pop music, but if anything redeemed it, it was the girl groups, of whom Ronnie and the Ronettes was the shining example.

And if you're younger and think she's ancient history...well, if you've seen Mean Streets and thrilled to that first moment, you've rocked out to Ronnie's Be My Baby. Scorsese, the first rock 'n' roll filmmaker, knew what she was worth.

https://apnews.com/article/entertainmen ... 2c3ce66920

Return to “Broadcast Media”