R.I.P. Sally Ann Howes

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
danfrank
Assistant

Re: R.I.P. Sally Ann Howes

Post by danfrank »

I’m not that familiar with her career but, yes, whenever I hear her name I immediately picture her on top of that music box in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: R.I.P. Sally Ann Howes

Post by Mister Tee »

Well, like it or not, it's her most famous credit.

She was, in fact, the Eliza my parents saw do My Fair Lady.

A story I remember about her while she was doing What Makes Sammy Run?: at one performance, she appeared to have missed her cue, and Steve Lawrence vamped for a bit -- until informed by the stage manager that she was locked in her dressing room and unable to get out. They had to stop the performance until they could get it unlocked. This was a highly publicized anecdote at the time, and I'm sorry it didn't make it into the obit.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

R.I.P. Sally Ann Howes

Post by Big Magilla »

A child star in the 1940s' British films, B'way's immediate successor to Julie Andrews in My Fair Lady, and one of the aunts in James Joyce's The Dead at the turn of the current century, and all the New York Times or anyone else can lead with is that she starred in Chitty Citty Bang Bang in 1968.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/22/movi ... -dead.html

Return to “The People”