Nightmare Alley reviews

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Nightmare Alley reviews

Post by Sabin »

To be clear: my film critic buddy has not said he dislikes it. He says that the director is mismatched with the material but there are still thinks to enjoy, but he doesn't see it going over big with Academy voters. Mainly tech noms.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

1) To answer Reza's question, I saw the Tyrone Power version sometime in the 90s. It's a really distinctive, creepy noir -- even given the studio limitations of the time, it gets under your skin. It was recently shown on TCM, and I DVR-d it, planning to watch again after I've seen this version.

2) Reactions I saw online last night to the film were mixed/leaning disappointed, but the two primary trade reviews are pretty enthusiastic (though the HR critic is a new name to me):

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235051149/

https://variety.com/2021/film/reviews/n ... 235123044/
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Sabin, I've been seeing the opposite reactions. Two critic friends so far posted glowing reactions on Facebook last night. We'll see whether that's the common response or if they're just the most elated about it.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Has anyone here on this board seen the Tyrone Power version? And if so what did you think about the film and the performances?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Nightmare Alley reviews

Post by Sabin »

Well, not review but a reaction.

Texts from my critic buddy who saw it:

Text #1: It's okay
Text #2: Handsome. His movies always look good. But he's a weird fit for this material, honestly. Del Toro is not a cynical filmmaker, and this material requires cynicism.
Text #3: He's too plainly in love with this sideshow world. At times, it's borderline Burtonesque in that respect.
Text #4: Cooper is miscast. Mara is miscast. Blanchett is autopilot vamping.
Text #5: You can tell Del Toro is the kind of guy who'd watch one of those Fox specials where they show how magic tricks work
Text #6: As you are an Oscar dork, I will tell you that this is not looking to me like one they'll go for
"How's the despair?"

Return to “2021”