1998-2007 Best Actor Winners

Which Best Actor winner 1998-2007 was best or most deserving?

Roberto Benigni - Life Is Beautiful
9%
Kevin Spacey - American Beauty
9%
Denzel Washington - Training Day
No votes
Russell Crowe - Gladiator
No votes
Adrien Brody - The Pianist
9%
Sean Penn - Mystic River
9%
Jamie Foxx - Ray
No votes
Philip Seymour Hoffman - Capote
9%
Forest Whitaker - The Last King of Scotland
No votes
Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood
55%

Total votes: 11

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: 1998-2007 Best Actor Winners

Post by Big Magilla »

In real time, Foxx, Whitaker, and Day-Lewis were the only ones I thought worthy of their wins.

Time hasn't been kind to Foxx's portrayal of Ray Charles which has been largely been seen as mimicking. I still think it was more than that, but I haven't watched it such a long time that I can't be sure anymore.

Whitkaer's screen time in The Last King of Scotland is limited and had there been a stronger performance in 2006, he might not have been the one I rooted for but he is an actor who is consistently good in everything he does.

Day-Lewis I voted for in the previous poll.

I' going to go with Adrien Brody who I recently re-watched in The Pianist, a stunning performance that grows on me with each viewing. My pick for 2002 was Michael Caine who finally gave a performance he should have won for in The Quiet American, but Brody was a close second and would have my choice had Caine not been in the mix.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Don't agree with any of these winners.

1998 - Shouldabeen McKellen. And Warren Beatty (Bulworth) shouldabeen nominated.

1999 - Shouldabeen Farnsworth

2000 - Christian Bale (American Psycho) and Michael Douglas (Wonder Boys) were the best of the year. Both not nominated.

2001 - Shouldabeen Wilkinson

2002 - Michael Caine's best ever performance (The Quiet American)

2003 - Kingsley

2004 - Liam Neeson (Kinsey) should have won. He wasn't even nominated. And neither were Jeff Bridges (The Door in the Floor), Gael Garcia Bernal (Bad Education), Javier Barden (The Sea Inside) or Paul Giamati (Sideways).

2005 - Heath Ledger should have won. And Ralph Fiennes (The Constant Gardener) and Bruno Ganz (Downfall) should have been nominated.

2006 - Peter O'Toole should have won

2007 - Tommy Lee Jones should have won.

If push comes to shove would vote for Spacey.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I just happened to rewatch There Will Be Blood two nights ago for the first time since its release and I feel comfortable voting for Daniel Day-Lewis. It's a pretty glorious marriage between a filmmaker and an actor's talents.

To be honest, I don't know who my runner up would be. Not Kevin Spacey, who never convinces as married to Annette Bening let alone a cool college scoundrel who lost his way up the company ladder. He is fun though. Not Adrien Brody, who never comes across as more than effective in an admittedly more interesting movie. Not Sean Penn, whose win has to be remembered as some form of travesty considering the competition he defeated (Murray, Depp) and the more deserving performance he won for five years later (which I will likely be voting for).

I suppose it would be between Denzel Washington, excellent and surprising in a pretty underrated film to be honest, or poor Philip Seymour Hoffman, same as above despite not quite blowing everyone here away. Thankfully I don't have to choose.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

1998-2007 Best Actor Winners

Post by Big Magilla »

Here you go.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”