1988-1997 Best Actor Winners

Which Best Actor winner 1988-1997 was best or most deserving?

Dustin Hoffman - Rain Man
No votes
Daniel Day-Lewis - My Left Foot
50%
Jeremy Irons - Reversal of Fortune
20%
Anthony Hopkins - The Silence of the Lambs
10%
Al Pacino - Scent of a Woman
No votes
Tom Hanks - Philadelphia
No votes
Tom Hanks - Forrest Gump
No votes
Nicolas Cage - Leaving Las Vegas
20%
Geoffrey Rush - Shine
No votes
Jack Nicholson - As Good as It Gets
No votes

Total votes: 10

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: 1988-1997 Best Actor Winners

Post by Reza »

A very easy vote for me: Jeremy Irons

In second place Day-Lewis. Hopkins is just as good but its clearly a supporting performance.

This decade has two of the worst best actor wins. Hoffman (Rainman) and Hanks (Forrest Gump). Absolutely loathe both films and these two performances.

1988: My favorite performance of the year: Robert De Niro (Midnight Run) followed closely by Jeremy Irons (Dead Ringers). Neither was nominated.

1989: Day-Lewis was the best of the year.

1990: Irons deserved the win.

1991: Hopkins should have won in support. Of the nominees the best was Warren Beatty (Bugsy).

1992: Glad Pacino has an Oscar but he was dreadful in Scent of a Woman especially in comparison to Vittorio Gassman in the original Italian film. Denzel (Malcolm X) should have won.

1993: Hanks was good in Philadelphia but wasn't on my list. Although not nominated Jeff Bridges (American Heart) was my favorite of the year.

1994: Hugh Grant should have won for Four Weddings. Terence Stamp was a close second for Priscilla. Neither actor was nominated.

1995: Cage deserved his win. A close second was John Travolta (Get Shorty) who was not nominated.

1996: Rush was ok but not award worthy. I would have liked to see Dennis Hopper win for Carried Away. Fiennes was intense and swooningly romantic as the The English Patient.

1997: Nicholson was fun in his winning role and he won because the competition was terribly weak.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: 1988-1997 Best Actor Winners

Post by Big Magilla »

Daniel Day-Lewis in My Left Foot, followed by Jeremy Irons in Reversal of Fortune, Tom Hanks in Philadelphia and Jack Nicholson in As Good as It Gets. Hopkins won in the wrong category.

Dustin Hoffman should have lost to Max von Sydow in Pelle the Conqueror, Al Pacino to the non-nominated Jack Lemmon in Glengarry Glen Ross, Hanks in his second win to Paul Newman in Nobody's Fool, Nicolas Cage to Sean Penn in Dead Man Walking, and Geoffrey Rush to Tom Cruise in Jerry Maguire.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

1988-1997 Best Actor Winners

Post by Big Magilla »

Once again, I know who I'm voting for. What about you?

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”