1988-1997 Best Supporting Actor Winners

Which Best Supporting Actor winner 1988-1997 was best or most deserving?

Kevin Kline - A Fish Called Wanda
7%
Denzel Washington - Glory
No votes
Joe Pesci - Good Fellas
27%
Jack Palance - City Slickers
No votes
Gene Hackman - Unforgiven
7%
Tommy Lee Jones - The Fugitive
No votes
Martin Landau - Ed Wood
60%
Kevin Spacey - The Usual Suspects
No votes
Cuba Gooding, Jr. - Jerry Maguire
No votes
Robin Williams - Good Will Hunting
No votes

Total votes: 15

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: 1988-1997 Best Supporting Actor Winners

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:Kevin Kline is a fine actor but I didn't like him at all in A Fish called Wanda. Dean Stockwell in Married to the Mob was my choice in 1988.
On the contrary I thought Kline's over-the-top comic performance was a great surprise after seeing him do only heavy dramas until that time - many of us had never witnessed him on stage in sort of similar roles (On the Twentieth Century).

Voted for a rare comic performance with Joe Pesci and Martin Landau right behind.

Ralph Fiennes should have won in 1993. And yes Edward Norton should have won in 1996 and Burt Reynolds in 1997.

Washington, Palance, Hackman, and Spacey were the best of the lots nominated in their year of win.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I was happier with this group than I was with their female counterparts. I only agreed with three supporting actress winners in the decade, but I agreed with four of the supporting actor winners.

Kevin Kline is a fine actor but I didn't like him at all in A Fish called Wanda. Dean Stockwell in Married to the Mob was my choice in 1988.

Joe Pesci in GoodFellas was the best of the numerous actors playing gangsters in 1990 but Bruce Davison in the AIDS drama, Longtime Companion was better than the lot of them.

Jack Palance won for basically playing himself in City Slickers but Anthony Hopkins gave the year's best supporting role in The Silence of the Lambs for which he won Best Actor.

Tommy Lee Jones gave a strong performance in The Fugitive but he was nowhere nearly as good as either Leonardo DiCaprio in What's Eating Gilbert Grape or Ralph Fiennes in Schindler's List.

Cuba Gooding, Jr. was impressive in Jerry Maguire but Edward Norton was more impressive in Primal Fear.

Robin Williams was strong in Good Will Hunting but my choice in 1997 was Burt Reynolds in his career high performance in Boogie Nights.

As for the four I agreed with, Kevin Spacey in The Usual Suspects was the best of a weak year, while Denzel Washington in Glory, Gene Hackman in Unforgiven, and Martin Landau in Ed Wood were all so good that they could have won in any year. My vote goes to Landau who made a brilliantly surprising Bela Lugosi.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Ralph Fiennes in Schindler’s List was the best performance of the decade, but he’s not on the poll.

Voted for Landau.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

A very good mix of comedy and villainy.

I went with Martin Landau for Ed Wood, but Joe Pesci and Gene Hackman would be just as worthy.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

1988-1997 Best Supporting Actor Winners

Post by Big Magilla »

Again, have at it!

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”