1988-1997 Best Supporting Actress Winners

Which Best Supporting Actress winner 1988-1997 was best or most deserving?

Geena Davis - The Accidental Tourist
7%
Brenda Fricker - My Left Foot
13%
Whoopi Goldberg - Ghost
13%
Mercedes Ruehl - The fisher King
No votes
Marisa Tomei - My Cousin Vinny
No votes
Anna Paquin - The Piano
7%
Dianne Wiest - Bullets over Broadway
40%
Mira Sorvino - Mighty Aphrodite
No votes
Juliette Binoche - The English Patient
20%
Kim Basinger - L.A. Confidential
No votes

Total votes: 15

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: 1988-1997 Best Supporting Actress Winners

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:Lauren Bacall should have won in 1996 - Magilla, surely Debbie Reynolds was a lead in Mother?
She won the Satellite Award for Best Supporting Actress over Bacall.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

To go along with Kline's comic performance I voted for Goldberg's equally hilarious performance.

Sigourney Weaver should have won in 1988 although Sarah Miles (White Mischief) gave the year's best supporting performance and Judy Davis deserved to win in 1992. Also Lauren Bacall should have won in 1996 - Magilla, surely Debbie Reynolds was a lead in Mother?

Ruehl was the best of the nominees in 1991 though Maureen O'Hara (Only the Lonely) should have won if nominated.

Weist was the best of the nominees in 1994 tbough either Kristin Scott Thomas (Four Weddings and a Funeral) or Virna Lisi (Queen Margot/La reine Margot) should have won if nominated.

Basinger was the best of the nominees in 1997 though Sigourney Weaver (The Ice Storm) should have won if nominated.

Fricker, Paquin and Sorvino were the best of the nominees the year they won.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

What can you say about a group of ten winners, in which the only one to have been nominated again is Maria Tomei who was one of the two biggest surprise winners of the decade?

As of the moment, votes have only gone to the three I thought the best - the only ones whose wins I agreed with.

Geena Davis was cute in The Accidental Tourist but Sigourney Weaver was more fun in Working Girl.

Mercedes Ruehl was the best of the nominees in The Fisher King but 1991 should have been Maureen O'Hara's year for Only the Lonely.

Marisa Tomei was very funny in My Cousin Vinny but Judy Davis in Husbands and Wives was a treasure in Husbands and Wives.

Anna Paquin gave a great child performance in The Piano but the non-nominated Darlene cates in What's Eating Gilbert Grape was stronger in an equally unusual role.

Mira Sorvino in Mighty Aphrodite was funny but forgettable. Joan Allen was my choice that year as a totally believable Pat Nixon in
opposite a never convincing to me Anthony Hopkins as her husband in Nixon.

Juliette Binoche, the other surprise winner, was an interesting choice to have taken the prize in The English Patient but my choice was the non-nominated Debbie Reynolds in Mother over Lauren Bacall who almost, but not quite saved The Mirror Has Two Faces from total banality.

Kim Basinger was terrific in L.A. Confidential but it was once again a non-nominee, Kate Nelligan as the no-nonsense mother in Margaret's Museum who gave the year's best performance in her category.

It's a tough call for me between the trio of Brenda Fricker in My Left Foot, Whoopi Goldberg in Ghost, and Dianne Wiest in Bullets over Broadway, but Goldberg and Wiest have done extremely well in their careers in the years since their wins but I have a soft spot for Fricker who never again reached the heights. She gets my vote.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Voted for Wiest.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Lots of comedy. I'm surprised to find I don't really have a strong preference. I should probably see The Accidental Tourist and The Fisher King again. My last viewings were ages ago but I liked both Mercedes Ruehl and Geena Davis quite a bit. But I have seen Bullets over Broadway recently and I can't think of a strong reason not to give it to Helen Sinclair.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

1988-1997 Best Supporting Actress Winners

Post by Big Magilla »

Have at it!

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”