Hollywood Strike

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Hollywood Strike

Post by Big Magilla »

A tentative agreement has been reached averting the strike pending a full vote by the membership.
gunnar
Assistant

Re: Hollywood Strike

Post by gunnar »

I read a little bit about this the other day. Hopefully they can reach an agreement that secures safe working conditions with proper rest periods and better pay for the low level workers. If they do strike, though, it will be interesting to see how long it lasts and how it affects the business. The Writers Guild has been the most likely to strike over the last 40 years or so and I think the last one of their was over a decade ago.
Greg
Tenured

Hollywood Strike

Post by Greg »

It appears that the IATSE (International Alliance Of Theatrical Stage Employees) will call a strike this Monday, bringing movie and TV production to a halt.

One of their big sticking points is long shooting hours. This makes me think about how much of this could be caused by excessive use of what is called coverage. That is, each scene is broken up into shots. For example, if one person talking to another in a restaurant leaves and comes back, it all takes place in one scene; but, the two originally talking, the one leaving, the one returning, and, the resumption of the conversation are all different shots. A good take on a shot is where no one flubs a line, no camera equipment is in view, etc. Productions often are run where there has to be at least three good takes for every shot, a close-up, medium, and long-range shot. Sometimes, because there is a desire also to have good takes from several angles, there end up being dozens of good takes per shot. Then, the decision of which take to use for each shot is made when the film/TV show is being edited. Why do they not just make annotations for all the camera lengths, angles, etc., in the shooting script. Then, the editing would focus on where to move from one shot to the next, how the film/TV show flows, not on which takes to use. This should dramatically reduce the number of shooting hours required.

It is too bad The Original BJ no longer posts here, as he did crew work, I believe. I am not sure of how much of Sabin's work involves day-to-day shooting and what he would have to say about this.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”