The Green Knight reviews

Okri
Tenured

Re: The Green Knight reviews

Post by Okri »

1. For a random aside, the people I read on Twitter were excited for The Green Knight, but I actually hadn't heard of Jungle Cruise before Tee's comment below.

2. David Lowery is a bit hit-or-miss with me. I enjoyed Ain't Them Bodies Saints enough, but it was probably less than the sum of its parts (I still listen to the soundtrack, though). Conversely, A Ghost Story was all but unbearable for me. There was only 12 people in the theatre at the beginning. Half of them left before the end. I wanted to join them.

3. As for the The Green Knight, I definitely fell for it. I'd be surprised if it went anywhere above the title for oscars, but it's a lovely movie.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

FilmFan720 wrote: I have to say that there have been a lot of people I know who have been talking about this movie for 18 months. It has been pretty highly touted and anticipated in a lot of circles and isn't coming out of nowhere!
Well, I'd never claim to be wired into the first-weekend zeitgeist, and I hope you're right, that there's an audience ready to back up these very strong reviews. But I can say I've been very aware that such movies as Cruella, F9, Black Widow, and even Jungle Cruise were coming, despite having zero interest in them, whereas I only really heard about The Green Knight yesterday.

It also strikes me as unusual for a studio to hold reviews till a few days before opening for a movie that's getting such a positive response.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Mister Tee wrote:Well, in this day and age, so much rides on opening weekend, and opening weekends depend on long-established pre-hype. The fact that we're only hearing about this three days before its wide release suggests the studio has no confidence in it, and that becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. The days when a movie could open slowly and gain an audience through word of mouth are gone like my dark hair and boyish figure.

Also, there's nothing in Lowery's filmography that suggests a huge ability to connect with audiences -- A Ghost Story was also highly praised by critics, but went nowhere.
I have to say that there have been a lot of people I know who have been talking about this movie for 18 months. It has been pretty highly touted and anticipated in a lot of circles and isn't coming out of nowhere!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

A Ghost Story was extravagantly overpraised as was The Old Man and the Gun but Lowery's remake of Pete's Dragon was far superior to Disney's crappy original version and the earlier Casey Affleck-Rooney Mara film, Ain't Them Bodies Saints was the gem that A Ghost Story wasn't.

The Green Knight has a good cast but I'm not sure who the audience is for this latest take on the Arthurian legend.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Well, in this day and age, so much rides on opening weekend, and opening weekends depend on long-established pre-hype. The fact that we're only hearing about this three days before its wide release suggests the studio has no confidence in it, and that becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. The days when a movie could open slowly and gain an audience through word of mouth are gone like my dark hair and boyish figure.

Also, there's nothing in Lowery's filmography that suggests a huge ability to connect with audiences -- A Ghost Story was also highly praised by critics, but went nowhere.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I'm not sure if it's coming from people who've seen it, or it's just speculation, but Twitter seems to think this is going to be a movie that critics really like but audiences don't care for. It's one of the first movies I've been interested to see in awhile.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

The Green Knight reviews

Post by Mister Tee »

I can't say I had this remotely on my radar, but it's hovering around 90 on Metacritic and seems like it might be something special.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 234987039/

https://variety.com/2021/film/reviews/t ... 235026883/

Return to “2021”