Re: The Biden-Harris Era

Post by Sabin »

So… it’s going to be Eric Adams?
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

There won't be a run-off. NYC is employing ranked-choice voting for the first time. It works something like the way the Oscars select the Best Picture winner now.

From Ballotpedia:

How ranked-choice voting works:

Broadly speaking, the ranked-choice voting process unfolds as follows for single-winner elections:

Voters rank the candidates for a given office by preference on their ballots.

If a candidate wins an outright majority of first-preference votes (i.e., 50 percent plus one), he or she will be declared the winner.
If, on the other hand, no candidates win an outright majority of first-preference votes, the candidate with the fewest first-preference votes is eliminated.

All first-preference votes for the failed candidate are eliminated, lifting the second-preference choices indicated on those ballots.

A new tally is conducted to determine whether any candidate has won an outright majority of the adjusted voters.

The process is repeated until a candidate wins a majority of votes cast.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

danfrank wrote
I think Yang is out. Adams is the likely winner. I hope Wiley wins and she has a chance if the progressives vote in large numbers. Garcia has a slight chance as well.
I hear Yang is running a lousy campaign, which isn't a surprise. He's kind of wacky.

Will Adams avoid the runoff?
"How's the despair?"
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

I think Yang is out. Adams is the likely winner. I hope Wiley wins and she has a chance if the progressives vote in large numbers. Garcia has a slight chance as well.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

So, it’s unlikely we're going to know the winner of the New York mayoral race due to the number of Democrats in the race. Do we think it's going to come down to Eric Adams and Maya Wiley? Or does Andrew Yang have a chance?
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

OscarGuy wrote
Sabin wrote
True, nothing can stick to Joe Biden. But that talent is clearly not transferable to Kamala Harris at least at this stage.

Again: it's not a big deal. I bring it up because I am rooting for her in the future.
Yeah. Biden is a straight white guy...Clinton barely had anything stick to him either. Even the Lewinsky affair rallied the troops around him. The only reason Hillary, and Barack, and Kamala are being treated differently is because they are minorities. It's sad, but true.
Yup. Not remotely fair.

I'm really rooting for Kamala Harris. She has years to grow into her role.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Yeah. Biden is a straight white guy...Clinton barely had anything stick to him either. Even the Lewinsky affair rallied the troops around him. The only reason Hillary, and Barack, and Kamala are being treated differently is because they are minorities. It's sad, but true.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

OscarGuy wrote
If she weren't a politician, her words wouldn't have been misconstrued. When I left on Friday before Memorial Day, I wished people a happy 3-day weekend and they me. For most of us, it's a time off of work to enjoy time with family and friends. Perhaps it was the tiniest bit tone deaf, but it's not different than what any other American likely said.
I get it. But she's not any other American. She's the Vice President.

It's not a big deal. I bring it up because I just want her to avoid such things in the future.
OscarGuy wrote
It's much ado about nothing and it seems like since no one can stick anything to Biden, CNN is trying to make a mountain out of this mole-hill as a way of showing their aliberal bona fides. Thankfully, she did mark the traditional memorial day observance, but that's not what anyone is talking about.
True, nothing can stick to Joe Biden. But that talent is clearly not transferable to Kamala Harris at least at this stage.

Again: it's not a big deal. I bring it up because I am rooting for her in the future.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

If she weren't a politician, her words wouldn't have been misconstrued. When I left on Friday before Memorial Day, I wished people a happy 3-day weekend and they me. For most of us, it's a time off of work to enjoy time with family and friends. Perhaps it was the tiniest bit tone deaf, but it's not different than what any other American likely said.

It's much ado about nothing and it seems like since no one can stick anything to Biden, CNN is trying to make a mountain out of this mole-hill as a way of showing their aliberal bona fides. Thankfully, she did mark the traditional memorial day observance, but that's not what anyone is talking about.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
This is more Republican bullshit.

Yes, Harris made a gaffe, as do many, in wishing people a nice or in her case, happy, weekend for the Memorial Day weekend, but it should be what they do, not what they say, that people are judged for if they're going to be judged.
I actually wondered if I should even post this…

First of all: not saying I agree. Second of all: we don’t live in that world. People are judged for what they say. It’s a social media world. Whether or not it should matter is irrelevant. Also, I’m not saying it’s a big deal. I’m just hoping she gets better. If not, it’s going to hurt her as a candidate… in 4 or 8 years.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

This is more Republican bullshit.

Yes, Harris made a gaffe, as do many, in wishing people a nice or in her case, happy, weekend for the Memorial Day weekend, but it should be what they do, not what they say, that people are judged for if they're going to be judged.

What were the majority of U.S. citizens doing while Harris, like Biden, was out laying wreaths on servicemen's graves? Thinking about how the weather was going to affect their barbeques, no doubt.

Memorial Day is not for "remembering the fallen soldiers of World War II". It is for remembering the fallen soldiers of all U.S. wars. It had as its origin in regional remembrances after the Civil War and was nationalized as Decoration Day after World War I, called that because the thing to do was to decorate the graves of the fallen, a common practice when burial plots were closer to where people lived.

Over the years, Memorial Day developed its second meaning as "the unofficial start of summer", a meaning that took precedence after Congress changed it from the fixed date of May 30 to the last Monday in May.

One of the saddest days of my life was when I accompanied my sister-in-law and other family members to Arlington National Cemetery on Memorial Day in 2013 to commemorate the ten year anniversary of my brother John's death from the effects of Agent Orange he suffered during his Vietnam War days. What was really sad was observing all the young mothers bringing kids too young to remember their fathers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan to visit his grave, many for the first time.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I find it hilarious that people in the United States are up in arms over Kamala Harris' tweet wishing people a happy weekend during what was a sad occasion remembering the fallen soldiers during WWII.

Yet there is nary a voice raised when she spouts support for Israel and their relentless genocide against Palestine.

How ironic and disgusting!!
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Kamala Harris hasn't had the best month.

I don't want to blow anything out of proportion. I can think of a few reasons why Kamala Harris went to Guatemala and why she made those comments. I don't like any of them. Additionally, yes, her tweet wishing everyone "a happy long weekend" has been blown a bit out of proportion, but it was a remarkable lapse of character for a Vice President. My mother, who is a Ride or Die Democrat, has voted blue in every election, and who loves Kamala (and her husband Doug), was disgusted. She's the daughter of a deceased WW2 vet, and she couldn't believe Kamala Harris tweeted that.

I kinda can't either. Who vetted that? Who's around her?

Again: don't want to blow this out of proportion. Kamala Harris has years to grow into the office. I want her to. At some point, the electability of Kamala Harris is going to be all that stands between us an authoritarianism.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Joe Manchin: Why I'm voting against the For the People Act

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/opinion/o ... f870f.html

Manchin supports the John Lewis Voting Rights Act instead. So, we will get that. He also states that he will not "vote to weaken or eliminate the filibuster." But he won't say if he will or will not amend it.

Meanwhile, Joe Biden called out Manchin and Sinema (not by name) during a speech this week as "two members of the Senate who vote more with my Republican friends." And in a roundabout way, said he would see if he could get their vote.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 506838002/

And the dance continues.
"How's the despair?"
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Yes, Lynne Cheney is the mom, and Mary is the queer sister that Liz threw under the bus--by coming out against gay marriage--to advance her own political career. It's a sad state of affairs when the likes of Liz Cheney passes for reasonable. Being thrown under the bus by her GOP colleagues was a rather satisfying comeuppance for Ms. Liz.

Return to “Current Events”