Campaign 2020

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Campaign 2020

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin wrote:Anyway you look at it, Trump's failed renomination bid will not be seen as the disaster it should be in the history books. It has to rank the near the top.
I think you mean reelection, not renomination, bid, but the real disaster is what he did to the country and is still doing. If there is anything good about him to be said in the history books, it will be just a footnote.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Now that Trump is a loser, where does his defeat place historically? He is looking at roughly a 3-4% popular vote defeat and a 232 to 306 electoral college defeat in a two person race.

Grover Cleveland won the popular vote by 1% but lost the electoral college in 1888. Obviously, Trump isn't quite on that level although the electoral college split isn't far off. I'm not sure if Grover Cleveland was denied renomination in 1896. Even if he was, his prior three popular vote victories and two electoral college victories make it hard to look at him as one of the great repudiated political losers ever, although 1896 was certainly a referendum on his administration.

Carter, Taft, Hoover, and Van Buren lost reelection in landslide numbers. Whether or not one considers John Q. Adam's 83 to 178 loss a landslide is probably subjective. Trump did better than them.

There are a few who lost considerably standing due to third party challengers, like George H.W. Bush and Benjamin Harrison, both of whom ended up with disappointing but not embarrassing totals but certainly lost standing because their third party opponents Ross Perot (19%) and James Weaver (8.5%) hurt their performances. In both cases, Allan Lichtman points to the Third Party Key as the one that tipped the election over. Jo Jorgenson only got 1-1.3% of the vote (~1 million), which doesn't make her a significant contender. Either way, Trump's 232 is stronger than both. Maybe not Benjamin Harrison's comparatively.

Who does that leave besides the Presidents who were denied renomination or bowed out? Well, John Adams lost 65 to Jefferson's 73 with 70 being the threshold for victory in 1800. That's close. But the popular vote was much wider. Jefferson beat him 61.4% to 38.6%. Or rather his party did. Trump's total is much closer. The jerk added millions of votes to his total. And by the end of the day how many states will have been decided by 1-2%? To say nothing about how the GOP picked up seats in the House of Representatives and maintained their majority in the Senate.

Anyway you look at it, Trump's failed reelection bid will not be seen as the disaster it should be in the history books. It has to rank the near the top.
Last edited by Sabin on Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

There's a lot of things that are confusing me about Reza's post but I'll focus on just two things:

1) You realize that basically the entire post is about judging Trump on his actions and not his words but you start off judging Joe Biden by his words, right? To the point where you say he sounds "creepy like a pedophile."

2) Trump gets a lot of unearned praise for being a peaceful President. I don't understand this. On March 6, 2019 he signed an executive order revoking the requirement that U.S. intelligence officials publicly report the number of civilians killed in Counter-Terrorism missions in Areas Outside of Active Hostilities. So, we don't know what's going on overseas with regards to our drone-striking. I think if he actually governed like a peacemaker, he might've gotten reelected. But he didn't.
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I get the feeling this was not written by a Shiite.

Reza wrote:What's with Biden preaching the words of the Prophet Mohammad? He sounds creepy like a paedophile. A bid to get the Muslim vote? He sounds just as fake as our oily politicians here using religion to get votes.

Trump may have had many faults but from the Muslim perspective here is someone's analyses:

*A Trump Defeat: ‘Will be a sad day for the Muslim world’*

*By ‘مختار ماستر’*
*5/11/20*

*Read | Reflect | Share*
ETA: I have never heard of any war with Kenya or Uganda. Could someone elaborate?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

dws1982 wrote:Okay guys, I cannot stop laughing at the Four Seasons thing, especially since the brilliant legal strategy that they are certain is going to overturn the election results in multiple states was unveiled at a landscaping company that's next door to a sex shop and across the street from a crematorium. It could be straight out of an episode of Veep.
Yeah, it's amazing.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:
Reza wrote:What's with Biden preaching the words of the Prophet Mohammad? He sounds creepy like a paedophile. A bid to get the Muslim vote? He sounds just as fake as our oily politicians here using religion to get votes.
I missed that. Perhaps you can tell us where in his speech, he did that. Here's the transcript:

https://www.nytimes.com/article/biden-s ... cript.html

Biden is very religious in the true sense. He is a healer, not a divider. He doesn't need anyone's vote at this point. The election is over.
It was probably during the campaign trail. Many videos popped up on Facebook of him talking to women and kids in hijabs.
Those things were perpetrated by Russian bots and other Trump minions.

Biden is famous for quoting poems and prayers from many different sources. Taken out of context they can be made to infer things not intended. For example, Biden is famous for comforting people, be they men, women or children. He is especially good with grieving children. Taken out of context, these incidents can be altered to make it look like he is fondling, rather than comforting the individuals, but he is no more a pedophile than he is a womanizer.

He is the furthest thing from an "oily" politician. Even those who disagree with him politically have the highest respect for him personally.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:
I missed that. Perhaps you can tell us where in his speech, he did that. Here's the transcript:

Biden is very religious in the true sense. He is a healer, not a divider. He doesn't need anyone's vote at this point. The election is over.
It was probably during the campaign trail. Many videos popped up on Facebook of him talking to women and kids in hijabs.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

What he does need is everyone's cooperation and support as he goes to war with the pandemic and the effects of four years of climate change denial and other atrocities perpetrated by his evil predecessor who still has until January 20, 2021 to inflict more harm.

He reportedly spent yesterday preparing his first day executive orders which include ending Trump's Muslim ban:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... uxbndlbing
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The Four Seasons thing is hilarious.
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

What's with Biden preaching the words of the Prophet Mohammad? He sounds creepy like a paedophile. A bid to get the Muslim vote? He sounds just as fake as our oily politicians here using religion to get votes.

Trump may have had many faults but from the Muslim perspective here is someone's analyses:

*A Trump Defeat: ‘Will be a sad day for the Muslim world’*

*By ‘مختار ماستر’*
*5/11/20*

*Read | Reflect | Share*

I assure you that many from the Muslim community will not be shedding many tears at the prospect of a defeat for Donald Trump as the President of the United States. In fact, many will be quite ecstatic that Biden has defeated Trump. However, let me tell you - it will be a sad day for the Muslim community worldwide because we quite honestly do not know the truth.

There is a saying that goes - *‘Judge the character of a man by his actions and not by his words.’*

Trump certainly talked the talk, but did he honestly walk the walk?

*The Analysis:*

George Bush took the US to war in Afghanistan (2001), Iraq (2003), NW Pakistan (2004), Somalia (2007) and Kenya (2007).

The man of ‘change’, Barack Obama, changed nothing and took the US to war in the Indian Ocean against Somali Pirates (2009), Libya (2011), Uganda (2011), Iraq and Syria (2014), Yemen (2015) and Libya again in 2015 to fight ISIS.

*Since Trump took over at the Oval Office in 2017, he has never once taken the US to war.*

*I repeat - he never once took the US to war.*

In fact, let’s be honest, especially if we want to talk facts - most US wars since 2001 have been fought in Muslim lands at the expense of millions of Muslim lives. This only substantially changed when Trump took office. In fact, the truth is even better - Trump withdrew forces from Syria, and Iraq, and moreover he negotiated a peace treaty with the Taliban after years of war in Afghanistan.

Trump has been better in his dealings with the Uighur Muslim issue with China, than even most so-called Muslim leaders. Not content with condemning China’s Uighur concentration camps, he even imposed sanctions on Chinese companies and officials for their human rights abuses against Uighur Muslims.

Trump also termed Burma’s genocide and expulsion of the Rohingya Muslims as ‘ethnic cleansing’ and imposed sanctions on some of the alleged perpetrators.

In 2016, the US under Obama, supported a coup and attempted murder of the world’s best Muslim leader, President Erdogan of Turkey. It was only through the sheer mercy of the Almighty that Erdogan survived.

However, Trump has gone on to praise Erdogan on numerous occasions and has resisted calls to impose sanctions on Turkey. Whereas videos have emerged which show Biden’s willingness to support the ‘opposition leadership’ in the removal of Erdogan, when he become the next president.

Even the issue of ‘Islamist’ Terrorism has improved under Trump. During Barack Obama’s presidency, no fewer than 11 ‘so called’ terror attacks took place. All were full-on, mainstream media hyped, ‘Islamist’ inspired terror. However, these types of terror attacks virtually disappeared during Trump’s presidency.

*The counter argument*

Trump was certainly no angel and he had his faults. The fundamental chink in his armour has always been his unwavering support for Israel. However, the reality is as clear as night and day, which is that, no US President would be an unbiased arbiter in dealing with the Israeli Palestinian conflict. Hence, in reality, this can be discounted in the overall balance of arguments.

The ‘Muslim ban’, the ‘Wall’, the tweets and various other nonsense were no more than bravado from an eccentric, full on, showman that Trump clearly is.

*The Reason*

Trump is the maverick, loose cannon which the mainstream media, the American Establishment and the banking cartels never wanted. They wanted their usual puppets like Clinton, Obama, Bush and now Biden, to further their own interests.

Trump did what he wanted, when he wanted and how he wanted. He was never going to dance to their bloodthirsty, Islam-bashing and world dominating tune. Hence, they vilified him in the mainstream media, changed election rules just prior to the election and put their full weight behind Biden to remove him at any cost.

*The Analysis*

As Muslims, there is nothing more sacred than the life of a Muslim. Hence, if the only measure of a US President was the loss of Muslim lives and the blood spilt during their presidency, then Trump wins hands down without even a recount.

The numbers of Muslim lives that have been lost during the Bush, Clinton and Obama presidency goes into the millions. The US have rampaged through Muslim lands during those few short years. However, that came to a very abrupt end when Trump became President.

I can honestly say, that I would be truly devastated if Trump loses - as it now seems inevitable. Only Trump could have done what he has done and it will be a sad day for the Muslims of the world.

*The Conclusion*

Let’s judge Trump by his actions and not by his words or even his tweets. Because if you do, then there is honestly only one conclusion which you can come to. That is:

*President Trump was good for Muslims the world over*
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Okay guys, I cannot stop laughing at the Four Seasons thing, especially since the brilliant legal strategy that they are certain is going to overturn the election results in multiple states was unveiled at a landscaping company that's next door to a sex shop and across the street from a crematorium. It could be straight out of an episode of Veep.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I keep listening to Biden reading "The Cure at Troy" by Seamus Heaney.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Congratulations, guys
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:Rachel Bitecofer says of course there'd be scenes reminiscent of V-J Day -- that was the last time America defeated a fascist.
To see such boundless joy and hope for the future in the midst of a pandemic is exhilarating.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I find it intetesting that the city in the state that put Biden over the top is the setting for the movie Trading Places.

Return to “Current Events”