100 Great Supporting Actor Performances

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

TOO American
?

Ok, I agree that foreign films offer some wonderful performances. Yet who can really argue that America, and Hollywood in particular, isn't the center of the Cinematic world? No other country produces so many high-profile, worldwide releases. I'm not saying that Hollywood of recent years always produces Good Films, but they do produce the most and the biggest. In terms of classic films, Hollywood made more than enough to warrant seeing entire 100 Best Lists, Great List or whatever filled with them.

I own a number of foreign films and plan to own more. Most of them are Akira Kurosawa films. He is probably my favorite director. But until i see a genuine list of 100 Best foreign supporting performances, i'd have to say it is more difficult to come up with than a list of classic American performances.

When we think of classic films, we think of people like Humprey Bogart, James Stewart, Spencer Tracy, Katharine Hepburn and Deborah Kerr. I'd say Toshiro Mifune was one of the great stars of classic Cinema, but how many like that do we find in the world outside of America? And most of the foreign greats come to Hollywood anyway.

Gerard Depardieu, Ingrid Bergman, Roberto Benigni, Chow Yun Fat, Antonio Banderas and a multitude of others have made films here and in many cases have made entire careers here.

I know, it's easier to believe that you live in a perfect country. But it's not perfect. And things will only change when Americans start admitting it, start seeing what's wrong with it (on a deep level, of course), start looking with interest at other ways of life, and other, challenging cultural expressions.

I doubt that any American truly thinks we live in a "perfect" country. But what country is perfect? We believe that our system of government and business is the best because we are a free society, with the right to free speech, expression and belief. This does not mean that there won't be culural differences within our borders or political disputes, but that is exactly why we believe we are so great. These disputes are, more often than not, peacefully resolved. And our flaws through the last two and half centuries have been many, but we have seen time help to fix them (slowly in some cases).

No other form of government has been truly successful. Look at the dozens of changes made in European countries that have always led to disaster. Look at the many other countries who have oppressive governments that do not allow for any dissent. People talk about President Bush and civil liberties, but I laugh at them. They are being foolish, because the President is not circumventing any freedoms to the citizens of this country at all. You may site his NSA program, but it is meant to target al-Quaida primarily. There is a dispute about what to do once al-Quiada does actually contact an American, but that will be resolved in due time and Russ Feingold will find out just why his censure measure is so silly.

One of reasons our government works is term limits, which allow for the people to elect new officials every two, four, or six years. Unlike in dictatorships or other totalitarian systems, our leaders are bound by the vote of the people and are not falsely claimed as wild majorities and citizens are not held by force to vote a certain way.

Some systems of government just fail because they allow too much government involvement. Canada has a universal health care system that is a disaster, because the people there have to wait for emergency-level procedures for very long periods of time. This benefits no one. It is a failed system. Our system works, despite flaws, because there is competition and real choice.

Whenever our government reaches too far or not far enough, there is always change. The people make the change. It may not seem that way always, but that's how it works.

My point is this: It isn't fair or true to say that America isn't the most free and strong country, because it is. It isn't fair or true to say that we don't give the most aid in most cases, because we do. Just because you disagree with our President or with some of our policies or you just don't like us being so prominent, doesn't mean we should cater to your view. I should not begin to say that I have a terrible country. It wouldn't be true. I should not say we are too arrogant just because some foreign countries don't like us. It wouldn't be true. Disagreements come and go between us and other countries. Necessity will bring us together one way or another. It always does.

So instead of telling us how horrible we are for loving our country, or saying how flawed we are when no country in Europe or else where can claim to have what we have, try to find a better way to communicate with us. I'm not gonna start blasting my country just because we have a few flaws. We still have a system that works.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Anytime, Magilla ;)

Speaking of Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams, I always thought Sylvia Sydney deserved another late career nomination (alongside Michael Keaton) for her performance in Beetlejuice. What a great comic turn.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:visit to Florence

What a lovely city. I could live there forever.

Oh by the way Magilla, I love your choices on the lists and we are all going waaaay off topic here. To each his own! Call me a commie but I love Joanne in Summer Wishes, prefer Glenda in Touch and thought Cries and Whispers (including that great cast of Nordic actors) was an overrated bore!
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Flipp, if ever I go on trial for anything I want you as my lawyer. You always speak so eloquently about things I sometimes have trouble articulating myself.

Funny, I always thought the British were more exonophobic than Americans. Must come from reading too much Agatha Christie when I was young.

One could argue that many of the stars on my lists are foregin born - at least 22 of the performances by lead actors, 27 of those by lead actresses, 27 of those by supporting actors and 29 of those by supporting actresses for a total of 105 or 26% of the total are by performers born outside of the U.S. Many of the performances were directed by men and women born outside of the U.S. Of course most of them are in English by performers for whom English is their first language.

Culturally speaking, 117 of the performances or 29% of them take place in part or in full outside of the U.S. Many of those that take place in the country are either obviously critical of it like The Manchurian Candidate, or subversely so, like Shadow of a Doubt. But it is of no consequence. I am from America so I must be at heart like one of those gauche tourists who remember their visit to Florence not for the beauty of it but only for the sneezes all those blooming flowers caused.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

My God. Don't remind me of that terrible scene in "Summer Wishes"... The airplane scene, I mean. And the gay-son-with-dancer-boyfriend scene. Such a bad movie needed a less committed - maybe even a less intense - actress to be at least unintentionally funny. It's a dreadful performance - honest, yes, but honesty isn't enough sometimes.

I knew that I would have been misunderstood. Still, I think I have explained often - even in this thread - that I'm not accusing people like Big Magilla and other members of this board to be directly responsible for George W. Bush and all the terrible things that the US are doing to the world (and trust me - they are doing some really terrible things). I'm just trying to point out how a certain intellectual attitude - including, yes, a list of great performances which turn out to be 99% from American movies - is a clear indication of what is wrong with America - the stubborn ignorance, and even fear, of anything which is culturally "foreign", for example. Unconscious, I know, but still dangerous. And flipp, refusing to see this simple thing, refusing even the slightest self-criticism, is a further proof of this problem, and that this problem will never be really solved. I can admire the Americans' lack of self-doubts, in some ways, but it's not good, not at all.

I know, it's easier to believe that you live in a perfect country. But it's not perfect. And things will only change when Americans start admitting it, start seeing what's wrong with it (on a deep level, of course), start looking with interest at other ways of life, and other, challenging cultural expressions.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I have to agree with Big Magilla in that the two of you are making some huge leaps in logic. Every list of this kind is inherently subjective and comes from the lister's own cinematic context. I won't presume to speak for him, but in Magilla's case that context seems to be the Baby Boomer generation of American men, a social group that has seen the oftentimes abrupt, overhaul of the landscape of cinema as it was happening, an invaluable point-of-view. If anyone could develop a comprehensive list of performances based on the widest swath of talent and generations on film, it's him.

While there might be a lot of "safe" choices on this list of male supporting performances (and quite a lot of the actual winners of their respective years, demonstrating that, more often than not, he seems to agree that the Academy "got it right" in this category), in no way is it an exclusive "American only" caché of performances.

Your rants about people being anti-American and "too American in our thought process", etc. are a bit tired. And, ITALIANO, while I was glad that we both had a great affection for Catherine Keener's performance in Capote this past year, your repeated references to our seemingly collective adoration and support of George W. Bush are just not based on anything but your own mistaken assumptions. Most of us, as I'm sure you're well aware, cannot stand him. Why do you always have to sneak him into your posts? The Americans on this board have shown time and time again that we don't support him or his actions. Even those few who did vote for him have back-pedalled (everyone, that is, except for the equally delusional criddic3).

On-topic: Joanne Woodward's performance in Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams is fantastic and certainly on my own top list of lead female performances. That scene where she gorges herself on the jam from her childhood is great. I loved her inclusion on Magilla's list.

Also, you've gotta love that opening scene when Rita imagines the plane that she's on is crashing and people are trying to climb out of the windows or the irony of her mother up and dying during a matinee of Bergman's Wild Strawberries.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

LOL. You guys take these things too seriously. How one gets from Faye Dunaway in Mommie Dearest to George Bush invading Iraq, I don't know. It's like saying Marlene Dietirch's legs in The Blue Angel caused the rise of Hitler.

Of course Felicity Huffman in Transamerica is not as good as Jeanne Moreau or Liv Ullmann or Giulietta Masina at their best, but what I tried to do was spread my list out as evenly as possible over time, give as much weight to the present as to the past even though, as we all know, no one in films today can compare to the actors and actresses of the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s. They're not hungry enough. Even the great ones of the 70s that are still acting today - Nicholson, Pacino, Hoffman, De Niro, are but shadows of what they once were.

Of course Joseph N. Welch in Anatomy of a Murder was not as good as Victor Sjostrom in Wild Strawberries in 1959, but they were competing in different categories. You can make a case for Sjostrom being beter than Charlton Heston in Ben-Hur or Tony Curtis in Some Like It Hot, neither of whom are listed here, but better than James Stewart in Anatomy or Jack Lemmon in Hot? I think not, but it's an argument worthy of debate. I will say emphatically, though, that wily old Welch was far better in Anatomy than Oscar nominated George C. Scott or even Arthur O'Connell and Eve Arden, whose performances I liked almost as much.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I love Big Magilla too. And I have a great admiration for his knowledge about movies. Once or twice I have even agreed with his choices - and I have always respected them. But what I used to see as an endearing representation of solid, healthy though a bit conservative American values and tastes, now - I'm sorry - seems to me to have another, darker side. It is, honestly, TOO American. Well intentioned, I know, but still TOO blindly American. It expresses such a strong faith in America - in the familiar, but proudly closed, cultural environment that America provides to its citizens - that I read some of his picks - Stephen Boyd, Joseph N. Welch, Faye Dunaway in "Mommie Dearest" - and, like in an old-style film montage, my eyes start seeing George W. Bush, the invasion of Iraq, September 1973 in Chile, the Third World countries... It's very possible that he personally would never approve of such things - he's too intelligent - but let's face it, this is where it all comes from. Culturally, I mean. Before attacking me, stop for a moment and think about this. You will realize that I am right.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

This calls for an intervention. We all love you, Magilla (really – I’m extremely fond of this virtual yet genuinely companionate, generous, knowledgeable, movie loving entity I know as Big Magilla), but you must face this simple and obvious phenomenon regarding the way you evaluate cinema in general as oppose to individual movies. While I know you’re an open minded person, able to appreciate the joys and merits of non English speaking films when confronted with them, your involvement with and attachment to American cinema is so great, so basic, that for you, Cinema, automatically, is primarily American. The grand opus of American movies is like a living creature for you, a family member, a close, intimate friend, and your love for it is indeed infectious. But as a result of this devotion, you’re totally reluctant to deprive your beloved of whatever honor your about to bestow, so you instinctively turn blind to foreign achievements, for you can not bring yourself to remove a relatively deserving member of your inner circle from your honor list in favor of a respected, more illustrious stranger. I liked Felicity Huffman in Transamerica, but, as Marco might say, objectively, there is no way you find her performance here, or Jamie Foxx’s in Ray better than other performances I’m sure you’re familiar with – Jean Gabin in Grand Illusion, Anna Magnani in Bellissima, Giulietta Masina in La Strada and Giulietta of the Spirits, Jean Paul Belmondo in Breathless, Jeanne Moreau in Jules and Jim, Catherine Deneuve in Belle de Jour, a bunch of Scandinavian actresses and actors who were not Hollywood stars, but gave remarkable performances in Ingmar Bergman’s films, from Victor Sjöström in Wild Strawberries to Bibi Andersson and Liv Ullmann in Persona. But these acting achievements, great as you yourself may find them, are just not part of your subconsciousness. Some foreign performances, those who made your list on extremely week years for English speaking actors may barge in, but they are so few they’re only the exceptions which prove the rule.

p.s. Under no circumstances, according to no rule known to mankind (of which the Academy, as we all know, is not part of), is Jake Gyllenhaal supporting in Brokeback Mountain.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The title of the lists are 100 Great Performances, not THE 100 Best or THE 100 Greatest. Obviously there have been more than 100 great performances in the history of film.

Gloria Stuart is amazing. She was a forgotten mid-level star of the 30s who when she played a guest starring role on Murder She Wrote in the mid-80s (as the murderer no less!) wasn't even listed in the opening credits, was simply mentioned as one of the featured players at the end of the episode. Fortunately the laser disc producers of The Old Dark House tracked her down and got her to do commentary for the film, which has since been transferred to DVD. James Cameron, listened to her delightful commentary when casting Titanic and sought her out for the role in Titanic a dozen or more better known actresses wanted to play. She is listed here as an inspiration to all those other old forgotten stars.

I love Joanne Woodward in Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

It's The Insider. But again, let's call these lists "Best Performances IN AMERICAN MOVIES" and they are even good lists... subjective, like all lists (Gloria Stuart? Joanna Woodward in Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams?) but good. Still, "foreign" movies are much better acted than it would seem from this.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

100 Great Performances by Actors in Supporting Roles Since 1929

1. Wallace Beery in The Big House (1930)
2. Jackie Cooper in The Champ (1931)
3. Boris Karloff in Frankenstein (1931)
4. Adolphe Menjou in The Front Page (1931)
5. Lionel Barrymore in Grand Hotel (1932)
6. Charles Laughton in The Barretts of Wimpole Street (1934)
7. Basil Rathbone in Captain Blood (1935)
8. John Garfield in Four Daughters (1938)
9. Mickey Rooney in Boys Town (1938)
10. Thomas Mitchell in Stagecoach (1939)
11. Claude Rains in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)
12. Walter Brennan in The Westerner (1940)
13. Frank Morgan in The Mortal Storm (1940)
14. Donald Crisp in How Green Was My Valley (1941)
15. James Gleason in Here Comes Mr. Jordan (1941)
16. Monty Woolley in The Man Who Came to Dinner (1942)
17. Charles Coburn in The More the Merrier (1943)
18. Barry Fitzgerald in Going My Way (1944)
19. Clifton Webb in Laura (1944)
20. James Dunn in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1945)
21. Claude Rains in Notorious (1946)
22. Clifton Webb in The Razor’s Edge (1946)
23. Edmund Gwenn in Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
24. Walter Huston in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)
25. Ralph Richardson in The Heiress (1949)
26. George Sanders in All About Eve (1950)
27. Peter Ustinov in Quo Vadis (1951)
28. Robert Walker in Strangers on a Train (1951)
29. Victor McLaglen in The Quiet Man (1952)
30. Donald O’Connor in Singin’ in the Rain (1952)
31. Frank Sinatra in From Here to Eternity (1953)
32. Karl Malden in On the Waterfront (1954)
33. Edmond O’Brien in The Barefoot Contessa (1954)
34. Jack Lemmon in Mister Roberts (1955)
35. Anthony Perkins in Friendly Persuasion (1956)
36. Sessue Hayakawa in The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
37. Burl Ives in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958)
38. Stephen Boyd in Ben-Hur (1959)
39. Joe E. Brown in Some Like It Hot (1959)
40. Joseph N. Welch in Anatomy of a Murder (1959)
41. Trevor Howard in Sons and Lovers (1960)
42. Sal Mineo in Exodus (1960)
43. George Peppard in Home From the Hill (1960)
44. Maximilian Schell in Judgment at Nuremberg (1961)
45. Omar Sharif in Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
46. Terence Stamp in Billy Budd (1962)
47. Melvyn Douglas in Hud (1963)
48. Fredric March in Seven Days in May (1964)
49. Lee Tracy in The Best Man (1964)
50. Walter Matthau in The Fortune Cookie (1966)
51. Robert Shaw in A Man for All Seasons (1966)
52. Jack Albertson in The Subject Was Roses (1968)
53. Jack Nicholson in Easy Rider (1969)
54. Gig Young in They Shoot Horses, Don’t They? (1969)
55. Chief Dan George in Little Big Man (1970)
56. Gene Hackman in I Never Sang for My Father (1970)
57. Ben Johnson in The Last Picture Show (1971)
58. James Caan in The Godfather (1972)
59. Robert Duvall in The Godfather (1972)
60. Joel Grey in Cabaret (1972)
61. Al Pacino in The Godfather (1972)
62. John Houseman in The Paper Chase (1973)
63. Fred Astaire in The Towering Inferno (1974)
64. Holger Lowenadler in Lacombe, Lucien (1974)
65. Jason Robards in All the President’s Men (1976)
66. Peter Firth in Equus (1977)
67. Christopher Walken in The Deer Hunter (1978)
68. Melvyn Douglas in Being There (1979)
69. Timothy Hutton in Ordinary People (1980)
70. John Gielgud in Arthur (1981)
71. Louis Gossett, Jr. in An Officer and a Gentleman (1982)
72. John Lithgow in The World According to Garp (1982)
73. Robert Preston in Victor/Victoria (1982)
74. Jack Nicholson in Terms of Endearment (1983)
75. Haing S. Ngor in The Killing Fields (1984)
76. Klaus Maria Brandauer in Out of Africa (1985)
77. Tom Berenger in Platoon (1986)
78. Willem Dafoe in Platoon (1986)
79. Sean Connery in The Untouchables (1987)
80. Morgan Freeman in Street Smart (1987)
81. Dean Stockwell in Married to the Mob (1988)
82. Denzel Washington in Glory (1989)
83. Bruce Davison in Longtime Companion (1990)
84. Anthony Hopkins in The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
85. Gene Hackman in Unforgiven (1992)
86. Leonardo DiCaprio in What’s Eating Gilbert Grape (1993)
87. Ralph Fiennes in Schindler’s List (1993)
88. Martin Landau in Ed Wood (1994)
89. Kevin Spacey in The Usual Suspects (1995)
90. Edward Norton in Primal Fear (1996)
91. Burt Reynolds in Boogie Nights (1997)
92. Donald Sutherland in Without Limits (1998)
93. Haley Joel Osment in The Sixth Sense (1999)
94. Christopher Plummer in The Outsider (1999)
95. Benicio Del Toro in Traffic (2000)
96. Steve Buscemi in Ghost World (2001)
97. Dennis Quaid in Far From Heaven (2002)
98. Peter Sarsgaard in Shattered Glass (2003)
99. Morgan Freeman in Million Dollar Baby (2004)
100. Jake Gyllenhaal in Brokeback Mountain (2005)

Edited By Big Magilla on 1151020707

Return to “The People”