Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Incendies 9/10

The Human Resources Manager 8/10
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sunday Bloody Sunday (John Schlesinger, 1971) 7/10

The film's ''novelty'' may have worn off but it remains fresh because it deals with ordinary people in a realistic situation, even if it is all very British and civilized. No tantrums, hysteria or melodramatic outbursts. Extremely well acted by the trio, Peter Finch (his warmest performance ever), Glenda Jackson and Murray Head. Nice to see Bessie Love and Dame Peggy in small bits. Schlesinger does a great job.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Thor (2011): Branagh did a terrific job. Thor might be one of the thoughest materials to adapt in terms of a super-hero mythology but he treated the source with such seriousness and respect, with a big enphasis in the "origen" that since the beginning everything makes sense. The Shakespearean intensity is all over the place in the Asgard scenes. Effects are probably a sure nominated thing but the Art Direction was pitch perfect. Nothing extraordinary from the cast, but they were right fitting for their undemanding roles. Nonetheless, I guess the risk was to make this accesible for the masses. In some other hands the film might have been just ridiculous. 7,5/10

Henry V (1989): As an odd thing, I ended up watching this a few days after I saw Thor. In my personal book, there is no way Oliver Stone did a better job than Branagh (I still can understand Day-Lewis Oscar). I'm amazed about the cast but above all this was a directing tour-de-force. All the decisions were incredibly tasteful and vibrant and organic, so during the whole thing the rythm was absolutely riveting. This has been one of the best experiences I had recently with films (and a proof that the standard in good filmmaking is getting lower with the years). My only complain is the English speaking Frenchs. 9/10

Tranformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009): The saddest thing, the one that annoys me the most, is that I would never recover the two hours I used to watch that crap. 1/10

Edited By HarryGoldfarb on 1305064424
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

The Adjustment Bureau (George Nolfi, 2011) 3/10

I totally lost the plot (not that I cared at all from the word go) during the last third when Terence Stamp unexpectedly appears also wearing a hat. What an absurd and boring film. A pity because I liked the characters played by both Matt Damon and Emily Blunt. Just wish they had something different to do. And all that running made me annoyingly breathless.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

The Lincoln Lawyer (Brad Furman, 2011) 3/10

By the numbers film about a lawyer defending a psychotic killer. Pity Matthew McConaughey hasn't found the right role yet to catapult him into the A league.....he does have charisma as a leading man. Marisa Tomei is wasted in a nothing role as the female love interest while Frances Fisher shines in a brief part. Ryan Philippe's baby face is always welcome but he's also living on borrowed time in Hollywood by accepting such useless parts.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Major Dundee (Sam Peckinpah, 1965) 5/10

Great cast but a rambling, slow film. Heston seems to have been in every epic film of the 1960s,
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

ITALIANO wrote:
Reza wrote:Hitler come alive and also manages to make him a sympathetic figure. Ganz should have been nominated for an Oscar.

Alive, yes, sympathetic, sorry, no, not at all - and this is why Ganz's performance is so good and, I agree, nomination-worthy. His Hitler is human, believable, but still a monster.

Hitler was like a spoiled child always wanting to get his way. And when this didn't happen he threw massive temper tantrums. Felt sorry for him when things didn't go as planned towards the end and he was cornered.

I always root for the ''hero'' of a film. Not my fault if the ''hero'', in this case, happens to be a ''villain''.

Edited By Reza on 1304871632
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

anonymous wrote:Blood and Black Lace (Mario Bava) - 8.5/10

My first Mario Bava and certainly not the last.
One of the best, if not the best, of the early giallos, with a memorable color cinematography and some inventive murders. Not all Bava movies are this good, but one can see why he was called "the Italian Hitchcock" (Argento came later).

I saw this movie as a child, on tv, and I was so terrified that for months after this the image of one of the victims - a model with dark short hair being killed in a bathtub - appeared in my nightmares.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Blood and Black Lace (Mario Bava) - 8.5/10

My first Mario Bava and certainly not the last.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Reza wrote:Hitler come alive and also manages to make him a sympathetic figure. Ganz should have been nominated for an Oscar.
Alive, yes, sympathetic, sorry, no, not at all - and this is why Ganz's performance is so good and, I agree, nomination-worthy. His Hitler is human, believable, but still a monster.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Ulzana's Raid (Robert Aldrich, 1972) 4/10

Apaches vs settlers and soldiers with a lot of gore committed by both sides. The version I saw appears to be cut as a number of scenes make no sense. Wonder if a director's cut is available? Burt Lancaster is good as a scout helping the soldiers chase after a band of marauding Apaches out to steal horses and burn and savagely rape and kill homesteaders.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

The Lincoln Lawyer 7/10 Mc Conaughey at his first fine performance. Well structured. Good script.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Water for Elephants 3/10 Absolute lack of chemistry between Witherspoon and Pattinson. Waltz was asked to do the same as in Basterds or, maybe he is a very limited actor.

Edited By Hustler on 1304719170
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Downfall (Oliver Hirschbegel, 2004) 8/10

Hitler's final days in the Berlin Bunker. Mesmerizing performance by Bruno Ganz, who makes Hitler come alive and also manages to make him a sympathetic figure. Ganz should have been nominated for an Oscar.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Blue Valentine 9/10 What a movie! Intense, provocative, with brilliant performances! It was an unforgivable mistake that Ryan Gosling was not nominated this year.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”