Oscar Nominations

For the films of 2021
rolotomasi99
Professor

Re: Oscar Nominations

Post by rolotomasi99 »

mlrg wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:Other interesting little facts:

Billie Eilish is one of the youngest (if not the youngest) non-acting nominee ever, having turned 20 just a few months ago.
Actually Marketa Irglova was younger than Eilish when she won best song back in 2008.
Good catch!
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Flee is the most nominated documentary ever
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Encanto and Flee have the most Academy Award nominations of any animated film since Toy Story 3.

Edit
Last edited by Sabin on Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"How's the despair?"
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

THE POWER OF THE DOG is the most nominated film directed by a woman.
Jane Campion is the first woman to be nominated twice for Directing.
Ari Wegner is only the second woman to be nominated for Cinematography.
Billie Eilish is one of the youngest (if not the youngest) non-acting nominee ever, having turned 20 just a few months ago.
Maggie Gyllenhaal was nominated for Adapted Screenplay while her mother Naomi Foner was nominated for Original Screenplay (RUNNING ON EMPTY) a little more than 30 years ago.
On women in general, Germain Franco is, I think, just the 6th woman to be nominated for score, after Angela Morley, Rachel Portman, Anne Dudley, Mica Levi and Hildur Guðnadóttir. If we get more specific, she is just the fourth to be nominated for Best Original Score.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Actually Marketa Irglova was younger than Eilish when she won best song back in 2008.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Franz Ferdinand wrote:It's a shame Encanto submitted the wrong song, since "We Don't Talk About Bruno" has turned into a genuine phenomenon and become Disney's first pop chart-topping song since previous Original Song winner "A Whole New World" 30 years ago. "Bruno" could have turned into a sure-fire winner and got Lin-Manuel his EGOT; but it's also a pretty out-of-left-field success for an unorthodox pop song.
That song's popularity is really surprising. It is no more catchy than "Surface Pressure" and is certainly not as beautiful as "Dos Oruguitas".

While I was never a huge fan of "Let It Go" I certainly understood why it was such a hit. "We Don't Talk About Bruno" does not have the same power ballad fun of the FROZEN phenom yet it has been even more of a mainstream success. Perhaps it is a reflection of a larger cultural shift in popular music beyond just being an earworm.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:Shall we create a new topic regarding Trivia?
Sure. Go for it.
Judi Dench, upon reaching her eighth nomination, joins the select group made up of Brando, Jack Lemmon, Geraldine Page, Peter O'Toole and Glenn Close. Not bad for an actress who garnered her first nomination around the age of 63. It's never too late guys...

Also, at 87 years and 61 days, Dench becomes the second oldest woman to be nominated for Supporting Actress (and in any category), being just 160 days (about 5 months) younger than Gloria Stuart when she nominated for Titanic.
Maggie Smith, who is nineteen days younger than Dench, could become the oldest next year if she is nominated for Downton Abbey: A New Era in which the dowager thought to be at death's door at the end of the first sequel to the legendary TV series, has a remarkable recovery when she inherits an Italian villa from a former lover. If that doesn't do it, she has two more films in pre-production including A German Life in which she plays Joseph Goebbels' infamous secretary, Brunhilde Pomsel, who died in 2017 at 106. That one, with a screenplay by Christopher Hampton, gives her the starring role.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

It's a shame Encanto submitted the wrong song, since "We Don't Talk About Bruno" has turned into a genuine phenomenon and become Disney's first pop chart-topping song since previous Original Song winner "A Whole New World" 30 years ago. "Bruno" could have turned into a sure-fire winner and got Lin-Manuel his EGOT; but it's also a pretty out-of-left-field success for an unorthodox pop song.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Other interesting little facts:
THE POWER OF THE DOG is the most nominated film directed by a woman.
Jane Campion is the first woman to be nominated twice for Directing.
Ari Wegner is only the second woman to be nominated for Cinematography.
Maggie Gyllenhaal was nominated for Adapted Screenplay while her mother Naomi Foner was nominated for Original Screenplay (RUNNING ON EMPTY) a little more than 30 years ago.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

At this point, we must never bet against Diane Warren getting a nomination for anything she is associated with, no matter how slim to none her chances might be of winning. This nomination, considering how unlikely she is to win, borders on cruel.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The reason this years Oscar nominations feel so sweet is what a direct rebuke to Oscar bloggers they are. We endured weeks of these people on twitter complaining that critics were too high-brow, they were wasting everyone’s time, they weren’t doing their job in predicting or influencing the Oscars.

Well, who’s got egg on their face now.

I don’t think it’s possible that critics lining up lock step behind Drive My Car had no effect. It had to have done something. Had we eight or even nine nominations, I doubt it would have made the cut and instead the discourse would be about how useless this expanded roster is if it includes the likes of Nightmare Alley but not Drive My Car. But we don’t live in that world. We’re in this world. I don’t love Drive My Car but I love that the Academy nominated the international movie of the year almost as much as I love what it says about the relationship between film critic and industry voter, especially in contrast to the copy/paste Oscar blogger.
"How's the despair?"
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

When was the last time we had a movie with three or more acting nominations without a Best Picture nomination? Doubt in 2008?

Shall we create a new topic regarding Trivia?

In any case, Judi Dench, upon reaching her eighth nomination, joins the select group made up of Brando, Jack Lemmon, Geraldine Page, Peter O'Toole and Glenn Close. Not bad for an actress who garnered her first nomination around the age of 63. It's never too late guys...

Also, at 87 years and 61 days, Dench becomes the second oldest woman to be nominated for Supporting Actress (and in any category), being just 160 days (about 5 months) younger than Gloria Stuart when she nominated for Titanic.
Last edited by HarryGoldfarb on Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

This year's "lone director": PT Anderson.

IOW, who would be the "lone director" if the Best Picture category went back to five films. What a difference between this year and 2018. Phantom Thread's "over"-performance took everyone by surprise. This year despite all the build-up, Licorice Pizza probably would've missed Best Picture altogether.

Actually, it's possible there might've been two "lone director" nominees this year, with Drive My Car also missing Best Picture. Dune and King Richard would likely have been in their places.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Along the lines of my everything old is new again theories, here are a few based on this morning's nominations.

It's not likely, but possible that this will end up a year like 1952 when the front-runners for Best Picture were a western (High Noon) and a film set in Ireland (The Quiet Man), both of which were nominated for Best Director (with one winning), while the surprise winner turned out to be a box-office hit whose director was not nominated (The Greatest Show on Earth).

If that happens, it could be a rare year in which three out four of the acting awards go to the same film a la A Streetcar Named Desire and Network, neither of which won Best Picture.

I'm fairly certain it won't be a repeat of 1961 when the original West Side Story won all but one of its 11 nominations. It could, however, be year like 1961, when the supporting winners were from the same film with either Smit-Phee (or Plemons) and Dunst, or Hinds and Dench, winning. II could just as easily be a year like 1938, 1962, or 1966, in which two of the four acting winners were women whose film was either not nominated for, or didn't win, Best Picture with Colman and Buckley winning.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Reza wrote:
danfrank wrote:Has anyone done a count of the nominations per film? I counted 7 for West Side Story, as compared to the 11 that the original film garnered (and won 10). I think the Power of the Dog leads with an impressive 12.
Belfast (8)
"Belfast" has 7.

Also, "West Side Story" did very well, considering some people were starting to write-off Spielberg. It missed adapted screenplay, and the supporting actor field was very competitive, so for a remake it has a pretty good haul. And I think it will probably win somewhere, unlike "True Grit," which lost 10 categories.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021

Return to “94th Academy Awards”