New Developments III

Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

criddic3 wrote:I have been outside New York. A better assumption would be that I have never been outside of America. I did once, as a boy, spend a few days at Lake Ontario, which is as close to Canada as I have gotten. Still, I have visited California, Colorado, and the closer state of Massachusetts. I have only been to New Jersey for Atlantic City and once for a Frank Sinatra concert when I was 12.

My tastes have always veered away from those usual for my age. I listened to Frank Sinatra, Big Bands, Bobby Darin. I sang in talent shows and won a few contests. I enjoyed classic films, even silents and foreign efforts. I read books about political history and fiction by Ray Bradbury and Stephen King (okay so maybe that isn't a big stretch). Generally I did well in school and the teachers usually liked me. I have never picked a physical fight, although I was in a few unwittingly as a kid. I would love to travel to Ireland and France. Took French classes in 6th and 7th grade, only to move to a school that didn't offer it the following year. Took drama classes, creative writing and speech classes.

If I'm so uninformed, and ignorant, I don't think my interests would be so diverse.

You are the spitting image of cosmopolitanism.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Blair knew US had no post-war plan for Iraq

Nicholas Watt, political editor
Sunday June 17, 2007
The Observer

Tony Blair agreed to commit British troops to battle in Iraq in the full knowledge that Washington had failed to make adequate preparations for the postwar reconstruction of the country.

In a devastating account of the chaotic preparations for the war, which comes as Blair enters his final full week in Downing Street, key No 10 aides and friends of Blair have revealed the Prime Minister repeatedly and unsuccessfully raised his concerns with the White House.

He also agreed to commit troops to the conflict even though President George Bush had personally said Britain could help 'some other way'.

The disclosures, in a two-part Channel 4 documentary about Blair's decade in Downing Street, will raise questions about Blair's public assurances at the time of the war in 2003 that he was satisfied with the post-war planning. In one of the most significant interviews in the programme, Peter Mandelson says that the Prime Minister knew the preparations were inadequate but said he was powerless to do more.

'Obviously more attention should have been paid to what happened after, to the planning and what we would do once Saddam had been toppled,' Mandelson tells The Observer's chief political commentator, Andrew Rawnsley, who presents the documentary.

'But I remember him saying at the time: "Look, you know, I can't do everything. That's chiefly America's responsibility, not ours."' Mandelson then criticises his friend: 'Well, I'm afraid that, as we now see, wasn't good enough.'.

Opponents of the war, who have long claimed that the Pentagon planned a short, sharp offensive to overthrow Saddam Hussein with little thought of the consequences, claimed last night that the programme vindicated their criticisms. Sir Menzies Campbell, the Liberal Democrat leader, told The Observer: 'These frank admissions that the Prime Minister was aware of the inadequacies of the preparations for post-conflict Iraq are a devastating indictment.'

Blair's most senior foreign affairs adviser at the time of the war makes clear that Blair was 'exercised' on the exact issue raised by the war's opponents. Sir David Manning, now Britain's ambassador to Washington, says: 'It's hard to know exactly what happened over the post-war planning. I can only say that I remember the PM raising this many months before the war began. He was very exercised about it.'

Manning reveals that Blair was so concerned that he sent him to Washington in March 2002, a full year before the invasion. Manning recalls: 'The difficulties the Prime Minister had in mind were particularly, how difficult was this operation going to be? If they did decide to intervene, what would it be like on the ground? How would you do it? What would the reaction be if you did it, what would happen on the morning after?

'All these issues needed to be thrashed out. It wasn't to say that they weren't thinking about them, but I didn't see the evidence at that stage that these things had been thoroughly rehearsed and thoroughly thought through.'

On his return to London, Manning wrote a highly-critical secret memo to Blair. 'I think there is a real risk that the [Bush] administration underestimates the difficulties,' it said. 'They may agree that failure isn't an option, but this does not mean that they will avoid it.'

Within a year Britain lost any hope of a proper reconstruction in Iraq when post-war planning was handed to the Pentagon at the beginning of 2003.

Sir Jeremy Greenstock, Britain's envoy to the postwar administration in Baghdad, confirms that Blair was in despair. 'There were moments of throwing his hands in the air: "What can we do?" He was tearing his hair over some of the deficiencies.' The failure to prepare meant that Iraq quickly fell apart. Greenstock adds: 'I just felt it was slipping away from us really, from the beginning. There was no security force controlling the streets. There was no police force to speak of.'

The revelation that Blair was 'exercised' in private will raise questions about his public assurances. The former Labour leader, Neil Kinnock, told the programme he was given a personal assurance by Blair that he was satisfied by the preparations. 'I said to Tony, are you certain?' Kinnock told the programme. 'And when he said: "I'm sure," that was a good enough reassurance.'

Condoleezza Rice, then Bush's national security adviser, confirms that the President offered Blair a way out. Bush told Blair: 'Perhaps there's some other way that Britain can be involved.' Blair replied: 'No, I'm with you.'
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I have to laugh. "Real People"? "Desperate maneuverings"? "Illiterate"?

First of all, you didn't say originally that the government was targeting Canadians, so I did not raise an opinion about that. Of course, it comes as no surprise that I do not recall any government official ever connecting Canada to terrorism or blasting any of them for not flying the American flag after 9/11.

I have been outside New York. A better assumption would be that I have never been outside of America. I did once, as a boy, spend a few days at Lake Ontario, which is as close to Canada as I have gotten. Still, I have visited California, Colorado, and the closer state of Massachusetts. I have only been to New Jersey for Atlantic City and once for a Frank Sinatra concert when I was 12.

My tastes have always veered away from those usual for my age. I listened to Frank Sinatra, Big Bands, Bobby Darin. I sang in talent shows and won a few contests. I enjoyed classic films, even silents and foreign efforts. I read books about political history and fiction by Ray Bradbury and Stephen King (okay so maybe that isn't a big stretch). Generally I did well in school and the teachers usually liked me. I have never picked a physical fight, although I was in a few unwittingly as a kid. I would love to travel to Ireland and France. Took French classes in 6th and 7th grade, only to move to a school that didn't offer it the following year. Took drama classes, creative writing and speech classes.

If I'm so uninformed, and ignorant, I don't think my interests would be so diverse. That alone may not fullfill the life-education you envision would change my view of the world, but certainly I am not at the low level of human thought where you place me. By the way, I have not been to the Hamptons. I don't live in upscale circles, and I certainly have not won the lottery recently.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

I think you said "surreal" because you cannot imagine YOUR government and the people who fear it doing such a thing.

Criddic: such a waste of an intelligent mind. You are certainly at the age--well maybe past it--where you should start exploring the world you live in. Do some travelling; see some of how the rest of the world copes, and how it regards the United States, and what REAL people think about. Have slackers like you ever been out of The Hamptons? Tell us where you travelled,-- or at least tell us after you have been there. We assume, by what you have said, that you have not been outside New York in your life.

The intelligent minds that have ridiculed you and called you names obviously read, and because they have inquisitive minds and are thus able to choose which stand they are going to make.

The main difference between us and YOU( that sounds like I would be making you a Martyr for the Cause--certainly don't want that!) is that we are all well-read in many areas. You, my dear, are not. Which makes you illiterate.

I fear for you when your idol and all the crooks he stands up for are roundly trumped out of office. What will you do? What will consume you next? It's coming--a little more than a year away. Prepare.
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

Criddic: I don't think you fabricate things. You look for someone with whom you can identify in your own small world, whether it is that slug Lieberman or the opportunist Guilani who would curtail all immigration. You need to do some reading. Start with Orwell's 1984.
BUT: Just because you weren't a Canadian in 2001-2003, just because you weren't there, doesn't mean it did not happen. Surreal, you say? The narrow version of the world that you inhabit is, in most of our eyes, the surreal world.
Many of us are older, wiser, and remember history in a way a very young man like you do not. I would venture to say that most of us are horrified at the way the world has changed under your hero.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Does this real world consider New York as one of the border states?

Wasn't Stephen Glass this desperate in his maneuverings?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

What I Saw in Iraq
Iran remains a problem, but Anbar has joined the fight against terror.

BY JOSEPH LIEBERMAN
Friday, June 15, 2007 12:01 a.m. EDT

I recently returned from Iraq and four other countries in the Middle East, my first trip to the region since December. In the intervening five months, almost everything about the American war effort in Baghdad has changed, with a new coalition military commander, Gen. David Petraeus; a new U.S. ambassador, Ryan Crocker; the introduction, at last, of new troops; and most important of all, a bold, new counterinsurgency strategy.

The question of course is--is it working? Here in Washington, advocates of retreat insist with absolute certainty that it is not, seizing upon every suicide bombing and American casualty as proof positive that the U.S. has failed in Iraq, and that it is time to get out.

In Baghdad, however, discussions with the talented Americans responsible for leading this fight are more balanced, more hopeful and, above all, more strategic in their focus--fixated not just on the headline or loss of the day, but on the larger stakes in this struggle, beginning with who our enemies are in Iraq. The officials I met in Baghdad said that 90% of suicide bombings in Iraq today are the work of non-Iraqi, al Qaeda terrorists. In fact, al Qaeda's leaders have repeatedly said that Iraq is the central front of their global war against us. That is why it is nonsensical for anyone to claim that the war in Iraq can be separated from the war against al Qaeda--and why a U.S. pullout, under fire, would represent an epic victory for al Qaeda, as significant as their attacks on 9/11.

Some of my colleagues in Washington claim we can fight al Qaeda in Iraq while disengaging from the sectarian violence there. Not so, say our commanders in Baghdad, who point out that the crux of al Qaeda's strategy is to spark Iraqi civil war.

Al Qaeda is launching spectacular terrorist bombings in Iraq, such as the despicable attack on the Golden Mosque in Samarra this week, to try to provoke sectarian violence. Its obvious aim is to use Sunni-Shia bloodshed to collapse the Iraqi government and create a failed state in the heart of the Middle East, radicalizing the region and providing a base from which to launch terrorist attacks against the West.

Facts on the ground also compel us to recognize that Iran is doing everything in its power to drive us out of Iraq, including providing substantive support, training and sophisticated explosive devices to insurgents who are murdering American soldiers. Iran has initiated a deadly military confrontation with us, from bases in Iran, which we ignore at our peril, and at the peril of our allies throughout the Middle East.
The precipitous withdrawal of U.S. forces would not only throw open large parts of Iraq to domination by the radical regime in Tehran, it would also send an unmistakable message to the entire Middle East--from Lebanon to Gaza to the Persian Gulf where Iranian agents are threatening our allies--that Iran is ascendant there, and America is in retreat. One Arab leader told me during my trip that he is extremely concerned about Tehran's nuclear ambitions, but that he doubted America's staying power in the region and our political will to protect his country from Iranian retaliation over the long term. Abandoning Iraq now would substantiate precisely these gathering fears across the Middle East that the U.S. is becoming an unreliable ally.

That is why--as terrible as the continuing human cost of fighting this war in Iraq is--the human cost of losing it would be even greater.

Gen. Petraeus and other U.S. officials in Iraq emphasize that it is still too soon to draw hard judgments about the success of our new security strategy--but during my visit I saw hopeful signs of progress. Consider Anbar province, Iraq's heart of darkness for most of the past four years. When I last visited Anbar in December, the U.S. military would not allow me to visit the provincial capital, Ramadi, because it was too dangerous. Anbar was one of al Qaeda's major strongholds in Iraq and the region where the majority of American casualties were occurring. A few months earlier, the Marine Corps chief of intelligence in Iraq had written off the entire province as "lost," while the Iraq Study Group described the situation there as "deteriorating."

When I returned to Anbar on this trip, however, the security environment had undergone a dramatic reversal. Attacks on U.S. troops there have dropped from an average of 30 to 35 a day a few months ago to less than one a day now, according to Col. John Charlton, commander of the 1st Brigade of the 3rd Infantry Division, headquartered in Ramadi. Whereas six months ago only half of Ramadi's 23 tribes were cooperating with the coalition, all have now been persuaded to join an anti-al Qaeda alliance. One of Ramadi's leading sheikhs told me: "A rifle pointed at an American soldier is a rifle pointed at an Iraqi."

The recent U.S. experience in Anbar also rebuts the bromide that the new security plan is doomed to fail because there is no "military" solution for Iraq. In fact, no one believes there is a purely "military" solution for Iraq. But the presence of U.S. forces is critical not just to ensuring basic security, but to a much broader spectrum of diplomatic, political and economic missions--which are being carried out today in Iraq under Gen. Petraeus's counterinsurgency strategy.

In Anbar, for example, the U.S. military has been essential to the formation and survival of the tribal alliance against al Qaeda, simultaneously holding together an otherwise fractious group of Sunni Arab leaders through deft diplomacy, while establishing a political bridge between them and the Shia-dominated government in Baghdad. "This is a continuous effort," Col. Charlton said. "We meet with the sheikhs every single day and at every single level."

In Baghdad, U.S. forces have cut in half the number of Iraqi deaths from sectarian violence since the surge began in February. They have also been making critical improvements in governance, basic services and commercial activity at the grassroots level.

On Haifa Street, for instance, where there was bloody fighting not so long ago, the 2nd "Black Jack" Brigade of our First Cavalry Division, under the command of a typically impressive American colonel, Bryan Roberts, has not only retaken the neighborhood from insurgents, but is working with the local population to revamp the electrical grid and sewer system, renovate schools and clinics, and create an "economic safe zone" where businesses can reopen. Indeed, of the brigade's five "lines of operations," only one is strictly military. That Iraq reality makes pure fiction of the argument heard in Washington that the surge will fail because it is only "military."

Some argue that the new strategy is failing because, despite gains in Baghdad and Anbar, violence has increased elsewhere in the country, such as Diyala province. This gets things backwards: Our troops have succeeded in improving security conditions in precisely those parts of Iraq where the "surge" has focused. Al Qaeda has shifted its operations to places like Diyala in large measure because we have made progress in pushing them out of Anbar and Baghdad. The question now is, do we consolidate and build on the successes that the new strategy has achieved, keeping al Qaeda on the run, or do we abandon them?

To be sure, there are still daunting challenges ahead. Iraqi political leaders, in particular, need to step forward and urgently work through difficult political questions, whose resolution is necessary for national reconciliation and, as I told them, continuing American support.

These necessary legislative compromises would be difficult to accomplish in any political system, including peaceful, long-established democracies--as the recent performance of our own Congress reminds us. Nonetheless, Iraqi leaders are struggling against enormous odds to make progress, and told me they expect to pass at least some of the key benchmark bills this summer. It is critical that they do so.

Here, too, however, a little perspective is useful. While benchmarks are critically important, American soldiers are not fighting in Iraq today only so that Iraqis can pass a law to share oil revenues. They are fighting because a failed state in the heart of the Middle East, overrun by al Qaeda and Iran, would be a catastrophe for American national security and our safety here at home. They are fighting al Qaeda and agents of Iran in order to create the stability in Iraq that will allow its government to take over, to achieve the national reconciliation that will enable them to pass the oil law and other benchmark legislation.
I returned from Iraq grateful for the progress I saw and painfully aware of the difficult problems that remain ahead. But I also returned with a renewed understanding of how important it is that we not abandon Iraq to al Qaeda and Iran, so long as victory there is still possible.

And I conclude from my visit that victory is still possible in Iraq--thanks to the Iraqi majority that desperately wants a better life, and because of the courage, compassion and competence of the extraordinary soldiers and statesmen who are carrying the fight there, starting with Gen. Petraeus and Ambassador Crocker. The question now is, will we politicians in Washington rise to match their leadership, sacrifices and understanding of what is on the line for us in Iraq--or will we betray them, and along with them, America's future security?

Mr. Lieberman is an Independent Democratic senator from Connecticut.

--
I'm the Stephen Glass of the UAADB? I fabricate things?? Sure, and you're the Easter Bunny. You know, it's one thing not to see the humor, as in sarcasm or other humorous device, but to make these silly accusations just doesn't make any sense. I have never made anything up out of thin air on this or any other thread. Stated opinions, yes. Responded to surreal stories about Canadians being targeted after 9/11 as being terrorist-sympathizers? Yes. Did some people have a problem with Canadians after 9/11? Maybe, but I never met any of them. That is why I said what I said, I live in a state that wouldn't have need of making fun of Canadians for the reasons cam says he was targeted for. Or maybe that's just me, since I can't imagine why anyone would make such a judgment and treat people that way. I can see why some would be offended at the lack of active sympathy he describes, but not to the point of accusation. So that's the story behind the signature that Sonic thought was so marvelously out-there. Now, back to the real world.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

criddic3 wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:
Sabin wrote:Love the signature, Sonic.

And he gave me permission to use it.

And it's probably a badge of honor for him.

Badge of honor? No, it was a joke about the fact that I had not heard anyone bashing Canadians and it must be because I don't live near the Canadian border. You guys have no sense of humor, except of course when you're making fun of Bush supporters.
I merely thought he had no sense of direction, and is insular and navel-gazing like most Republicans.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

criddic3 wrote:This was exactly my point. First of all, GWB never said anything about Canadians being terrorists that I recall. Second, the Freedom Fries thing is part of what I had in mind with reference to France at the time. I never heard anyone talk ill of Canada after 9/11 for terrorism. In fact the only things I've heard people complain about Canada are its Health Care and Same-sex Unions. Not terrorism. Then again, I don't live in a border state. I am from New York.
Could someone help me? I fail to see the humor in this post. Other than what it unintentionally evokes.

And by "someone", I mean someone other than Criddic, the Stephen Glass of the UAADB?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Sonic Youth wrote:

Badge of honor? No, it was a joke about the fact that I had not heard anyone bashing Canadians and it must be because I don't live near the Canadian border. You guys have no sense of humor, except of course when you're making fun of Bush supporters.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Petraeus says security crackdown working

CHANGES IN THE IRAQ WAR

By César G. Soriano, USA TODAY

BAGHDAD — When Gen. David Petraeus drives through the streets of Iraq's capital, he sees "astonishing signs of normalcy" in half, perhaps two-thirds of Baghdad.
"I'm talking about professional soccer leagues with real grass field stadiums, several amusement parks — big ones, markets that are very vibrant," says Petraeus, commander of the roughly 150,000 U.S. troops in Iraq. The scenes provide a sign that the new strategy in Iraq is working, although many problems remain, he told USA TODAY in an interview Wednesday.

Five months after President Bush ordered an increase of 20,000 U.S. troops in Iraq, data suggest that sectarian violence in Baghdad has declined. Other tentative signs of progress have included a rise in Iraqi army enlistments and some quality-of-life improvements such as fewer electricity blackouts in the capital.

[Q&A: Petraeus on Iran's, al-Sadr's influence in Iraq
RELATED: General says shrine attack may light fuse]

However, U.S. military casualties have jumped to record-high levels as more troops are put in harm's way. Violence has surged in some areas outside the capital. Iraq's government has yet to pass any of the major legislative changes that Bush said were necessary for an enduring peace between the Sunni and Shiite sects.

"If the Iraqi government does not follow through on its promises, it will lose the support of the American people — it will lose the support of the Iraqi people," Bush said in a televised address on Jan. 10, when the new strategy was announced. "Now is the time to act."

Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has asked for patience, saying that new security plan — officially named Operation Fardh al-Qanoon, Arabic for "Enforcing the Law" — still needs time to take hold after its official launch on Feb. 14.

Meanwhile, U.S. commanders have urged the American public not to pass judgment on the plan's effectiveness until after all U.S. troops are fully deployed. That is due to happen Friday. In September, Petraeus and U.S. Ambassador Ryan Crocker are to present a report on the plan's effectiveness to leaders in Washington.

Petraeus did not specifically say what subjects he might address in his evaluation. Here is a look at some of the changes in Iraq since February.

Possible signs of progress

•Iraq's army. The Iraqi army currently has 152,500 trained and equipped soldiers, nearly 20,000 more troops than were on the rosters in January, according to the U.S. State Department. Another 20,000 soldiers will be added to the ranks this year, the U.S. military says.

The Army now has its own Iraqi-run basic training and leadership schools. "The Iraqi army has, in general, done quite well in the face of some really serious challenges," Petraeus says. "In certain areas it really is very heartening to see what it has done."

•Anbar province. This area in the heart of the Sunni Triangle has been held up by the U.S. military as a model for Iraq. "The progress in Anbar has actually been breathtaking," Petraeus says.

Commanders credit much of the success to the U.S. military's decision to arm, train and organize Sunni provincial militias that have turned against al-Qaeda militants operating in the area.

"If you've got folks who say, 'Hey, this is my hometown, and I'm tired of the violence and if you simply train and equip me, I'll protect my hometown.' We ought to jump on that like a duck on a June bug," says Maj. Gen. Rick Lynch, commander of the 3rd Infantry Division.

Commanders elsewhere in Iraq are studying lessons that can be learned from Anbar, although Petraeus said that each area of Iraq has "unique circumstances." Anbar is mostly Sunni and does not have the volatile sectarian mix that stokes violence in other parts of the country.

•Sectarian violence. The number of unidentified bodies found in Baghdad — an indicator of sectarian violence between Sunni and Shiite Muslims — dropped from a high of 1,782 in October to 411 in April, according to an Interior Ministry official who declined to be named because he is not authorized to speak to the media.

The body count spiked to 726 in May. So far this month, the numbers are again on a "downward trend," Petraeus says. Although the bombing Wednesday of a major Shiite shrine in Samarra raises the risk of a new outbreak of sectarian violence, he says.

Areas of concern

• U.S. casualties. As U.S. forces spread deeper into insurgent-held territories, they are paying the price in blood. At least 230 soldiers were killed in April and May, the highest two-month death toll since the war began. This month, at least 32 soldiers have been killed in Iraq.

Roadside bombs — improvised explosive devices — remain the No. 1 killer of U.S. troops. Sixty-five percent of May casualties were caused by IEDs, up from 32% in February, according to a study by the Brookings Institution, a Washington think tank.

• Iraqi police. Iraq's 135,000-strong police force continues to be plagued with problems, U.S. commanders say. Up to 70% of Iraqi police leaders have been replaced because they had ties to sectarian violence, Petraeus says.

About 5,000 police deserted the force in the 18 months before January, Lt. Gen. Martin Dempsey said at a Pentagon news conference Wednesday. Another 7,000 or 8,000 police officers are unaccounted for.

"I have great concerns about the police," Lynch says. "There are large areas in (central Iraq) where there are no police. And in areas where we do have police, we have corrupt police."

• Political unity. Al-Maliki's government has been unable to push any major initiatives through Iraq's parliament, including a law on how to share the country's oil revenues.

"I think everyone, including the government of Iraq, is impatient with the rate of progress in a variety of different areas," Petraeus says. "They are trying to do it in a reasonably democratic way … in a government that is comprised of representatives from ethno-sectarian interests."
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Mister Tee wrote:...and Bush hits 28%, a new low, in the Quinnipiac poll. Earlier excursions into the 20s seemed flukes (though amusing ones). Now, however, they're starting to mount up, and must be taken seriously. This is a historically unpopular presidency.
I saw a t-shirt the other day: "I Hated Bush Before It Was Cool To Hate Him."
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

To underline it: NBC/Wall Street Journal has him at 29%. This is way too many reputable polling outfits getting the same result for it to be an outlier. Can one of the usual lowball souces (Harris Interactive, Cbs) put him below 25?
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

...and Bush hits 28%, a new low, in the Quinnipiac poll. Earlier excursions into the 20s seemed flukes (though amusing ones). Now, however, they're starting to mount up, and must be taken seriously. This is a historically unpopular presidency.

And don't be sure the right-wing take ("It's conservatives abandoning him, for being insufficiently hostile to Mexican immigrants") is correct. At least one pollster has reported the latest erosion came right after Bush's supposed "victory" in getting his Iraq war funding. (Yeah, that hurt Democrats, too, but there continues to be underestimation of just how suicidal it is for Bush and his party to be identified with something so manifestly loathed by the populace)
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “Current Events”