Complete List of Nominations

For the films of 2013
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: Complete List of Nominations

Post by Precious Doll »

rolotomasi99 wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:However, the Foreign Language Film line up is one of the best ever. Whatever one may think of the individual films, the fact is that all of these films are highly regarded in their own right and any of them would make a respectable winner.
I just wish WADJDA had been included. :(
Whilst I enjoyed Wadjda myself I found it very slight and derivate of far better Iranian films from the late 1990's like The White Balloon and Children of Heaven.

In many respects Wadjda was a novelty piece as it was the first film (that we know of) to be made in Saudi Arabia and directed by a woman. It should be noted that Haifaa al-Mansour studied filmmaking at the University of Sydney, which goes a great deal to explain the very Western feel of her film.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Mister Tee wrote:I recognize it's a matter of high profile/low profile, but, since everybody bitches and moans about Meryl Streep getting automatic nominations, howcome no one says boo about John Williams getting cited every time he tunes up? The music score category is tried-blood almost all around, in fact -- I admire Thomas Newman and Alexander Desplat, but do they have to turn up every time?
Since complaining about Meryl Streep seems to be popular around here, I thought I would post this link about how worthy each of her Oscar nominations were.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/01/meryl-st ... tions.html

As far as I am concerned, Meryl Streep has never given a bad performance -- even in bad movies like She-Devil. I also think her only Oscar nomination she did not deserve was for MUSIC OF THE HEART, and for the same reason as the link says -- Reese Witherspoon should have been nominated (and maybe even won) instead.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Precious Doll wrote:However, the Foreign Language Film line up is one of the best ever. Whatever one may think of the individual films, the fact is that all of these films are highly regarded in their own right and any of them would make a respectable winner.
I just wish WADJDA had been included. :(
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Well, I suppose us Oscar completists will need to track this film down sometime in the near future.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I feel better. Alone But Not Alone apparently had an Oscar qualifying run in one theatre in L.A. in September, not that anyone bothered to go see it. The title song was nominated due to old-fashioned arm-twisting cronyism. Here's the link:

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/oscars-aca ... 12886.html
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

The selection of documentary features really needs a shakeup. The exclusion of Blackfish and Stories We Tell are really not surprising given this categories history of omissions.

However, the Foreign Language Film line up is one of the best ever. Whatever one may think of the individual films, the fact is that all of these films are highly regarded in their own right and any of them would make a respectable winner.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

flipp525 wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:All 5 actress nominees are previous winners.
Amy Adams isn't an Oscar winner.
This dawned on me on my way to work and I wasn't going to walk back home to correct my stupid statement.

I was dazed when I got up this morning due to excessive sleeping pill use and little sleep. I had not intended to wake up early and was planning on going to work early but a parcel delivery arrived at 7.00am and woke me up. It's a shame that cats cannot be trained to open the front door and accept parcel deliveries.

I'm just thankful that I had nothing of major importance to do today at work until this afternoon but which time I was back to normal.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Sonic Youth wrote:Plus, I wanted to see Eric freak out.
Oh I have very little doubt Dallas landed within the top 5 this year. After all, did not Finding Neverland, Frost/Nixon, Atonement, etc. etc. etc.?
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Sabin wrote:Favorite lineup of nominees…?

Best Director. I find it very difficult to assess or rank films this year, but I think very highly of American Hustle, Gravity, Nebraska, 12 Years a Slave, and The Wolf of Wall Street. Five exceptional films. Five films directed with so much personality. Without Spike Jonze in the mix, it's not quite as staggering as it could be, but these are all major works by ambitious, still burgeoning talents.
Are you drunk?
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Rachel Winter co-produced Dallas Buyers Club. Her husband is Terence Winter, TWOWS's writer. They both are now Academy Awards nominees, getting in the select list of married couples to receive Oscar nods in the same year.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Mister Tee, I'm not questioning whether 12 Years is overhyped as a frontrunner or not. I was just trying to find what the explanations may have been for missing those particular categories. I thought for score, at least, there was a very solid alternative reason. And as long as Zimmer never gets nominated for the rest of his life, I think it'll hold water.

Excuse me, but I just noticed that the Broadcast Film Critics Association awarded Best Picture to 12 Years. Huge! This changes everything!
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Okri wrote: Sabin, re best actress, what are you talking about? I mean, seriously. This year is a huge anomaly. Last year we saw Riva and Wallis. Before that Mara. Before that Jennifer Lawrence, Carey Mulligan, Gabourey Sidibe, Anne Hathaway, Melissa Leo, Marion Cotillard, Ellen Page, Penelope Cruz..... I mean, question their performance quality, but I really don't see how that fits your assertion.
Exactly.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Okri wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:
I agree, re: Wolf of Wall Street. But I think Captain Phillips would've beaten Dallas Buyers.
Between the two, I'm not sure which would've been nominated. One seems just as likely as the other. But Greengrass and Hanks getting snubbed indicates weaker-than- expected support for Captain Phillips, while Dallas' noms including editing indicates the opposite, so I went with Dallas. Plus, I wanted to see Eric freak out.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

OscarGuy wrote:Actually. I predicted it would get both Best Production Design and Best Costume Design and Peter joined me in predicting it for Best Costume Design. So, don't say no one here saw it going into the two design categories.
I'm not talking about costumes; most people had it in costumes. I'm saying I scanned the board here under production design, and didn't see it anywhere. (Didn't follow your link, but congratulations on having been among a select few)
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Sonic Youth wrote:Did "Her" really have such a great showing, though? Besides the expanded Picture category, it was nominated for Screenplay, Art Direction and two music categories from which the members seem capable of separating the quality of the film (or, in the case of Best Song, the possibility that there may be no movie at all) from the music itself. Had Phoenix or Spike Jones managed a nomination, Her would've been one of the big stories of the day.

I'm guessing Scorsese would've been the lone director nominee if we were back to the Best Picture slate of five. Jonah Hill was a nice surprise, but there was absolutely no support in the technical noms, not even for his longtime collaborator Thelma Schoonmaker. That's a classic "lone director" profile. Like it or not, Dallas Buyers Club might very well have made it in the top five.
I didn't think it would get best picture, art direction, or either of the music categories.

I'm also going to point out that the music branch are some of the croniest bunch of AMPAS, so for the duo from the Arcade Frickin Fire to get nominated was pretty awesome.

I agree, re: Wolf of Wall Street. But I think Captain Phillips would've beaten Dallas Buyers.

Also, Sabin, re best actress, what are you talking about? I mean, seriously. This year is a huge anomaly. Last year we saw Riva and Wallis. Before that Mara. Before that Jennifer Lawrence, Carey Mulligan, Gabourey Sidibe, Anne Hathaway, Melissa Leo, Marion Cotillard, Ellen Page, Penelope Cruz..... I mean, question their performance quality, but I really don't see how that fits your assertion.

But I also agree with flipp re: Streep.

Return to “86th Nominations and Winners”