82nd Oscars - Best Documentary Short

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

'Music By Prudence' Oscar Flap: The Inside Story
Academy Awards' Kanye moment resulted from falling-out between documentary's director and producer.
By Eric Ditzian

In the midst of an Oscar ceremony Sunday night that presented little in the way of you'll-be-talking-about-this-tomorrow spontaneity came the dustup between the filmmakers of Best Documentary Short winner "Music by Prudence." Director Roger Ross Williams had just begun his acceptance speech when Elinor Burkett, a producer of the short, went and pulled a Kanye West, interrupting Williams mid-sentence.

"The man never lets the woman talk," she said. "Isn't that just the classic thing?"

So what exactly brought about this awards show wackiness? Salon.com spoke separately to both Burkett and Williams following the ceremony to get the inside word. Turns out that the two had a falling-out over the direction of the short, which focuses on disabled musicians in Zimbabwe. Burkett was removed as a producer almost a year ago yet still qualified as an official nominee according to Academy rules. Burkett said the disagreement resulted in a lawsuit and an out-of-court settlement. Only one person is allowed to accept the award and they did not discuss any arrangements before the ceremony.

"[H]e's not speaking to me," Burkett said. "So we weren't even able to discuss ahead of the time who would be the one person allowed to speak if we won. And then, as I'm sure you saw, when we won, he raced up there to accept the award. And his mother took her cane and blocked me. So I couldn't get up there very fast."

Williams said that he never expected Burkett to pull such a move. "I was the director, and she was removed from the project nearly a year ago," he said. "I own the film. She has no claim whatsoever. She has nothing to do with the movie. She just ambushed me. I was sort of in shock."

The dispute originated over the focus of the short. Williams concentrated on 21-year-old Prudence Mabhena, a disabled Zimbabwean bandleader. Burkett wanted to highlight the efforts of Prudence's entire band, rather than make Mabhena the center of the short. Mabhena was in the audience at the Oscars and cracked a wide smile following Burkett's surprise interruption.

Williams said that the intrusion did not at all diminish his Oscar win and he heartily endorsed the comparison to Kanye's MTV Video Music Awards moment. "She pulled a Kanye," he said. "And it's a shame, because this is such a positive, happy film."

Edited By Damien on 1268078434
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Music by Prudence - Roger Ross Williams, Elinor Burkett

that is the official nomination entry. She was one of the nominees on the picture, but the Academy only permits one person to speak and so she interrupted him to get her words in. Of course, she removed herself from the project over creative differences, but was still credited as a producer.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
bettestreep2008
Graduate

Post by bettestreep2008 »

I actually thought the woman was drunk! Couldn't understand a word she said - very slurred.

And if she was a producer of the short - then she would get an Oscar statuette too.

If she had nothing to do with the film - well shame on her for butting in and interrupting the producer's moment in the sun!

That Kanye West has a lot to answer for!
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Well, it made for some compelling viewing, even if it was highly awkward.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

The lady didn't have an Oscar in her hand, so therefore she wasn't a winner. She had no business being up there in the first place and showed a tremendous lack of class by butting into his acceptance speech mid-sentence. So late or not, she needed to shut the fuck up and let him finish what he wanted to say.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

MovieWes wrote:What was up with that bitch who interrupted the winner during his acceptance speech?
I think that was the other producer who was fucking late coming up the stage. I have a feeling those two didn't get along when they made the film.
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

SMH @ that blob pulling a Kanye West. I thought it was a joke at first!
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

What was up with that bitch who interrupted the winner during his acceptance speech?
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Music by Prudence
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “82nd Nominations and Winners”