Up
5%
Up In The Air
10%

Total votes: 40

rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

I hope you're not being serious, barrybrooks. I always enjoy reading your musings. Don't let the strongly-presented opinions of certain posters here drive you off.

Unless someone submitted a prediction to Big Magilla by PM, I think you and I were the only two here to predict the Adapted Screenplay category correctly tonight. Clearly we were onto something the rest of these folks weren't.
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

I can't just like or dislike a movie huh? It has to be quality. I guess The Last Station has more quality than say Watchmen then? I didnt know Oscar had to be about a perception than an opinion. I won't bother you all with my musings anymore.
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

The Original BJ wrote:Hahahaha, oh you guys. Damien means The Blind Side isn't a goddamn cartoon, because those aren't real movies.
And we have another winner! :D
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

FilmFan720 wrote:I think he was slamming Up for being a goddamn cartoon, not a "real movie"
Bingo! :D
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

As per the Oscars, I don't think you actually have to vote for all 10 slots...if you want to submit what you have, you can
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

rolotomasi99 wrote: However, the average Oscar voter probably fills out their ballot using the same criteria you cite: what entertained them the most.
Exactly. Though, of course, even finding The Blind Side "merely" entertaining says alot about a person.

I'm sorry I can't send my ballot (I haven't seen all the nominees). If I did, The Hurt Locker would have less chances of winning here - which will certainly happen.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Hahahaha, oh you guys. Damien means The Blind Side isn't a goddamn cartoon, because those aren't real movies.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I think he was slamming Up for being a goddamn cartoon, not a "real movie"
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think what he's talking about as a "real movie" is one which actually resolves itself neatly at the end. The Hurt Locker isn't an entirely conventional ending (nor is it that unconventional either), but you actually feel like something's been finished with The Blind Side whereas The Hurt Locker feels like it could have gone further.

But, that's my perception of what he means, not necessarily my personal opinion of it.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Damien wrote:Blind Side is not number 10 on my list either. At least it's a real movie.
I have no idea what that means exactly, but it certainly makes me wonder less about why you dislike THE HURT LOCKER. If THE BLIND SIDE is a "real movie" than of course THE HURT LOCKER would not be good. It does not have any big stars, does not have a polished look to it, does not have an easy to follow three act structure, does not have a simple and obvious point or moral to its story, and worst of all it does not make you feel good at the end.

Damien, by praising THE BLIND SIDE you finally helped me understand why THE HURT LOCKER is a bad film. Using your standard (where THE BLIND SIDE merits as "real") than THE HURT LOCKER definitely fails. Hopefully enough people in the Academy disagrees with you.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

barrybrooks8 wrote:Then I guess I have no business doing so. I ranked it above Avatar and Up in the Air. I hated almost every minute of Up in the Air, and Avatar was IMO boring. I didn't care about the characters, the storyline, or the whining Navi. The Blind Side, yes, a glorified Lifetime movie, but at least I wasn't constanly rolling my eyes at empty characterizations and repeated scenes of people getting fired and all of them reacting the same way over and over again, or waiting desperately for a movie to end. If I made a list of my favorite movies of the year, no, The Blind Side wouldn't even be in the top 30.

It sounds like you are judging the listed films by which one entertained you most, while I was talking about which one was of the highest quality.

If I had an Oscar ballot, I would rank the nominated movies according to their quality. While DISTRICT 9 was more entertaining to me than PRECIOUS, A SERIOUS MAN, or AN EDUCATION, I did not think it was an all-around higher quality film than those three.

I have my problems with AVATAR and UP IN THE AIR as well, but I certainly think they are more well made than THE BLIND SIDE. However, the average Oscar voter probably fills out their ballot using the same criteria you cite: what entertained them the most.

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1267736653
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Blind Side is not number 10 on my list either. At least it's a real movie.

And I'm not too impressed by the taste or critical faculties who would put Hurt Locker as Number 1.
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Then I guess I have no business doing so. I ranked it above Avatar and Up in the Air. I hated almost every minute of Up in the Air, and Avatar was IMO boring. I didn't care about the characters, the storyline, or the whining Navi. The Blind Side, yes, a glorified Lifetime movie, but at least I wasn't constanly rolling my eyes at empty characterizations and repeated scenes of people getting fired and all of them reacting the same way over and over again, or waiting desperately for a movie to end. If I made a list of my favorite movies of the year, no, The Blind Side wouldn't even be in the top 30.
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

I sent my ballot to both of you for Best Picture.

Like I said earlier, if THE BLIND SIDE is not number 10 on your ballot you really have no business judging the quality of a film.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, I started taking ballots, but have received only one so far...is anyone else going to send a ballot?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “82nd Nominations and Winners”