Up
5%
Up In The Air
10%

Total votes: 40

FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

OK...PM me your ballots in the next 48 hours., ranked 1-10, and I will tabulate Saturday night in time for Sundays big show
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

I figured here was as good a place as any to post this. AwardsDaily had a reader poll of their pick for Best Picture (not predix) using the preferential ballot. The results are quite illuminating. While the taste of the blog's readers may not mirror the Academy's, it is very interesting to see how people's votes went to different movies. I was really surprised to see what fans of certain movies picked as their number two on the ballot.

I would love to know how it would break down for UAADB members.

Round 1

INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS – 392 Votes
THE HURT LOCKER – 360 Votes
UP IN THE AIR – 111 Votes
UP – 80 Votes
A SERIOUS MAN – 79 Votes
PRECIOUS – 52 Votes
DISTRICT 9 – 37 Votes
AN EDUCATION – 35 Votes
THE BLIND SIDE – 10 Votes *** ELIMINATED ***

Round 2

INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS – 393 Votes – Including 1 from The Blind Side
THE HURT LOCKER – 362 Votes – Including 2 from The Blind Side
AVATAR – 200 Votes – Including 0 from The Blind Side
UP IN THE AIR – 111 Votes – Including 0 from The Blind Side
UP – 81 Votes – Including 1 from The Blind Side
A SERIOUS MAN – 79 Votes – Including 0 from The Blind Side
PRECIOUS – 53 Votes – Including 1 from The Blind Side
DISTRICT 9 – 41 Votes – Including 4 from The Blind Side
AN EDUCATION – 36 Votes – Including 1 from The Blind Side *** ELIMINATED ***

Round 3

INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS – 401 Votes – Including 8 from An Education
THE HURT LOCKER – 373 Votes – Including 11 from An Education
AVATAR – 202 Votes – Including 2 from An Education
UP IN THE AIR- 117 Votes – Including 6 from An Education
UP – 84 Votes – Including 3 from An Education
A SERIOUS MAN – 79 Votes – Including 0 from An Education
PRECIOUS – 57 Votes – Including 4 from An Education
DISTRICT 9 – 42 Votes – Including 1 from An Education *** ELIMINATED ***

Round 4

INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS – 409 Votes – Including 8 from District 9
THE HURT LOCKER – 383 Votes – Including 10 from District 9
AVATAR – 208 Votes – Including 6 from District 9
UP IN THE AIR – 118 Votes – Including 1 from District 9
UP – 94 Votes – Including 10 from District 9
A SERIOUS MAN – 80 Votes – Including 1 from District 9
PRECIOUS – 62 Votes – Including 5 from District 9 *** ELIMINATED ***

Round 5

INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS – 420 Votes – Including 11 from Precious
THE HURT LOCKER – 404 Votes – Including 21 from Precious
AVATAR – 217 Votes – Including 9 from Precious
UP IN THE AIR – 130 Votes – Including 12 from Precious
UP – 100 Votes – Including 6 from Precious
A SERIOUS MAN – 82 Votes – Including 2 from Precious *** ELIMINATED ***

Round 6

INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS – 452 Votes – Including 32 from A Serious Man
THE HURT LOCKER – 429 Votes – Including 25 from A Serious Man
AVATAR – 221 Votes – Including 4 from A Serious Man
UP IN THE AIR – 138 Votes – Including 8 from A Serious Man
UP – 113 Votes – Including 13 from A Serious Man *** ELIMINATED ***

Round 7

INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS – 485 Votes – Including 33 from Up
THE HURT LOCKER – 466 Votes – Including 37 from Up
AVATAR – 244 Votes – Including 23 from Up
UP IN THE AIR – 156 Votes – Including 18 from Up *** ELIMINATED ***

Round 8

INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS – 556 Votes – Including 71 from Up in the Air
THE HURT LOCKER – 530 Votes – Including 64 from Up in the Air
AVATAR – 265 Votes – Including 21 from Up in the Air *** ELIMINATED ***

Round 9

INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS – 694 Votes - Including 138 from Avatar *** WINNER ***
THE HURT LOCKER – 653 Votes – Including 123 from Avatar *** ELIMINATED ***

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1267717810
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I would also be happy to tabulate results...I know you have a lot on your plate OG.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Big Magilla wrote:I had a rather long post that got lost in Cyberspace when the site temporarily went down so I'll just say that for me The Hurt Locker was the only film of 2009 that I was completely engrossed in.

With all the movies you saw, you were only completely engrossed in ONE?? Wow. ???

Edited By Damien on 1267569134
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

11 out of 28 is not a majority and in the one "example" video I saw, it's possible that the film leading the initial poll didn't always end up on top in the end.

I would tabulate it, but it would have to be sent in private because that's how actual ballots would be sent.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

OscarGuy wrote:I almost think we should do the Preferential Balloting method to determine this thing on the board, just to see how things would have come out.
Totally agree. Anyone interested in tabulating?
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Sabin wrote:Y'know, I've yet to watch District 9 again. I was rather passionate about in lieu of the fact that it becomes absolutely silly with contrivance as it goes along. There's little rhyme or reason for this laboratory jail break or why anything happens to his arm in relation to this fuel canister, but, as it "devolves" into an action film at the end, I must say it's a rather good [action film].
It IS a good action movie, but it had the potential to be so much more. I wouldn't say that it's better than An Education by the way, though I know you had problems with that movie.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I liked a lot of Up in the Air but not the way it was falsely sold as a tribute to the unemployed.

Is this really a legitimate complaint about the film, or rather the ad department? I see nothing in the film worth carping about, although the fact that it's directed by one of cinema's nepotistic success stories makes it feel that way. How did audiences feel about Sullivan's Travels, directed by Preston Sturges, Man of the People & Salt of the Earth?

By the way, I saw District 9. The first twenty minutes I found very promising and original - the feeling of living in a ghetto was very well portrayed, and it really reminded me of my time in Sabra and Shatila, Lebanon, a place I've come to know very well. It worked both on a realistic level and on a metaphorical one, and it led me to expect something I haven't seen in a long time - an intelligent, multi-layered science fiction movie. But the movie doesnt only last twenty minutes unfortunately, and my expectations fell one by one as it became quite quickly typical action fare, so the political and social context was cynically used and then conveniently forgotten. It could have been much better - a pity. As it is, it certainly deserve some technical nods, but absolutely not Best Picture or Best Adapted Screenplay.

Y'know, I've yet to watch District 9 again. I was rather passionate about in lieu of the fact that it becomes absolutely silly with contrivance as it goes along. There's little rhyme or reason for this laboratory jail break or why anything happens to his arm in relation to this fuel canister, but, as it "devolves" into an action film at the end, I must say it's a rather good [action film]. And Sharlto Copley is quite engrossing as a lead character. I remember thinking it was one of the best films of the year when I first saw it and now I think (preceding a second viewing) it absolutely cannot be. But it holds a special place in my heart for being the only "video game movie" that I honestly think is quite good. Does it deserve a Best Picture nomination? No, but I think there's far more to complain about in An Education, Precious, and sight-unseen The Blind Side.

Sabin, you knew you could count on me to join you at Serious Man. (Though, if I thought this counted, I'd have voted for Up in the Air, as the only possibility of heading off Hurt Locker)

Words from a true lamedvav.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sabin, you knew you could count on me to join you at Serious Man. (Though, if I thought this counted, I'd have voted for Up in the Air, as the only possibility of heading off Hurt Locker)

Oscar Guy, as I said elsewhere, there are too many committed first place voters here for Locker to make preferential voting much matter.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I almost think we should do the Preferential Balloting method to determine this thing on the board, just to see how things would have come out.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

The Hurt Locker.

I mean, if the Broadcast Film Critics chose it, it must be the right choice! :p
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I can't vote yet. I must confess, I fell asleep 10-15 minutes into "The Hurt Locker" and didn't wake up until the final shot which left me thinking I wandered into "(500) Days of Summer".
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I've said it once already but I'll say it again, none of these films are worthy of inclusion of a 'top ten films' of the year.

An Education was my choice.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I voted for Up in the Air - though, to be honest, I still haven't seen three of the nominees (two being quite crucial, A Serious Man and Precious - not even a Best Picture nod can lead me to go to a cinema to see Up).

Even I can't understand why so many - in the Academy and, as it seems, here too - would pick The Hurt Locker; I guess one of the reasons is that it's the movie we are supposed to like this year.

By the way, I saw District 9. The first twenty minutes I found very promising and original - the feeling of living in a ghetto was very well portrayed, and it really reminded me of my time in Sabra and Shatila, Lebanon, a place I've come to know very well. It worked both on a realistic level and on a metaphorical one, and it led me to expect something I haven't seen in a long time - an intelligent, multi-layered science fiction movie. But the movie doesnt only last twenty minutes unfortunately, and my expectations fell one by one as it became quite quickly typical action fare, so the political and social context was cynically used and then conveniently forgotten. It could have been much better - a pity. As it is, it certainly deserve some technical nods, but absolutely not Best Picture or Best Adapted Screenplay.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien wrote:I wish one of the partisans for The Hurt Locker would explain exactly what is so exceptional about the film.

To me this drearily apolitical movie with facile psychological portrayals is just another boring action flick, not much different from Stephen Hopkins's 1994 bomb-centric Blown Away.
Surely you jest. Blown Away is pure crap and the one Jeff Bridges film no one mentions.

I had a rather long post that got lost in Cyberspace when the site temporarily went down so I'll just say that for me The Hurt Locker was the only film of 2009 that I was completely engrossed in. District 9, Inglourious Basterds and Up came close, but no cigar.

I liked a lot of Up in the Air but not the way it was falsely sold as a tribute to the unemployed. I admired much of the acting in An Education and Precious but not the story lines. Avatar gave me a headache and The Blind Side has no business being an Oscar nominee.

I appreciate the artistry with which A Serious Man was made but I loath the hopelessness of it, particularly the cynical ending.

Return to “82nd Nominations and Winners”