82nd Academy Awards Nominations

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Bog wrote:Italiano, for a group like us "Best Picture Oscar Nominee The Blind Side" would easily be enough to override any good coming out of An Education and A Serious Man to send the nominees back to 5 after just one year!

Sadly, I think the Blind Side and District 9 are EXACTLY what they had dreamt (and not Star Trek and The Hangover), so we might have this for many many years to come.

You are right, of course. They got what they wanted, so they won't change it.

Big Magilla, The Blind Side ONJECTIVELY - and trust me, I know a things or two about art, I've read a few books, I mean, you know my story, come on - isn't one of the ten best movies of the year. Again: objectively. The fact that you liked it doesnt make it good, do you realize this? It's simple!

But now, of course, the prospect of Sandra Bullock winning Best Actress and making rich white Americans happy is unfortunately getting closer and closer. So in the end Big Magilla will win, Italiano will lose.

Edited By ITALIANO on 1265120196
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Hah! According to Oscar Guy, Avatar and The Hurt Locker have the same number of nominees: Nine each. Will there be a settlement between them?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

abcinyvr wrote:I am also surprised by Avatar's 9.
To put Avatar's tally in perspective LOTR The Return of the King was able to pick up 11 nominations (also without an acting nominations).
I'm happy and not at all surprised that The Hurt Locker tied Avatar for the most nominations with Ingloruious Basterds following at 8. Had the two women from the latter been nominated, as one a real possibility, certain prognosticators would have been all over it insting it was the real front-runner.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

And lost in it all is that Hurt Locker also scored 9 nods.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Sonic Youth wrote:Later on, I'm going to do something very bold. I'm going to defend Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon. Not their nominations necessarily, I don't think they deserved their noms. But neither do their performances deserve the all the derision they're getting.
It's nice to have someone doing all the hard work for me. I'm having the same sentiment too. And it's a pity the film itself was left out, especially since this seems to be such a lousy year.

And I'm happily eating my humble pie – Go Ajami!
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

OscarGuy wrote:I've posted the nominations tallies. Avatar only got 9 nominations, so it's not nearly as "beloved" as some people claimed it to be.
9 only? Wow, this must be a record. :p
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Better The Blind Side than Nine or The Hangover. Nothing really to complain about in these ten.

The Secret of Kells had an Oscar qualifying run in L.A. but doesn't "officially" open until after the Oscars. If the nominations help any film, that should be the one.

The song from Paris 36 might help boost that film's DVD rentals and sales.

Aside form those two, maybe Crazy Heart gains a few more ticket sales with Maggie Gyllenhaal's nomination. Not a bad performance, though I still think the character she plays is an old man's fantasy.

I have nothing against Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon either, though there were better choices our there - odd though that no one outside the actors' branch apparently thought much of their film.

I said early on I wouldn't mind a nomination for Penelope Cruz though again, there were better choices out there. Also, if they had to nominate a song from Nine, better they nominated the one Marion Cotillard sang than the one Kate Hudson crucified.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1265119833
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

I am also surprised by Avatar's 9.
To put Avatar's tally in perspective LOTR The Return of the King was able to pick up 11 nominations (also without an acting nominations).
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Italiano, for a group like us "Best Picture Oscar Nominee The Blind Side" would easily be enough to override any good coming out of An Education and A Serious Man to send the nominees back to 5 after just one year!

Sadly, I think the Blind Side and District 9 are EXACTLY what they had dreamt (and not Star Trek and The Hangover), so we might have this for many many years to come.

Really seems disastrous to me, I'm not sure how the voting works exactly, but this lineup sure makes Avatar look pretty damn good for a very unfortunate win....
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Hurt Locker's original score is a surprise...
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

OscarGuy wrote:I've posted the nominations tallies. Avatar only got 9 nominations, so it's not nearly as "beloved" as some people claimed it to be.
And this post exceeded my Greatest Wish. Thank you, o bearer of glad tidings. Do you have the nomination count up?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

I m glad Hans Zimmer finally got nominated after many years of nothing.
matthew
Graduate

Post by matthew »

Inglourious Basterds got shafted in the supp. actress category...
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Did anyone else get a major heart palpatation when James Cameron, and NOT Katherine Bigelow, was mentioned first in the Best Director category? I forgot that they were alphabetizing the film titles, even though they were reading off the director's names first.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I've posted the nominations tallies. Avatar only got 9 nominations, so it's not nearly as "beloved" as some people claimed it to be.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “82nd Nominations and Winners”