Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

...catching up on a few this weekend+...
The Messenger
7.5/10
I am amazed everytime I see Samantha Morton. And she is the biggest standout in this. The uncut scene in the kitchen between her and Ben Foster is hypnotizing! Why is she not a lock for a nomination?!

An Education
7.5/10

A Serious Man
8.5/10
I am so impressed! I loved it.

The White Ribbon
6.5/10
Very disappointed. For a film filled with mulitple mysterious events I waited through almost two and a half hours to an ending which revealed nothing at all!
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

The Blind Side (John Lee Hancock) - 5/10
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (Phil Lord/Chris Miller) - 7/10
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

An Education (Lone Scherfig, 2009) 7/10

I liked the 1960s atmosphere which brought back memories of the films made in Britain at the time. Also liked Carey Mulligan though don't understand why she has been compared to Audrey Hepburn. Rosamund Pike is also outstanding and I'm glad some of the London critics have recognised her performance with nominations.

Precious (Lee Daniels, 2009) 6/10

Films like this always make me think that we have our own troubles here in Pakistan while the ones in the U.S.A., in many ways, are of a more serious nature......dealing with the family unit (or lack of). What amazes me is that a Government so interested in the lives of other nations has failed to address and help out with basic issues of their own people. Yes, I know they are ''trying''.

Extremely disturbing film about child abuse and incest, with Gabourey Sidibe a standout as the damaged teenager. Mo'Nique is also very good as the abusive mother while it was a surprise to see how effective Mariah Carey is as the welfare counselor.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Law Abiding Citizen (2009) F Gary Gray 1/10

The Road (2009) John Hillcoat 4/10

Johnny Mad Dog (2008) Jean-Stephane Sauvaire 7/10

Tanner '88 (1988) Robert Altman 7/10

I finally bit the bullet and purchased the Criterion DVD of this acclaimed HBO series. I tend to find the American political process rather complex and uninteresting and thankfully the characters in Altman's satire are a very watchable lot. Pamela Reed all but steals the show.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Blade Runner - 6/10

There Will Be Blood - 10/10

Fight Club - 9/10

Requiem for a Dream - 8/10
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sherlock Holmes (Guy Ritchie, 2009) 6/10

Enjoyed Robert Downey's flippant, witty take on Holmes. Good production design and costumes but lousy cinematography.

Downey's recent surprire Oscar nod, the success of Ironman and his GG win for this film means that with the right 'serious' film role we could soon see him at the podium on Oscar night. He is now fairly well loved by the Hollywood community to win votes. He is on the verge.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Fantastic Planet (Rene Laloux) - 8/10
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

It's Complicated (Meyers) - 4/10

Middle-aged women are uncomplicated monsters. I will say that between this and Something's Gotta Give, there is one great movie = beach house(Diane Keaton + Alec Baldwin/divorce)/nudity
"How's the despair?"
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

dreaMaker wrote:An Education (2009, Lone Scherfig)

5.75/10

It's a good movie. But absolutely and totally overrated.
Does it deserve any award? No.
Does Alfred Moline deserve an Oscar nomination? No. For what?
Does Carey Mulligan deserves an Oscar nomination? NO, NO, NO and NO! She's good, but there are a thousand of roles better than this one (in this year). I can't believe people are arguing about Sandra Bullock being a bad pick, while we have Mulligan in the bag here... Save me.
Does it deserve the best picture nomination? Certainly not.
Next.
Don't expect a Christmas card from me this year. :p
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Private Worlds (Gregory La Cava, 1935) 7/10

Surprisingly an excellent film set amongst doctors at a mental institution. Great cast in Claudette Colbert, Charles Boyer, Joel McCrea, Joan Bennett, Helen Vinson and Esther Dale. Colbert deserved her best actress Oscar nomination.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Precious Doll wrote:Nine (2009) Rob Marshall 1/10

Ponderous, pretentious, derivative, muddled, and just plain bad sums up this mess. The only compliment I can give is that the singing is better then that in Mamma Mia.
A medley of American Idol wannabe's or a sketch in SNL can be a better singing exercise than that in Mamma Mia!, a film that is somehow a guilty pleasure for me but with probably the worst choices ever in voice casting, specially in the form of Brosnan, who shouldn't be allowed to be close of a mic ever again!
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Nine (2009) Rob Marshall 1/10

Ponderous, pretentious, derivative, muddled, and just plain bad sums up this mess. The only compliment I can give is that the singing is better then that in Mamma Mia.

Invictus (2009) Clint Eastwood 6/10

It's a shame that this was weighed down by the tedious rugby match scenes because it is one of the better films made about South Africa in recent times. Morgan Freeman is sublime.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

dreaMaker wrote:An Education (2009, Lone Scherfig)

5.75/10

Does Carey Mulligan deserves an Oscar nomination? NO, NO, NO and NO! She's good, but there are a thousand of roles better than this one (in this year). I can't believe people are arguing about Sandra Bullock being a bad pick, while we have Mulligan in the bag here... Save me.
Next.
Please name the roles that are better. Because we keep hearing that this year is bad for ladies, so I'm curious to hear a perspective especially considering that Jenny is one of the few full-bodied roles this year.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

An Education (2009, Lone Scherfig)

5.75/10

Next.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Management (Stephen Belber, 2008)

3.5/10

Awfully boring and a total miscast. I really don't get what's the deal with ugly guys who Aniston falls in love with. A lack of chemistry is overwhelming. Sometimes it works, like in two excellent movies (The Break-Up and Marley&Me), but, in the other cases, please, give me a break.
She desperately needs a hunk and a drama!

Return to “Other Film Discussions”