Zombieland (Ruben Fleischer) - 7/10
Sherlock Holmes (Guy Ritchie) - 6.5/10
Five Deadly Venoms (Chang Cheh) - 8.5/10
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Up in the Air (Jason Reitman) - 2009

9/10

Loved it. I'm ready to call it my favourite of the year.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It's out in Region 2.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Precious Doll wrote:
Reza wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:An Englishman in New York (2009) Richard Laxton 7/10

Sequel to The Naked Civil Servant has the great John Hurt repeating his role as Quentin Crisp living in New York during the last two decades of his life. It's not as interesting as the earlier film, partly because it's set during a period that I lived through myself, though it has some very moving moments.
Is this sequel a made for tv film?
Yes, by ITV in the UK. However it has been doing the festival circuit during 2009. I don't know what it was actually filmed on but it looked great on DVD.
Is the DVD already out? Amazon says it will be released on February 23.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Sherlock Holmes (Guy Ritchie) - 7.5/10

Don't understand the backlash against this movie. At. All.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Coraline (Henry Selick) - 9/10

See 2009 page.
"How's the despair?"
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Reza wrote:

Sequel to The Naked Civil Servant has the great John Hurt repeating his role as Quentin Crisp living in New York during the last two decades of his life. It's not as interesting as the earlier film, partly because it's set during a period that I lived through myself, though it has some very moving moments.
Yes, by ITV in the UK. However it has been doing the festival circuit during 2009. I don't know what it was actually filmed on but it looked great on DVD.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

It's Complicated (Nancy Meyers, 2009) 5/10

Kept wondering why Steve Martin accepted a part in this film.

Edited By Reza on 1263052680
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

The Hurt Locker (2009) Kathryn Bigelow 7/10

Certainly far superior than any other Iraq themed film to come out of the U.S. which may partially explain it's critical success. It is however no match for Nick Broomfield's powerful Battle for Haditha.

Solidly directed and well acted within the limits of the screenplay with some excellent set pieces. Bigelow's best film remains Near Dark.

His Brother's Wife (1936) W. S. Van Dyke 5/10

I'll watch anything with Barbara Stanwyck and as silly as this film is, it is surprisingly entertaining. Interesting it was originally intended for Jean Harlow.

An Englishman in New York (2009) Richard Laxton 7/10

"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I Fidanzati (Ermanno Olmi) - 7/10.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The Daytrippers (dir. Greg Mottola) - 5/10

I like Greg Mottola. I really like his handling of Superbad quite a bit. I like it whenever he directs an episode of television. I was recommended this picture by a friend of mine, one of those mid-90's forgotten quirkfests. By the end of the film, I wasn't sure if I had gained anything but I enjoyed it in parts. It's a little under-reaching in its narrative. I think a smarter film might actually start at the end of the film. But it's worth it to see Campbell Scott, Liev Schreiber, Stanley Tucci, Parker Posey, and in one scene Marcia Gay Harden so young and funny. Better things ahead with Adventureland hopefully.
"How's the despair?"
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Shadows in the Sun (2009) David Rocksavage 4/10

Jean Simmons' first big screen appearance since that terrible 'quilt' film in 1995 is a disappointment. Despite her prominent role she doesn't really have very much to do other then utter some inane dialogue.

Set in the 1960's the film appears to have autobiographically elements. It's a shame that the recollections weren't more engaging.
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

A Single Man
8/10

Beautiful subtle performance by Firth. Really impressed with Julianne Moore as well.
Looks fantastic, of course.
Nice to see Don Bachardy, Isherwood's partner, (very briefly) in the scene when George arrives at the College, saying, Hello Don.

If it is available I recommend Chris And Don. A Love Story
3.5/5
It fills in a lot about their life together.

Edited By abcinyvr on 1262926593

Return to “Other Film Discussions”