2010 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm all about spreading the love around and I was rather surprised to see both LL Cool J and RHCP on the list since I didn't even know they'd been recording for that long...and definitely in the case of LL Cool J, I couldn't understand why they were on the list to begin with. I may not be a musical historian, but there are certainly more important musicians out there than LL Cool J.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Eric wrote:Re: Janet (and, for that matter, ABBA and Donna) ... I wasn't even passing judgement subjectively. Who am I to? I love Janet more than the Beatles or Bob Dylan (especially Bob Dylan!).

I was more arguing that there are certainly some who question how loose the definition should be on the "Rock & Roll" component of the institution's title. Kiss and Kiss fans, mainly.

I heard a nerdy guy on the elevator complaining to his nerdy buddy that it's outrageous that Kiss and Alice Cooper aren't in the Hall of Fame while Percy Sledge is. I looked at him more with pity than disdain.

Edited By Damien on 1253997118
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The R&R HoF long ago abandoned their solely-R&R nomenclature. They've inducted Jazz artists, Rap artists, Country artists and even plenty of R&B folk already inducted.

Most of the artists we're talking about, many of whom have ardent non-admirers on this board, have influenced future generations of artists.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Re: Janet (and, for that matter, ABBA and Donna) ... I wasn't even passing judgement subjectively. Who am I to? I love Janet more than the Beatles or Bob Dylan (especially Bob Dylan!).

I was more arguing that there are certainly some who question how loose the definition should be on the "Rock & Roll" component of the institution's title. Kiss and Kiss fans, mainly.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Penelope wrote:And, in defense of ABBA:

Elvis Costello took lines from Dancing Queen for one of his own songs and told Rolling Stone he kept ABBA Gold in his car and studied their technique.

U2 were strongly influenced by ABBA and had Bjorn and Benny performing onstage.

The Sex Pistols reached out to ABBA and were hardcore fans.

Led Zeppelin went to their concerts.

Kurt Cobain heavily admired their melodies and influenced his songwriting.

People who have covered their songs have confessed how difficult they are--especially those masterful harmonies that the ladies achieved.
I still find them unlistenable.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

And, in defense of ABBA:

Elvis Costello took lines from Dancing Queen for one of his own songs and told Rolling Stone he kept ABBA Gold in his car and studied their technique.

U2 were strongly influenced by ABBA and had Bjorn and Benny performing onstage.

The Sex Pistols reached out to ABBA and were hardcore fans.

Led Zeppelin went to their concerts.

Kurt Cobain heavily admired their melodies and influenced his songwriting.

People who have covered their songs have confessed how difficult they are--especially those masterful harmonies that the ladies achieved.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Entirely unfair comparison. TTT and Vanilla Ice were relative one-hit wonders.

Janet Jackson has had six number one studio albums (more than her brother, mind you).

Billboard magazine ranks her as one of the top ten best-selling music artists in contemporary music history, selling more than 100 million albums around the world. RIAA lists her as the 11th best selling female artist in history.

Her music videos have influenced countless others and with Pleasure Principle, Rhythm Nation, Love Will Never Do Without You and That's the Way Love Goes among the most famous.

She has 10 number one singles on the Bill board charts, just three less than her brother Michael and also below only The Beatles (20), Whitney Houston (11), Madonna (12), The Supremes (12), Mariah Carey (18), Elvis Presley (17), and tied with Stevie Wonder.

She's had 27 top 10 singles, tying Mariah Carey, Stevie Wonder and Elton John and coming in only behind Michael, The Beatles, Elvis and Madonna. And if you count B-sides that charted separately, she would pop above Michael and come in behind only Madonna, Elvis and the Beatles with 29.

Her Rhythym Nation 1814 album had 7 top ten hits, a feat only accomplished by two other albums, Thriller and Born in the USA.

Grammys: She's the only artist to receive nominations in Dance, Pop, Rap, Rock and R&B Categories. She has 28 Grammy nominations and five Grammies.

So, it's not like she doesn't have critical acclaim to back up her amazing success. So, how that compares with Vanilla Ice or TTT is a leap in logic that completely escapes me.
Wesley Lovell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

My favorites growing up were Tony, Toni, Tone and Vanilla Ice...I don't want either to ever get into the Hall of Fame.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Meh. She was my favorite artist growing up...so, of course, I want her to make it in some day.
Wesley Lovell
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

OscarGuy wrote:Shouldn't Janet Jackson be eligible for this thing? Or did she get inducted and I missed it?
I think you just gave a certain demographic on this board an aneurysm.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

dws1982 wrote:I say it most every year, but: Gram Parsons.
I knew there was somebody I was forgetting.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Shouldn't Janet Jackson be eligible for this thing? Or did she get inducted and I missed it?
Wesley Lovell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I say it most every year, but: Gram Parsons.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Of these nominees, I'd vote for the Chili Peppers, Darlene Love, Laura Nyro, the Chantels and the Hollies. Cliff.

But these non-nominees should be at the front of the line to get in: The Marvelettes, Jerry Butler, Tom Waits, Randy Newman, Phil Ochs, Mary Wells, Willie Nelson and Joe Tex.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I'd vote for Donna Summer, ABBA and The Hollies.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”